6FeetDeep

New Throttle Body Installed Today!

55 posts in this topic

I did a search on here, but I didn't see anything about anyone doing this. Hopefully I wasn't blind and missed it somewhere. If I did, my apologize!

There has been alot of talk on 9G about replacing the stock throttle body with a 4G69 one out of a newer Gallant or Eclipse that has the 2.4L.

Supposedly the stock ones in the 4B12 is a 55mm & the new one is a 60mm. While not a huge size difference, it did make a small improvement in acceleration throughout the entire range.

Since I never had done this before, it took me about 3 hours. Everything went as expected. I spilled a little coolant here & there. But I would guess, less than 6oz. My reservoir was at the full mark when I started & now it is between the fill & full.

Upon starting the car, my idle stayed at 1,000 & I left it alone for a couple of minutes. Then revved it a few times & the revs fell kinda slowly, but always back down to 1,000K.

Turned the car off. Waited a minute & started it up again & it idled at 600-700RPM. Perfect!

I rolled the car down the driveway & got out the hose to rinse off everything. Went for a spin & yep, I'm happy! I'll see how it goes & see what it does as far as any improvements go 0-60 & mileage wise.

The car has a nasty little growl to it now when your coming off the gas. Sounds mean now!

I must have gotten lucky. The one I bought off of E-Bay ($100) was from an 09 Eclipse. The seller didn't have the miles listed, but I figured it's an 09....how many miles could be on it. The thing looked like new when I got it. Really a night & day difference between some of the photos I had seen on E-Bay! I'm just really surprised at how simple the whole thing was. The coolant lines were the only hassle, but all in all, things went well for this 1st timer.

Just thought I'd share my success story here. It is a nice mod to do. Now the only bad thing is......now I have to come up with my next mod. What'll it be........this modding thing never ends!

hmm ur making me want to do this now

Glad to hear things went well. Now that you've done the install you realize it was pretty easy eh?

Yeah it actually was. The only issue was the coolant lines. Thankfully there wasn't much as far as leaking goes, but enough to warrant a rinse down of the engine bay afterwards. I bought these rubber caps to go over the throttle body so it wouldn't pee out all of the fluid & they worked out really well. I ran a longer upper coolant hose & I bought new clamps & twisted them tightly & bam....all good.

Rob, it turned out to be easier than I thought. Tight spaces to work in at times, but I guess it's a good thing my hands are small. Everything that I have had done to my car has been done by me. Only thing I couldn't do was the tune which I had WORKS do for me.

Other than that, if I can't do it myself, then I don't want to do it. I am a beginner at ALL of this. I never had done something like this before or a pulley or a rear sway or exhaust. Intake yes, but still.....I am starting to love my car again simply because I can actually work on it.

I'm thinking there should be some headers in my distant future........

Lol it has def been done before but congrats on the upgrade, are you running any sort of aftermarket intake system such as an sri or cai with it?

Lol it has def been done before but congrats on the upgrade, are you running any sort of aftermarket intake system such as an sri or cai with it?

Yeah its been done but as far as I know there wasn't any real thread devoted to its discussion. Im running my TB With my Takeda and it's a beast!

that's what I'll be running soon as well, I need to get my Ralliart air duct though and then i'm finished with the intake system.

I think I'll give this a try now

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Already got my RA intake duct on the way and might even be ordering an OBX pulley today.

--Rainbow Pen Intake Cap.

--Ralliart Intake Tube.

--Injen S.R.I Intake with Hydroshield.

--Pulstar Pulse I-Series Iridium Electrode Spark Plugs.

--WORKS Performance Tune running 93 Octane.

--Magnaflow Custom Axle-Back Exhaust with Polished Tip.

--WORKS Adjustable Rear Sway Bar.

--4G69 Throttle Body

--Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley

Just got back from another drive & yes, there is a difference. It is very slight in the lower RPM's like off idle, but as the RPM's grow, so does the feeling of how it was before & now. Getting up to speed & especially passing is better than before.

Really liking this mod.

For such a cheap mod (mine was 40$ tools probably pushed the total cost to 80 maybe 90) I think this is a really great mod.

okay i'm going to install this and my pulley too this weekend. Maybe get my cat removed at a custom shop and go to the dealer for a Ralliart duct and then get another tune from rallinspired Rick.

where did you guys get your Ralliart ducts?

okay i'm going to install this and my pulley too this weekend. Maybe get my cat removed at a custom shop and go to the dealer for a Ralliart duct and then get another tune from rallinspired Rick.

where did you guys get your Ralliart ducts?

The OEM mitsubishi parts side. Came out to roughly 98$.

Maybe e-mail their website & see if they can offer you a coupon code to save a little more $$$$$ on the Ralliart Intake Tube.

well I have a question, what's the small brass thing that is pictured in the middle.

and that sounds decently priced. but I'll ask my dealership too thanks.

nowe i def cant wait to get this and going to be with takeda sri and getting a str8 pipe ill make a vid hopefully installed this week =))))

Not sure what the brass fitting is for....

Sure glad I have a good nose. While driving around today, I started to smell a little odor from the engine. Got to my destination & couldn't see where the coolant was coming out from. Wasn't much, just a little.

Drove home & got out my high power flashlight & sure enough....a little more coolant was all over.

Found that the upper coolant line to the throttle body is 1/2 off. WHOA!

Hoods propped up & I'm letting it sit for the night to cool off. 1st thing in the morning I'm going to fix that issue! Don't need that coming off! Maybe I didn't have the clamp tight enough or maybe it came loose, don't know.

It's a good thing to check & recheck after installing something to make sure things aren't coming loose or get worse. Still glad I do that all the time!

well I have a question, what's the small brass thing that is pictured in the middle.

and that sounds decently priced. but I'll ask my dealership too thanks.

sup rob that gold peice looks like a vacuum connector just gold but i bypassed mine and i used something that look like thaT but mine was white thats what it might be

sup rob that gold peice looks like a vacuum connector just gold but i bypassed mine and i used something that look like thaT but mine was white thats what it might be

ohh i see, i may connect the coolant hoses with that brass thing however i doubt i would want to bypass it

ohh i see, i may connect the coolant hoses with that brass thing however i doubt i would want to bypass it

ya thats the only thing i could think of for it and i bypassed mine cuz it stays how in florida so ya lol

hmm i like the thought of a tb instal but it seems like if i do it wrong it could turn out badly

love the rims rob very nice good pic keep up the swag

The upper coolant line was starting to slide off. Guess I didn't have it tight enough or something....it was spitting out coolant. Not much, just a little bit.

SO.........

Slid the hose back on all the way. Tightened the clamp & added an additional clamp for double protection.

I will still keep an eye on it, just to make sure there will be no more issues.

did u get new hoses or did u just use the stock ones?

thanks man, once i get my tb il keep and eye on it for sure,

and thanks zenny, glad u like the new rims, still sorry about that ridiculous shipping rate but i mean it was just too much for me to even fathom