KDMShark

How To: Change Oil

25 posts in this topic

1. Go shopping; 5w20 and an oil filter (you can tell the brands I chose)

2. Manual or auto, you want to pull the e-brake. It's a FWD car, so you want those rear wheels locked so you don't get killed.

3. If you have a floorjack, you want to raise the car from the front middle. The main crossmember is a perfect choice. If you're using the car's minijack, just put it at the jack points behind each front wheel (check the manual if you don't know where that is).

4. Time to keep the car in the air. Hopefully you have a pair of jackstands. If not, do what you gotta do.

5. OK, finally on to the dirty work. Crawl under the car with a 17mm wrench and a drain pan. Remove the stock bolt and let it drain. Grab a beer, because this is going to take a while. When it finally stops coming out, put the bolt back in and gently tighten it. Don't overdo this. (Torque spec unknown at the moment; will update when I find out.)

6. And oil filter wrench would be good, but I ended up just using a huge pair of pliers. In any case, just get this sucker off however you can. Keep the pan under it, because oil WILL drip out.

7. Now you want to install your new filter. Put a little bit of oil on it's rubber gasket (so it doesn't seize on the car). Just screw it on. Again, don't overdo it; 3,000 miles is plenty of time for it to tighten up (and it will).

8. OK, you're done under the car. You can let it down now.

(Do you really need a picture for this?)

9. Time to add some oil. Open the oil cap (on top of the motor) and gently pour in 4.2 qts. of oil.

10. Give the oil time to settle and then check the yellow dipstick to make sure you didn't over/under fill it.

11. Repeat about 3,000 miles later.

Credit Given to Blacksheepdj

make sure you start the engine before you check the level, if not it will appear overfilled... this is just untill the oil filter fills with oil. i personally wait till the oil light goes off and ur set.

Oh well, I will not have to worry about this for awhile. I have 10 more free oil changes.

thanks for the addition

Hey guys, what kind of oil filters is everyone using. Thanks in advance.

Im using the OEM filter and Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Im using the OEM filter and Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
+1

Hey guys, is it just me, or has anyone noticed that finding 5w20 oil is pretty tricky. i like using Mobil1 and its a pain in the ass to find in stores, at least the ones near me.

on another note, is it bad to change between brands of oil even if its always synthetic? just out of curiosity. thanks guys

I use Castrol GTX and Fram. I might start using AMSoil

Whatever my dealership uses as a oil filter. Gets changed every 3000 miles. As for oil, I use Mobil 1

Mobile one filter with castrol gtx

i'm stickin with a mits oil filter and mobil one. i

hey guys, can we use 0w-20? It's the same thing, is it not? thanks

I'm using Mobil1 10w30 Extended Performance 15k miles & K&N Oil Filter. No Problem, running smooth especially on highway, 110 miles daily

Thanks PL thats very helpful. Im sad to say I did not know how to change my oil.

What are your guys thoughts on synthetic vs non synth?

I'm from Canada, and I read that synth is a lot better for cold-starts, because it doesn't freeze as easily?

Thanks!

I would always go Full synthetic :)

Thanks! =D

I went full synthetic all the way!

i use Valvoline full synthetic and a K&N filter

For a n/a 4 cylinder engine, full synthetic oil isn't absolutely necessary. The RA and Evos do need synthetic.

For a n/a 4 cylinder engine, full synthetic oil isn't absolutely necessary. The RA and Evos do need synthetic.

true, and the evo has to run the 5w 30 full synthetic... im going to keep mine with mobile 1 :D

doing this tonight. just covering my bases lol. had the lancer for 3 years and never changed its oil myself. i've wrentched on it but just never the oil...

doing this tonight. just covering my bases lol. had the lancer for 3 years and never changed its oil myself. i've wrentched on it but just never the oil...

It's so easy.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk 4