Sinestra

Fog Lights Without Headlights

78 posts in this topic

Hmm - Well when I realized they weren't on I had the car running - pulled the jumper replaced the fuse and then when I plugged it back into the correct slot it blew upon contact with the power source.

Yup, it popped the fuse on the ignition. Here's what you can do to avoid this.

From the jumper, run the wire to a relay. You can even use the relay you originally removed. I'll figure out the pins when I get home. Run a power source from your battery direct to the relay, and ground as well. Output to the foglight pin. This way the fuse will just trigger the relay, not pop the fuse, and ur HID's will get power direct from the battery.

That or put in a 20amp fuse. I'd be weary of doing that though.

Yeah no dice on the bigger fuse in there. I'll have to try the Relay modification. I just dont feel like having a million wires running from my battery etc. I dunno if it fixes the problem I guess I'll have to tuck the wires cleanly etc... not the end of the world.

Thanks a bunch for following up with this.

No problem dude. I bet you can tuck them pretty clean. Run it though some existing wire loom probably.

The relay trick is actually pretty simple, you can source the 12V you'd normally get from the battery terminal from the spot where you're adding the jumper. Ground can be found on the strut tower. I've got it rigged up so I have complete control over my fogs from the OEM switch I got from an Eclipse, I just need to find the time/motovation to get the switch changed over to On/Off operation. I can draw up a diagram if anyone needs/wants it.

I would like a diagram of the relay being incorporated into this. cause I had the jumper wire with the fuse. But instead of the fuse blowing the jumper wire melted and charred the inside of the fuse cover.

Power from parking light goes to 85

Negative from parking light to 86

Power from battery to 30

Power to fog lights 87

Then you can just ground the negative for the fogs where ever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

i need help lol.. i did this today and the fog lights are working fine.. but my headlights(DRL) are still on.. am i missing something?

thanks for any help

you need the drl bypass.

i need help lol.. i did this today and the fog lights are working fine.. but my headlights(DRL) are still on.. am i missing something?

thanks for any help

i thought this mod will change the headlights to fogs for drl

No. this mod is to have the fogs light on without the headlights on. They normally don't turn on if you don't turn on your headlights.

No. this mod is to have the fogs light on without the headlights on. They normally don't turn on if you don't turn on your headlights.

2nd sentence is very confusing lol.. i guess i need the jrox bypass.. can anyone confirm this?

You cannot turn your foglights if you DON'T turn your headlights FIRST. :P you WILL need the bypass.

You cannot turn your foglights if you DON'T turn your headlights FIRST. :P you WILL need the bypass.

i know that! this mod turns your fogs all the time, but i thought drl(headlights) will be off. thanks

IMG 0177

IMG 0179

IMG 0180

IMG 0181

I did it and its awesome haha here are some pics!

Please tell me how you did this?!

I've been wanting to do this for years

I want to be able to turn my fog lights on WITHOUT having my headlight on (ie them operating independently)

so i wired up an aftermarket harness with an independent switch for my fogs however since i have aftermarket headlights in as well i can't seem to find the DRL wire to splice into on it. Would anyone on this forum happen to know which color the DRL wire is on the stock wiring harness going to the main headlights so that I can use it as my 12V remote power source that turns on when the DRLs are on? I believe the colors are yellow, blue, red, white, green, and black.

thanks in advance

can someone rewrite this up lol its the most confusing looking writeup i have ever seen, at least it doesn't look so simple .

Did anyone figure this out? I am guessing headlights need to be on for Fogs to work? Or does the Mod make switch for fogs work with headlights off?

Well another non splicing method that i used was i went to pepboys and purchased a 20$ fog light wiring kit with a switch and wired the signal to the city lights and i still have a master on/off button so i can turn them on whenever my city lights are on without my lows being on, and they turn on when i unlock my car unless the master switch is turned off

Sir, can you make a DIY for that? I also want to make my fogs turn on whenever i turn on my parklights without removing the switch.

can someone make a better tutorial? I tried this yesterday, it didn't work out for me

Sir, can you make a DIY for that? I also want to make my fogs turn on whenever i turn on my parklights without removing the switch.

I second this, i want to be able to turn on the parking lights and be able to get the fogs on without having to go full headlight mode.