dadsgts

So You Want A Turbo Huh?

43 posts in this topic

just to give a little insight on price comparisons..if you searched for a little while you could get all the parts for under 1k. Also just a bit of info, if you get a ralliart turbo it will not bolt up to the x mani, and if getting an x turbo it will not bolt up to the ralliart mani...to some it is obvious but to others not.

if you go turbo with decent psi your going to also find your tyres are going to be a big issue. I had to disable my asc, as i initially did not have upgraded tyres.

just a question if your driving a lancer gts cvt. Do you need to drive in manual mode all the time or can you drive in regular drive with a turbo?

just a question if your driving a lancer gts cvt. Do you need to drive in manual mode all the time or can you drive in regular drive with a turbo?

that would depend entirely on the level of boost your pushing. if your running 5-7 psi with a good transmission cooler your transmission should be fine, assuming your not thrashing it. your auto-mode gears are fixed to consistently change without taking into consideration the extra heat levels caused from the boost applied, so i wouldn't personally be taking any long trips in auto mode till you get a feel for what your tranny can take. you should also take into account that without some forged internal upgrades, your engine components are going to be getting worn at a faster level, particularly in the first 5-10 or so minutes it takes to heat the engine up. just keep in mind that if you don't lift off the accelerator, your applying a constant level of boost.

I know this is an older forum but I just got a 2010 Lancer GTS M/T and Im interested in boosting it. After reading all the posts in this forum I was wondering where I could get these parts. I know It said the RA and Evo X manifold and injectors are bolt on but do I really not have to do anything else to my engine to add those? I saw the list of parts and Im going to piece the boost together little by little so i guess I'm asking where's a good place to start and where could i get these parts. Is it as simple as contacting the closest Mistu dealer and asking them to order them or is there a website you (no one in particular) prefer? Sorry if any of this seems redundant or its already been answered I just need a little more clarification. Thank you all! :thumbsup:

let me ask a quick n fast question...

i alwyz wanna owe a turbo car.. but too bad ..at our country only have lancer GT CVT version.. anyway...

this is what i planning to do 1st before i turbo charges it ...

a extra bigger cvt tramission cooler...

and a CVT temperature meter.. just incase overheating lol

so if i going to boost maximun 5psi it that going to work ?

For everyone that turbod there lancers using ralliart/evo x parts upload vids! I'll be a happy camper since there isnt a lot of videos on the 9th gen lancers

hello I need some help

first I have a 08 gts 5 speed manual

someone is selling me a 2014 RA turbo kit he said is almost complete , he told me he I will need only a blow off and tuner..

price 900 + shipping turbo is use and some parts are new.

I know some mechanic have been doing everything on car, suspension ,headers ,cutback,intake etc. Im no sure about put a turbo.

Do I have to put new pistons ? will be safe for the engine?.

how much going to cost do everything ? YOU think is a good deals $900? I can post some pics later .

or i should save that money you get a use evo x .

Im just 20 years old and I am working on my credit

hello I need some help

someone is selling me a 2014 RA turbo kit he said is almost complete , he told me he I will need only a blow off and tuner..

I know some mechanic have been doing everything on car, suspension ,headers ,cutback,intake etc. Im no sure about put a turbo.

how much going to cost do everything ? YOU think is a good deals $900? I can post some pics later .

if your planning to get a evo x i would wait on that. it takes alot of work to add a turbo. theres a few ppl on here which have done it. its basically which route you want to go either you build your car and spend money that way or wait and get an evo x which no work needs to be done. the price is good on the kit just all depends on the miles on it and also plus shippiing and blow off valve and plus tune and other little things you might need. pulleys,additives, etc your talking about almost an additional 800 dollars thats not including labor. and if you want it to come out good you need a good shop and well there not cheap. it just comes down to how dedicated you are to the build

hello I need some help

Check out the NUMEROUS turbo builds and how-tos. Take a little time and it should answer 99% of your questions.

Also for 900, I would be skeptical about how "complete" the kit is.

hello I need some help

Bro, boosting is a little complicated. I have done it, others have done it so it is possible, but you have to be commited, and be aware that you might have to take the bus once in a while...lol

There are many theads pon here, this here is only my setup: He is probably giving you only the big hardware and it is on the low side for the price. I would ask WHY is the setup for sale, how many miles on it, SHAFTPLAY too is very important. You will have basicaly only line 1 on the following setup...

http://projectlancer.net/index.php?showtopic=18864#entry288977

Turbo setup:

-ralliart complete turbo setup (td04hl)

*turbo, exhaust manifold, O2 housing, downpipe, gaskets, M10 X 1.25 turbo STUDS if not included with turbo… intercooler, intercooler piping)

-135 degree 2.5” tube to connect LICP tube to throttle body (EVO x and Ralliart throttle body is at 0 degree angle, ours is at 45 degree so it wont fit directly)

-4”min aluminium pipe to connect 135 degree with LICP

-stock ralliart wastegate

-"EVO X" sparkplug

-modified 2.5" OEM works but I got an e-bay special exhaust since I was to cut it to mke it connect with downpipe…more on that later

-OEM intake complete or aftermarket…I got a injen cold air intake, but DON’T get that, it doesn’t fit with the external transmission oil cooler setup, I had to cut and butcher it and still doesn’t fit properly. I will have to address that later, get the a short RAM air…

-manual boost controller (if you plan on rising boost later on I got a blox racing)

-an6 coolant hose

-an8 oil return braded hose

-an8 x2 90 degree braided hose end

-an8 male TD04HL oil drain adapter flange

-an8 steel weld-in bung

-an4 braided oil feed line

-an4 90 degree braided hose end

-an4 braided hose end

-an4 TD04HL oil feed adapter flange

-an4 female to 3/8 npt female adapter

-stock ralliart BOV or aftermarket if you wish.. I got a HKS ssqv4 bov

-EVO X injectors

-EVO X 3 bar MAP sensor

-AEM wideband A/F ratio gauge with sensor

-Prosport boost gauge

-Universal vacuum "T" junction

-Misc nut and bolts..

-Univesal engine oil cooler, not a must but since we are running hotter than an evo or ralliart, and they gave it, seemed logical to do so…

-an 10 braided hoses with fitting and adapter…mine came with the kit.

-PROPER sandwich plate. Don’t use the one to install sensors, use the ones for remote oil coolers.. THEY ARE DIFFERENT!

-Prosport engine oil pressure gauge

Options:

-EVO X or Ralliart intake manifold with throttle body (if you decide to use this, you won’t need the 135 degree tube)

-EVO X or Ralliart camshaft

TUNING

There is 2 ways of doing this…

a-GSR (manual) EVO X rom or the same year.. (will need to be tuned down…have codes, loose mivec. I ran with this for a month un-tuned and no issues. But DON’T RACE IT UNTILL YOU HAVE IT TUNED!!! YOULL BLOW YOUR TRANNY and ENGINE!!! This mean its relatively safe to drive to your tuner. To reactivate mivec, you will need a EVO X ECU but it works without MIVEC fine…

b-Get a custom build rom from your own vehicule (if you are good with HEX file and such…which I’m not, so I had an expert doing it.

One thing to remember, GSR rom works but have NO cvt information whatsoever in it…so your choice, both work fine.

hi all. i have been using this forum for a while but this is my first post. i drive a 2013 lancer gt m/t and am considering doing a ralliart turbo setup in the future. i know the manifolds should bolt up but am unsure of what years would fit. if anyone could share some info i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

What should I expect when I turbo my lancer? Picking up a ralliart turbo, manifold, intercooler and piping tomorrow. When would be a good time in term of milage to try and boost my car? I'm currently at 5k. Should i wait till 10k? Also when I install and do a ecu flash will I throw any codes? And if so how can I fix?

On December 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM, dadsgts said:

Being the new guy here, I noticed alot of people are unsure about turboing their 4b11-4b12 engines.

First thing you need is a decent parts list here is a collection of parts that will work for the 4b engines. Some parts need minor mods to work but nothing serious.

Manifold: Evo x and Ra. Bolt up work just fine. Any after market evo x or ra can work too.

Turbo: RA is a single scroll turbo. The stock wastgate is safe for boosting a lancer. The evo x on the other hand runs a stock 11psi. A little dangerous for a new tuner. 7-8 psi is safe on the 10:1 compression with proper supporting mods.

Injectors: Ra and evo x bolt right in and do the job well.

Intercooler: Ra and evo x fit just fine.

Intercooler piping: You can use either stock Ra or evox. Both will require removing the battery and putting it in the trunk ( use a sealed gel type battery EG; optima)My thoughts on this are dont be a wussy buy hard piping and do it right.

Oil and coolant line: Tapping the oil pan is the best for the oil return. Using a steel 10 an weld in bung. Oil feed can be found on the front of the block under the pcv valve. It's a hex head plug. Once unscrewed provides plenty of fresh filtered oil for your turbo. The coolant is simple. On the throttle body is a coolant line feed one side into the top of the turbo, the one side into the bottom completing the path for coolant to run.

Guages needed at first are simple. Boost and a/f wideband. Aem is the way to go!

The things you will run into using evo x parts. The downpipe needs to be modded to fit. The lower intercooler piping will need to be modded to fit. That's it.

Seriously this is a super easy job. Anybody who can change brakes can do this. Takes one weekend to install most parts. The hold up is the two things mentioned. I payed somebody to weld those things for me. Also the oil pan was removed and welded as well by the same place.

Tuning i have a solution. Total cost $190 tactrix cable. Ecu flash free. A tunable rom for the 4b11-4b12 free. Pm me for details on the rom please.

All that being said this job should cost no more then $2000 and 1 full weekend of work. Alittle dyno tuning and your done.

Please add if i left something out or feel free to ask questions.

I like this post and I would like to ask, would it be a good idea to get a bigger trans cooler? And maybe change the radiator ? Let me know what you think. 

Is this for real? I came across this SRT turbo video, but I have never heard anyone mention about this turbo kit install or availability for base lancers.

Any one have any idea? the shops seem to be in Baltimore, MD.

On 17/12/2010 at 4:50 AM, dadsgts said:

Being the new guy here, I noticed alot of people are unsure about turboing their 4b11-4b12 engines.

First thing you need is a decent parts list here is a collection of parts that will work for the 4b engines. Some parts need minor mods to work but nothing serious.

Manifold: Evo x and Ra. Bolt up work just fine. Any after market evo x or ra can work too.

Turbo: RA is a single scroll turbo. The stock wastgate is safe for boosting a lancer. The evo x on the other hand runs a stock 11psi. A little dangerous for a new tuner. 7-8 psi is safe on the 10:1 compression with proper supporting mods.

Injectors: Ra and evo x bolt right in and do the job well.

Intercooler: Ra and evo x fit just fine.

Intercooler piping: You can use either stock Ra or evox. Both will require removing the battery and putting it in the trunk ( use a sealed gel type battery EG; optima)My thoughts on this are dont be a wussy buy hard piping and do it right.

Oil and coolant line: Tapping the oil pan is the best for the oil return. Using a steel 10 an weld in bung. Oil feed can be found on the front of the block under the pcv valve. It's a hex head plug. Once unscrewed provides plenty of fresh filtered oil for your turbo. The coolant is simple. On the throttle body is a coolant line feed one side into the top of the turbo, the one side into the bottom completing the path for coolant to run.

Guages needed at first are simple. Boost and a/f wideband. Aem is the way to go!

The things you will run into using evo x parts. The downpipe needs to be modded to fit. The lower intercooler piping will need to be modded to fit. That's it.

Seriously this is a super easy job. Anybody who can change brakes can do this. Takes one weekend to install most parts. The hold up is the two things mentioned. I payed somebody to weld those things for me. Also the oil pan was removed and welded as well by the same place.

Tuning i have a solution. Total cost $190 tactrix cable. Ecu flash free. A tunable rom for the 4b11-4b12 free. Pm me for details on the rom please.

All that being said this job should cost no more then $2000 and 1 full weekend of work. Alittle dyno tuning and your done.

Please add if i left something out or feel free to ask questions.

You can turbo a 4A92? is 15 -  16 L mivec manual