Chris.EsLancer09

Tranny Swap

6 posts in this topic

Ive been really debating lately what to do and I believe I wanna do and a tranny swap to a standard , I'm just not getting fun out of a automatic transmisson and if i continue to mod out my car it only fits it if i do. So does anybody know how much the standard tranny by itself would cost cause ill prolly end up doing the rest myself sense im pretty handy and what else id have to do to convert it to standard. Also while I'm at it any additional mods. Also does anyone know anything about rear wheel conversion? Information much appreciated.

Would be cheaper to just trade it in for a Ralliart.

i agree with matchstick.....its gonna cost alot

Transmission ranges in price from $750 up to about $1500 for a standard 5speed Lancer transmission. I think the easiest way for RWD would be to swap over everything drivetrain related from a ralliart (Rear subframe, axles, differential, arms, ect. and front of the same stuff too). The transmission should bolt right up since the X and the Ralliart both use the same TCSST transmission, same bolt patterns and allocated space from the 5speed. The Ralliart and Lancer have the same frame/ chasis and track width, so everything should bolt right up under the car. You might have to cut and raise the bottom end of the trunk to get the rear differential to fit. Take off all the sensors, and replace the differential's output assembly with one that leaves out the splines to drive the front wheels and cap the output holes in the transfer case. Then you should have a RWD Lancer

I'm thinking about doing this but I'm not sure if the ralliart rear parts would be strong enough to handle 100% of the power. As soon as I find that out and find a way to get a custom bell housing to match the 6G75 and 5speed evo x gsr transmission together (I'll probably use the 6speed tranny from an Eclipse if the engine mounts differently), I'll start progress on doing this build. I also need to find a recked ralliart that I can take parts from and a Evo X GSR transmission, those are the hardest things to find.

Total cost (not including labor) would probably be around $4,500, maybe slightly more for random misc. parts (Or if you get parts from an expenwive junkyard). Honestly, it might be easier to do an AWD swap than a RWD swap, even-though you'd essentially use the same parts.

Transmission ranges in price from $750 up to about $1500 for a standard 5speed Lancer transmission. I think the easiest way for RWD would be to swap over everything drivetrain related from a ralliart (Rear subframe, axles, differential, arms, ect. and front of the same stuff too). The transmission should bolt right up since the X and the Ralliart both use the same TCSST transmission, same bolt patterns and allocated space from the 5speed. The Ralliart and Lancer have the same frame/ chasis and track width, so everything should bolt right up under the car. You might have to cut and raise the bottom end of the trunk to get the rear differential to fit. Take off all the sensors, and replace the differential's output assembly with one that leaves out the splines to drive the front wheels and cap the output holes in the transfer case. Then you should have a RWD Lancer

You could actually swap it all from a ralliart , the truck floor need not be raised for diff. , It would need be raised for the muffler ( found this out when putting RA muffler on my Gts ) , but relocating muffler hangers cures that .

Diff is located in rear subframe and thats just a direct swap for ours.

I've been reseaching this quietly for awhile , waiting to find donor RA , have money just waiting to find one cheap that isn't totally smashed up. Last one i found went for $12,600 at auction.