dadsgts

So You Want A Turbo Huh?

43 posts in this topic

Being the new guy here, I noticed alot of people are unsure about turboing their 4b11-4b12 engines.

First thing you need is a decent parts list here is a collection of parts that will work for the 4b engines. Some parts need minor mods to work but nothing serious.

Manifold: Evo x and Ra. Bolt up work just fine. Any after market evo x or ra can work too.

Turbo: RA is a single scroll turbo. The stock wastgate is safe for boosting a lancer. The evo x on the other hand runs a stock 11psi. A little dangerous for a new tuner. 7-8 psi is safe on the 10:1 compression with proper supporting mods.

Injectors: Ra and evo x bolt right in and do the job well.

Intercooler: Ra and evo x fit just fine.

Intercooler piping: You can use either stock Ra or evox. Both will require removing the battery and putting it in the trunk ( use a sealed gel type battery EG; optima)My thoughts on this are dont be a wussy buy hard piping and do it right.

Oil and coolant line: Tapping the oil pan is the best for the oil return. Using a steel 10 an weld in bung. Oil feed can be found on the front of the block under the pcv valve. It's a hex head plug. Once unscrewed provides plenty of fresh filtered oil for your turbo. The coolant is simple. On the throttle body is a coolant line feed one side into the top of the turbo, the one side into the bottom completing the path for coolant to run.

Guages needed at first are simple. Boost and a/f wideband. Aem is the way to go!

The things you will run into using evo x parts. The downpipe needs to be modded to fit. The lower intercooler piping will need to be modded to fit. That's it.

Seriously this is a super easy job. Anybody who can change brakes can do this. Takes one weekend to install most parts. The hold up is the two things mentioned. I payed somebody to weld those things for me. Also the oil pan was removed and welded as well by the same place.

Tuning i have a solution. Total cost $190 tactrix cable. Ecu flash free. A tunable rom for the 4b11-4b12 free. Pm me for details on the rom please.

All that being said this job should cost no more then $2000 and 1 full weekend of work. Alittle dyno tuning and your done.

Please add if i left something out or feel free to ask questions.

Awesome info man! This will make things a lot easier for those who want to boost.. Should be pinned!

So any word on turbo CVTs?

Have you turbo your own car in this or in a similar manner? Great post, enjoyed reading it. :thumbup:

thumbs up for great info man , about time people starts to understand that that rrm turbo is nuts , too expensive, plus u have to pay shipping and installation well done newbie

thumbs up for great info man , about time people starts to understand that that rrm turbo is nuts , too expensive, plus u have to pay shipping and installation well done newbie

You wouldn't know the difference and you amound of money YOU will spend paying someone to install either negates the price difference, as ot seems you don't know how to turn a wrench, only talk about it.

Anyway, good post, isn't this similar to the write up you did previously though?

You wouldn't know the difference and you amound of money YOU will spend paying someone to install either negates the price difference, as ot seems you don't know how to turn a wrench, only talk about it.

Anyway, good post, isn't this similar to the write up you did previously though?

Yeah pretty much the same thing i did on 9g lancers. I posted it for this forum as well just in case.

Have you turbo your own car in this or in a similar manner? Great post, enjoyed reading it. :thumbup:

I used all evo x parts and now run a turbo 08 lancer gts. 11psi of boost self tuned.

Awesome info man! This will make things a lot easier for those who want to boost.. Should be pinned!

So any word on turbo CVTs?

You can turbo a 4b11 cvt. So far the 4b12 cvt has had nothing but failures. The 4b11 cvt can be turboed using low boost 6psi. You would need a 5 psi wastegate for the RA or EVO x turbo thats all. Same process as a manual just diffrent settings.

someone needs to pinned this

thanks for the info dadsgts

Good info pinned and a bit later I'll edit and format it a bit better if you don't mind.

+1 good man thats what i did

You can turbo a 4b11 cvt. So far the 4b12 cvt has had nothing but failures. The 4b11 cvt can be turboed using low boost 6psi. You would need a 5 psi wastegate for the RA or EVO x turbo thats all. Same process as a manual just diffrent settings.

Tempting but im gonna go with all bolt ons first :)

Tempting but im gonna go with all bolt ons first :)

That's normal route for most, just make sure you understand that nearly everything you buy performance wise, will be of no use to you ( aside from most of the exhaust and a pulley ) will be useless if you decide to go turbo later.

Well, I would only be aiming at CAI, cat back, header, flash, and pulley (performace wise) I really don't even need the turbo right now. Long story.... I just want something around 200hp and a nice engine sound. Later down the road I'll grab a car that's turboed outta factory... Probably non Mitsubishi.

Well, I would only be aiming at CAI, cat back, header, flash, and pulley (performace wise) I really don't even need the turbo right now. Long story.... I just want something around 200hp and a nice engine sound. Later down the road I'll grab a car that's turboed outta factory... Probably non Mitsubishi.

i agree im thinking the same

I know this gives a basic break down of the parts and what not. This is good. However, if there was a bit more information, like the reasons why not to go this route or that route, would be helpful for people to know down the line.

Other than that, great stuff! Still waiting on the exact details you had with yours dadsgts :)

good info man rep to you for taking the time to put it up. Also, it would be a good idea to advantages and disadvantages as Carlos stated to boosting the 4B11 and the 4B12 just so people who are interested and get a well rounded picture.

Great write up... Definitely some useful information....

A few people requested reasoning for doing this. Aside from a huge ego boost it all boils down to power. There is no right answer here. For the most part its foolish to turbo a na car. Produces more strain on the engine killing the life of all parts from engine to suspension. Voids warranties and creates alot of unneeded stress on you the driver. With that out of the way the only reason to do this is again power.

Also people requested facts on turboing the 4b11 and 4b12.

They are the same casting in a sense. The 4b12 with its longer stroke and larger bore makes for a nasty torque monster when turboing. The 4b11 with its square bore and stroke has the potential to rev much higher and withstand more abuse. Both engines offer impressive power when turboed but each motor has a done fall or short coming. The 4b12 runs a higher compression and a taller deck height. While you wouldnt think .5 compression and another few mm would make a huge change it can. That half of a compression point equals out to about 3 lbs less boost being able to run. 6-7 lbs safely on the 4b12 verses the 7-10 on the 4b11. Every setup is diffrent and will require much needed tuning. The biggest thing between the two engines is aftermarket parts. The 4b12 being local to the unitied states will offer limited support. The 4b11 being able to share many of the parts from the evo x puts it in favor of performance. The 4b12 would need custom pistons made. The 4b11 can use evo x pistons and rods.

Now lets talk turkey for a minute. There are many rumors and real kits for turbing the 4b11-4b12 engines. The RRM kit while over priced suits a certain type of buyers. This kit is for the weekend enthusist. While not the best kit on the market it has everything needed to be a bolt on kit. The price tag is a little steep considering i did mine for $1300 less then theirs and produces more power.

The real driver or tuner will opt for the do it yourself kit. For me this was the only option. With the choice on parts it was a no brainer. You can piece your kit together in the down time ( winter ) and install in the spring. There is several options for manifolds and such for the evo x and ra turbos. The rrm uses a out dated 16 g. That turbo is heavly used in the dsm world ( which is what my backround is) i had the 16g on all three of my eclipses and each one failed at one point. The gst i had ran a evo 3 big 16 g and it lasted all but a year before needing a rebuild.

For those of you wanting a bolt on kit get the ra stuff much easier and cheaper.

want a challenge and a better turbo go evo x.

Well think my point was misunderstood, but you answered my request adequately. I wanted you to describe why you felt it was better to use an Evo x setup versus other kits but you answered that question perfectly.

And you went even further with describing the differences between both n/a engines and their pros and cons wih boosting.

Thank you very much for this information. If you could post a dyne sheet and/or whatever other information you can, I think the community will greatly value it and you for your assistance and help.

I would sticky this... But it has already been done ! Good luck on your build buddy, and hope you keep boosting ;)

I think that the best approach is getting a lightly used RA 2009 with few tweaks you can do easily without any special skill 13's. Want to go to 12s with stronger high end slap in some EvoX hardware (turbo system).

You will end up with a killer perfectly working Lancer without much trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here in the philippines...i've seen a turbo 4b11 both m/t and a/t....

M/T can produced up to 230whp...7-8psi... that includes Intake and Piggyback(Unichip) + the Turbo kit...while the CVT can only produce 181whp with the same Kit...intake and Unichip...

my suggestion is if you have a Lancer CVT just go to the basic upgrades IHE and piggyback

here in the philippines...i've seen a turbo 4b11 both m/t and a/t....

M/T can produced up to 230whp...7-8psi... that includes Intake and Piggyback(Unichip) + the Turbo kit...while the CVT can only produce 181whp with the same Kit...intake and Unichip...

my suggestion is if you have a Lancer CVT just go to the basic upgrades IHE and piggyback

Hey pare! Please introduce yourself in the New Members section.

Thanks for providing some input on the kits in the phils. :coolthumb:

+1 good man thats what i did

i have a 2010 lancer de cvt and was wondering what it what take to turbo my car and if it would work?

i have a 2010 lancer de cvt and was wondering what it what take to turbo my car and if it would work?

I have been running a similar evo x setup to dadsgts on my cvt for the past 11 months. 11psi in manual mode only as a dd driver with no problems. the transmission itself is more than capable of handling the current boost + in manual mode. the problem to overcome is the extra heat created and the inability of the stock oil cooler to do a job it was never designed to. Would you fit N/A oil cooler to an evo and expect the transmission not to blow? The belt and chain in the cvt were not designed to withstand the boiling temps people seem to be putting them through.... and SNAP goes the chain. their is also the fact that the transmission oil MUST be upgraded and MUST be changed on a more regular basis despite what the side of the bottle says. rrm offer a small oil cooler for your turbo cvt for $200 plus $234 delivery to australia and it even comes with a quart Mitsubishi Factory Spec CVT oil and it will connect directly to your crappy factory cooler and it will pump hot coolant from your radiator at a reduced rate in an slowly failing attempt to cool your ever increasingly boiling Mitsubishi Factory Spec CVT oil. So the answer was simple bypass/replace the stock oil cooler with something more heavy duty, add an additional cooler and route coolant through a isolated custom built coolant supply. similar to having a second smaller radiator but dedicated to the transmission alone. so short of upgrading some of the internals of the transmission, which does not seem likely to ever be available. this is a good option for higher cvt boost. total cost was just over 1k AUD. upgrade the transmission fluid (not mitsubishi factory oil) and the cooling system or DONT bother going turbo.

evo x turbo

evo x downpipe

evo x intake

megan turbo manifold + outlet

custom throttle body

evo x fuel rail setup

evo x fuel injectors

evo x fuel pump + assembly

brian crower valve springs + retainers

brian crower valves

arp head studs

Manley Pistons 4B11T