Angeal

Turbo-Charging Part 1

73 posts in this topic

Thanks bud for the input. Others can take from this to but I just talked to Road Race Motorsports who have the turbo kit for both the CVT and manual transmissions. Its actually the same kit and completely compatible with both trans. From what they told me, not sure if this is true, even though the hp% increase is lower for the CVT the fact that the car is constantly "in boost" its faster than a manual transmission. Now if that's decided by the driver, I have no idea. The turbo kit though is completely interchangeable regardless of trans, so for those who are curious or want to experience both might be a good idea to buy it for the CVT, try it and if you don't like it, swap out the trans. Think that's gonna be my plan of action unless this performance shop I'm about to visit convinces me otherwise :)

Well the problem with that is what most of this community will tell you: No one really trusts RRM. They make some great products but they've been less than forthcoming with information about their turbo CVT. You're welcome to try but you may end up dealing with more trouble than it's worth. Just a friendly warning. If you do decide to do it be sure to document everything!

Sadly I don't think Angeal will be responding to you but I can answer a few of your questions.

Concerning the Transmission: Yes a transmission swap would be your best bet. The CVT doesn't react well to boost and because of that most people avoid boosting them all together. If you are going to go boost it's recommended you use a manual. You can do it with a CVT but I wouldn't. My opinion there.

Concerning the Engine & Tranny Limits: Our very own Rolly hit 247 WHP! Without a from differential I'd say it's hard to control. You can't just go about laying the power down and the mere stress you put upon the engine and drivetrain begins to limit you. Honestly even with the stock 5 Speed I wouldn't take it past 275WHP simply because after that Front Wheel Drive cars become hard to control. You get torque steel, wheel slip, and of course without an LSD Wheel Spin which will essentially make all of your power building worthless.

My advice to you: If you plan to boost it, be sure to get a LSD so that you can put the power down. You'll need nice wide wheels and good tires to make sure everything is managed in order to balance the power with how the car handles.

Forged Internals: We can simply use the Evolution's internals as far as I know. I may be wrong. Double check that.

The transmission will detonate and blow up at some point. I'd look into using a Evo X 5 speed but I can't say whether or not it fits.

X clutch will not work....

the stock clutch is rated at like 225wtq..it wont make it past tuning, you have to upgrade, there are plenty out there.

Thanks bud for the input. Others can take from this to but I just talked to Road Race Motorsports who have the turbo kit for both the CVT and manual transmissions. Its actually the same kit and completely compatible with both trans. From what they told me, not sure if this is true, even though the hp% increase is lower for the CVT the fact that the car is constantly "in boost" its faster than a manual transmission. Now if that's decided by the driver, I have no idea. The turbo kit though is completely interchangeable regardless of trans, so for those who are curious or want to experience both might be a good idea to buy it for the CVT, try it and if you don't like it, swap out the trans. Think that's gonna be my plan of action unless this performance shop I'm about to visit convinces me otherwise :)

I can promise you..if you boost your CVT and try and push it to the limits that I had mine you wont have a car for very long. My clutch dumped on me after about 1 month. if you boost it, you better have a couple G's saved back for tranny upgrades

X clutch will not work....

the stock clutch is rated at like 225wtq..it wont make it past tuning, you have to upgrade, there are plenty out there.

I mean the entire X trans assembly. Do you mean to say the X Clutch won't bolt up?

I mean the entire X trans assembly. Do you mean to say the X Clutch won't bolt up?

I see, hmm not sure about the whole tranny or not. I do know the X clutches are different then Lancers..When I got my Evo, I emailed SPEC to see if they were similar at all bc i would have taken my clutch out of the Lancer if so, but he emailed me back and said there was absolutely nothing similar about them, haha!

few questions. is this guide for compatable for a lancer GTS? i have a manual 09 and looking to boost. and about how much does the whole setup cost for a good solid build?

Well over 2years now and over 50,000 kilometers spent. still no issues so the build has been solid.

one day

My lancer is at 270hp and when I first got her on the dyno the clutch wasn't having it at all so my shop tuned her down to 238hp until I upgraded my clutch. Once I got the new clutch they were able to tune her to 270hp with 293lbft Tq. Torque steer isn't as bad at I thought at all. I upgraded my tires to 245s and she still spins but you get used to it. You just have to know how to drive. I wouldn't say an LSD is needed until you hit 300lbft. 293 isn't bad at all. Definitely listen to Rolly the CVT isn't the best set up for F/I. I wouldn't go with RRM either. They're way over priced for a sub par product. Woody91 you're down in Corpus Christi? I'm in San Antonio! Did you go to the Cupcake Meet down there?

I can promise you..if you boost your CVT and try and push it to the limits that I had mine you wont have a car for very long. My clutch dumped on me after about 1 month. if you boost it, you better have a couple G's saved back for tranny upgrades

Is'nt Angeal lancer a CVT? From what I can remember you just need to upgrade to a better tranny oil cooler...I just don't know which one to use for my setup...I plan on using RA setup but still haven't found anyone to tune or program the ECU where I live....

Is'nt Angeal lancer a CVT? From what I can remember you just need to upgrade to a better tranny oil cooler...I just don't know which one to use for my setup...I plan on using RA setup but still haven't found anyone to tune or program the ECU where I live....

Angeals build is one in a million. He really did his homework. Aint nuttin to it but to do it..haha.

I'm not saying its easy, but it can be done. I am not as experienced as him but I'm willing to try it. I'm not stupid either, I'm not going to slap a turbo just like that, put it to 11PSI and floor the crap out of it, I'm trying to slowly do it, taking my time to do it right. Right now, I'm upgrading the tranny with a GTS oil cooler/warmer since mine has not the fitting to put a external oil cooler and sportronic floor shifter assembly ....one step at a time :thumbsup: ... My only issue is tuning, building the mechanical part is the easiest...need to find someone to put the ralliart rom in my ecu...

My lancer is at 270hp and when I first got her on the dyno the clutch wasn't having it at all so my shop tuned her down to 238hp until I upgraded my clutch. Once I got the new clutch they were able to tune her to 270hp with 293lbft Tq. Torque steer isn't as bad at I thought at all. I upgraded my tires to 245s and she still spins but you get used to it. You just have to know how to drive. I wouldn't say an LSD is needed until you hit 300lbft. 293 isn't bad at all. Definitely listen to Rolly the CVT isn't the best set up for F/I. I wouldn't go with RRM either. They're way over priced for a sub par product. Woody91 you're down in Corpus Christi? I'm in San Antonio! Did you go to the Cupcake Meet down there?

CCM's this Saturday. I was gonna go, but $$$ issues came up :(

I'm not saying its easy, but it can be done. I am not as experienced as him but I'm willing to try it. I'm not stupid either, I'm not going to slap a turbo just like that, put it to 11PSI and floor the crap out of it, I'm trying to slowly do it, taking my time to do it right. Right now, I'm upgrading the tranny with a GTS oil cooler/warmer since mine has not the fitting to put a external oil cooler and sportronic floor shifter assembly ....one step at a time :thumbsup: ... My only issue is tuning, building the mechanical part is the easiest...need to find someone to put the ralliart rom in my ecu...

Not 100% sure on this, but you will probably brick your ECU with a RA rom because its an SST. But im not sure how it works with the CVT. Manual Lancers use GSR roms.

Got a point... :banghead: Guess if my setup doesn't work, I'll have a very well cooled STOCK lancer cvt...

Still going to try it though....Any suggestions on the ECU? As you can see, I am not an expert, do you flash the stock ECU or do you do a swap? Is the swap a direct plug in? I'm used to old school carburated car but I figure I should "evolve" to the new system....It was easier though...good time and gas was cheaper too!

CCM's this Saturday. I was gonna go, but $$$ issues came up :(

Some buddies and I planned on going but I got stuck with a deployment so instead of me being in Corpus Christi with dope cars I'm in this hell hole...That sucks tho man. Sorry to hear that.

Not 100% sure on this, but you will probably brick your ECU with a RA rom because its an SST. But im not sure how it works with the CVT. Manual Lancers use GSR roms.

Rolly wasn't there a guy on 9g that said he successfully boosted his CVT? I'm pretty sure he was located in San Antonio too but when everyone started asking for pics and dyno sheets he kind of fell off the face of the earth. Lol

yup, he was a troll

I will try to send some pics when I get started...I'll keep "project lancer" members in the loop. My only issue, still, is tuning...I've pm a couple of turbo CVT owners, but did not get a response back on my issues. It seems I'll have to get tactrix cables and LEARN do it myself cause no one here in Ottawa seems to have done it before...But that mean getting a beater while I'm ding this...Can't promise anything, specially success, but I will try.

O.K. Sport shifter from GTS ordered....when it gets here I'll start a theard on how to do it and if it work...Hope it work, will be able to finaly shift on virtual gears!!!!

Seabass on 9g is from Quebec. I don't know how fare that is from you but he tuned his own lancer and its putting done some amazing numbers. You should hit him up. He could probably give you some great pointers.

Only losers turbo cars that started as N/A.

Just sayin.

Yeah, why would someone want to spend a few extra grand on they're n/a lancer to have lancer that is more powerful than an evox?

Nah mate, I think it's only supporting members that contribute nothing but think they can ruin other supporting members threads that are losers. Go troll some other thread cos HERE you have no idea what your on about.

Yeah, why would someone want to spend a few extra grand on they're n/a lancer to have lancer that is more powerful than an evox?

Nah mate, I think it's only supporting members that contribute nothing but think they can ruin other supporting members threads that are losers. Go troll some other thread cos HERE you have no idea what your on about.

Lol don't take that seriously. He is In the process of turboing his na lancer.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Guys, just don't forget what modding is all about...I my days (by the way, not too long ago..) we called it rodding, its all about trying to accomplish something to be proud of, from swapping a 4 cyl engine to a v8 (did it with a 85 mustang), dropping down a vehicule by heating coils with a torch or inverting leafs on a suspension...to installing aftermaket parts on newer car ect. Some people can afford evos some porshes and gt-40 while your at it. In my mind, if I wanted, I could buy an evo, or put myself in dept buying a skyline but money will have done that, not skills. Yes people do boost evos and they should be proud but just to buy one a boast has no value in mind...you just bought someone's work. And it is also a blast to work on and see the end state.

Please stay positive on these threads, don't trash if this is not you cup of tea, just don't reply, we don't mind warnings its part of the game. We are all doing what we like here: fooling around with expensive toy and its a hobby, not a competition.

We have a saying where I'm from, DO WHAT YOU CAN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!

Thanks everyone...the majority of you have been a great help to me and its appreciated and will return the favour if I can.

Happy rodding....I mean "modding" everyone!!!!!

Seabass on 9g is from Quebec. I don't know how fare that is from you but he tuned his own lancer and its putting done some amazing numbers. You should hit him up. He could probably give you some great pointers.

I actualy did already and had great advice...And also Angeal, he also had very very good advice ... :headbang2: Let's just say I owe him a few beers...If I ever take a vacation in Australia!