Angeal

Turbo-Charging Part 1

73 posts in this topic

Touchy touchy, people. Learn to take a joke.

I have been modding since before most of you were born. If you search threads, you will find I can be very helpful. I also can poke fun.

Anyways, you will never be close to an Evox with a CVT. I am not even close with my manual tranny. The cvt is a very poor platform for boost. That being said, RRM does have a cvt kit available, now

By the way, I didn't think that of you, normaly your post are informative (I've been reading a lot), but not all know that and opens the door to others.

Frankly I don't care who is who or when they started modding, good advice is good advice. I've seen good young mechanics and bad ones, I've seen good old school mechanics and bad mechanics that have been doing it for a long time too...

Like I said, THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION!

Will I be close to a evo? Maybe,most likely not...I DONT CARE! If I want an evo, I'll buy one, I just want a project...My car is paid in full, took me 2 year to pay it off. Now I can do what I want with it and if it breaks, well at least the banks will not be after my behind. Most evo owners are still owing the banks at least half their cars...Not a good deal if you bust it!

Now gentlemen, if we may continue this on my thread (On The Road To A Badass (I Hope!) Cvt Lancer!) I will be happy to discuss why I want to do it and any other queries you may have, lets leave this member's thread alone, unless we want to amend something with something usefull, It is a good guide and let's leave it that way.

Cheers

Yep. Sorry, Angeal. I just realized this was your thread. Lots of good info in post 1.

Comparisons are going to happen regardless. Its nothing new and it comes with the territory.

Ive spoken to Angeal many times over the last couple of years with both of the special projects and info has changed since many started these sorts of builds. Some things that we were told 'no cant be done dont even bother' end up being the opposite; many of it was using Evo parts on the standard 4B11 engines. Most of the parts are interchangeable, there are obvious parts that do need extra work. There not many parts that are strictly Evo only.

The transmission. Its always been one area that has never had any concrete information. Reason being it is a subject that is too varied. Every one of them was done differently. Some brought the RRM kits and left it at that, others went other ways. The CVT can take a decent amount of power but at the same time you dont need to be making too much power to get good results. The FWD Lancers dont need to be making the same numbers as an Evo to get good results. We have a lower initial weight and lower drive train loss; that can be used as an advantage.

What does happen when these things go bang is the owners will blame the part they havent changed. What is the one thing CVT owners cant change? Their transmission. The mentality is because they havent changed it its caused the problem. The CVT's can comfortably take 250hp, going further you do need to look at transmission coolers to keep the heat down. Keeping the heat down will help alot. Also for manual owners too. As for RRM. I understand why they dont give out information. What RRM offer is ease of mind. They offer a package that is to suit the masses. What they offer is under the assumption you are running stock internals. They keep it within a comfortable limit (7pounds).

There are plenty of CVT owners around the world that have gone turbo and have had no problems. I do know of guys that have had bad runs too. The thing that was common with the blown owners were all in tuning and lack of information. The tunes are what make or break forced installs, if your not confident in making changes to the ECU yourself then take it to a tuner shop. Most now can work with standard 4B11 engines.

Something new that may help people out is start looking away from both the Evo and Mitsubishi. The 4B engines are not 100% Mitsubishi. For transmissions specifically, look into using Hyundai/Kia auto transmissions. I know many out there would curl up in their grave at the thought of it but when Hyundai make the bulk of our engines its something to look into. One area which can be of benefit to Lancer owners is using the GDi intake delivery systems that Hyundai/Kia use. The intake systems that some of the GDi's use are for more compact engine bays. The valved intake manifold maybe harder to work into the Lancer but if mated correctly you can have more control over the power delivery than what we currently have in the Lancers.

Comparisons are going to happen regardless. Its nothing new and it comes with the territory.

Ive spoken to Angeal many times over the last couple of years with both of the special projects and info has changed since many started these sorts of builds. Some things that we were told 'no cant be done dont even bother' end up being the opposite; many of it was using Evo parts on the standard 4B11 engines. Most of the parts are interchangeable, there are obvious parts that do need extra work. There not many parts that are strictly Evo only.

The transmission. Its always been one area that has never had any concrete information. Reason being it is a subject that is too varied. Every one of them was done differently. Some brought the RRM kits and left it at that, others went other ways. The CVT can take a decent amount of power but at the same time you dont need to be making too much power to get good results. The FWD Lancers dont need to be making the same numbers as an Evo to get good results. We have a lower initial weight and lower drive train loss; that can be used as an advantage.

What does happen when these things go bang is the owners will blame the part they havent changed. What is the one thing CVT owners cant change? Their transmission. The mentality is because they havent changed it its caused the problem. The CVT's can comfortably take 250hp, going further you do need to look at transmission coolers to keep the heat down. Keeping the heat down will help alot. Also for manual owners too. As for RRM. I understand why they dont give out information. What RRM offer is ease of mind. They offer a package that is to suit the masses. What they offer is under the assumption you are running stock internals. They keep it within a comfortable limit (7pounds).

There are plenty of CVT owners around the world that have gone turbo and have had no problems. I do know of guys that have had bad runs too. The thing that was common with the blown owners were all in tuning and lack of information. The tunes are what make or break forced installs, if your not confident in making changes to the ECU yourself then take it to a tuner shop. Most now can work with standard 4B11 engines.

Something new that may help people out is start looking away from both the Evo and Mitsubishi. The 4B engines are not 100% Mitsubishi. For transmissions specifically, look into using Hyundai/Kia auto transmissions. I know many out there would curl up in their grave at the thought of it but when Hyundai make the bulk of our engines its something to look into. One area which can be of benefit to Lancer owners is using the GDi intake delivery systems that Hyundai/Kia use. The intake systems that some of the GDi's use are for more compact engine bays. The valved intake manifold maybe harder to work into the Lancer but if mated correctly you can have more control over the power delivery than what we currently have in the Lancers.

I haven't really heard of or seen any successful Lancer CVT turbo's but hey it's a big world I'm sure there are some out there. When you pull this off you'll definitely have a unique Lancer and you should document your work as you go. A successfull CVT build should definitely be a sticky. I mean 250 on the CVT is pushing it but NA most guys struggle to break 200whp. Getting the car above 200 would be an achievement in itself. Can't wait to see how this build goes. As long as you do research and learn from other's mistakes you should be good to go. Also I'd run a transmission cooler on a boosted CVT no matter how much power I'm pushing. Better safe than sorry. Oh and on the note of having a boosted Lancer that's faster than Evos, when guys with evos look at my car and I walk them the look on their face is worth every penny I dropped into my car. :thumbsup:Forced Induction FTW!!!!

I haven't really heard of or seen any successful Lancer CVT turbo's but hey it's a big world I'm sure there are some out there. When you pull this off you'll definitely have a unique Lancer and you should document your work as you go. A successfull CVT build should definitely be a sticky. I mean 250 on the CVT is pushing it but NA most guys struggle to break 200whp. Getting the car above 200 would be an achievement in itself. Can't wait to see how this build goes. As long as you do research and learn from other's mistakes you should be good to go. Also I'd run a transmission cooler on a boosted CVT no matter how much power I'm pushing. Better safe than sorry. Oh and on the note of having a boosted Lancer that's faster than Evos, when guys with evos look at my car and I walk them the look on their face is worth every penny I dropped into my car. :thumbsup:Forced Induction FTW!!!!

Yup!

Good advice, thanks, I will also be putting a GTS shifter to get the "sportronic" on me ES...All will be documented on my thread...

On The Road To A Badass (I Hope!) Cvt Lancer

So if it blows up I my face, people can say I told you so or other peolple can learn from my mistakes...But if I'm successfull, I think will see more Forced inductionned CVT lancer...

And I know one sucessfull CVT build and he is giving me advice...He's also the author of this thread...

I have been modding since before most of you were born. If you search threads, you will find I can be very helpful. I also can poke fun.Anyways, you will never be close to an Evox with a CVT. I am not even close with my manual tranny. The cvt is a very poor platform for boost. That being said, RRM does have a cvt kit available, now

Your not close cos your build lacks the necessary components. You should pm me and I could give you some insight on how to get greater numbers.

Hey all,

I'm new to upgrading performance and stuffs. I have ES, I really want to make it run faster, more power, more acceleration, etc. I need guidance and don't know where to start. I guess the best way to begin is by asking. lol

My first question will be: Is turbo kits only for GTS and Evo, not for ES?

Thanks for reply.

Hey all,

I'm new to upgrading performance and stuffs. I have ES, I really want to make it run faster, more power, more acceleration, etc. I need guidance and don't know where to start. I guess the best way to begin is by asking. lol

My first question will be: Is turbo kits only for GTS and Evo, not for ES?

Thanks for reply.

this is not true at all. I have a turbo ES. but If i were you, I would just stick with the bolt ons, like pulley, intake exhaust, etc. A turbo build is very involved and takes a fair amount of knowledge to complete properly. But if you are set on doing a turbo build, look at Pathogen's, and my build, as well as Rolly's old build. Read through this thread as well as the thread called "teach me how to turbo".

Yeah, my car was the first Gen VRX (gts) which was basically just an es with add ons, same 4b11 engine. Will basically come down to a few questions to begin with. How much power you want? How much time u willing to spend? with how much money you want to spend? And how reliable a build you wanting?

with those questions answered, we can point you in the right direction of what build to go for.

Dont want to make a new thread about turbo when it's already here. My stock oil weight is 0w20. when I boost it, should I change it over to 5w30?

Dont want to make a new thread about turbo when it's already here. My stock oil weight is 0w20. when I boost it, should I change it over to 5w30?

yes. you really should

Will it hurt anything? Why did Mitsubishi changed the oil weights? Even if im not turboed no, shoild I go ahead switch early?

Hey guys idk if this was answered already but I have an 09 lancer de auto would this set work for it?

Hey guys idk if this was answered already but I have an 09 lancer de auto would this set work for it?

Its not an issue of will a turbo kit fit. They are all the same platform. The biggest issue lies in the transmission. Very few people have successfully maintained a CVT turbo lancer.

Sorry to bringing this old thread back again.

I would like to get the gts and evo X service manual.

Can anyone tell where I can get it

Thanks

Sorry to bringing this old thread back again.

I would like to get the gts and evo X service manual.

Can anyone tell where I can get it

Thanks

You can download the GTS manual from torrent sites. Check around and you'll find one. For the Evo X manual, there is a free to use one online. Just google "evo x manual" and it should be the first site that comes up. I've used both a lot.

Does anyone know what happened to Angeal's car?

I have an ASX 2.0 AWD CVT (4B11 engine) and I would like to turbo-charge it.

The stock engine has 160hp and I would like a 40% improvement, resulting in 224hp.

I would like to know:

1. Is a big CVT oil cooler the only transmission modification needed?

2. Did Angeal have any problems with his CVT? What was his car HP?

3. Does anyone know how much torque can the CVT really handle?

RRM (road race motors) still claims on its page (link) that they have over 70.000 miles driven with no problems reported.

I have asked them about that on FaceBook and they say it is true.

The CVT is the only point holding me back on my project.

Does anyone know what happened to Angeal's car?

I have an ASX 2.0 AWD CVT (4B11 engine) and I would like to turbo-charge it.

The stock engine has 160hp and I would like a 40% improvement, resulting in 224hp.

I would like to know:

1. Is a big CVT oil cooler the only transmission modification needed?

2. Did Angeal have any problems with his CVT? What was his car HP?

3. Does anyone know how much torque can the CVT really handle?

RRM (road race motors) still claims on its page (link) that they have over 70.000 miles driven with no problems reported.

I have asked them about that on FaceBook and they say it is true.

The CVT is the only point holding me back on my project.

ANGEAL has been gone for a while, I did manage to get in contact with him in 2013...lol

See my built thread, and Blizzard25 built and you should be good. Just to let you know, RRM or other turbo build all have little issues. Be aware that it NOT a plug and play the day after, it require alot of learning and time to get it right.

See my built thread, and Blizzard25 built and you should be good.

Thanks a lot. I will do that. I also imagine the kits are not plug and play, I have been researching for 2 months now.

T-flash, could you tell me:

1. Is a big CVT oil cooler the only transmission modification needed? (I will read both threads but still...)

2. Did you have any problems with your CVT? What is your car HP?

3. Do you know how much torque the CVT can handle?

TIA

This topic is very helpful to me.

I am form Thailand and can not effort to buy an EVO.
Mitsubishi not sale EVO here. Import EVO is 100,000 USD
Price of base CVT lancer is 35,000 USD , and No MT for sale.
I have no choice ,

So i need to install turbo with low boots on my CVT lancer as i already know , CVT will work well with low boots not exceed  0.4 bar.