fastcar123

Volo Chip Put To The Test. Results: It Really Does Work.

21 posts in this topic

To start out I think it is necessary to mention that I drive a 2011 lancer es with 4-1 headers, t'sudo exhaust, K&N SRI, and NGK Iridium plugs put on a stock 4b11 engine with a CVT transmission. I am highly aware of the scam (especially on eBay) about so called "performance chips" with no background to them at all other than pretty much everybody knowing that they are $.10 resistors in $40 cases. The only reason I even looked twice at this product is because they had their own website.

-If this article is too long and you do not feel like reading it all, scroll to the bottom to find the final results.-

Prior to purchasing I asked the company some questions to see if they were legit

- will the VP12 chip cause any errors or warning lights/messages?

-is it at all possible for this chip or any of this company's products to damage my car?

-how is it possible that removing this chip once installed that the dealership will not be able to detect its existence?

-will this chip shorten the lifespan of my vehicle?

-what is the difference, other than installation and price, between this product and other high end products that require me to cut into wires for installation?

-how does the OBDII port communicate with the volo to make the ECU change its curve?

-Will this product interfere with any other computer systems in my car or any other functions of my main computer? (for example I have a built in MPG meter function on my car. will the chip interfere with its accuracy?)

-what kind of affect does this chis have on safety features in my car? (airbags, ABS, traction control)

-if it were so easy to modify the ECU curve why wouldn't the car companies do that to start with?

-I have a CVT transmission in my car. will it work with this? if so how does it affect its functionality ?

-could this put too much strain on my CVT to the point were it would either overheat it or break the belts?

-what is the maintenance required for this chip?

-what is the worse case scenario if the chip is install incorrectly?

Their responses

1. The Volo Chip is not a sensor signal modifier. Instead, sensors are read normally by the ECU and only the ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values are altered. Sensor signals are not intercepted and therefore sensor array is irrelevant, as long as they are functioning, factory equipped sensors. This process ensures the Volo Chip will never trigger a check engine light.

2. The Volo Chip is an actual microprocessor that communicates with the ECU to safely increase fuel efficiency and power. The Volo Chip reads the ECU and only the ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values are altered Other "performance chips" that connect to the IAT are in fact resistors and will damage your engine.

3. Unlike ECU ROM chip replacements or permanent ECU flashing, the Volo Chip makes no changes to the ROM itself. Disconnecting the Volo would return to factory settings.

4. It will not shorten the Lifespan of your vehicle.

5. The biggest difference is the other product will alter transmission shift points and allow for different tire size speedometer calibration. Gains in performance will be close to the same with our chip and their product.

6. We actually connect using asynchronous serial communications or pulse width, not parallel. Our injection method is the most important part of our product and considered proprietary.

7. The chip will not affect any other electronic systems, displays, safety features, etc. All it changes is your ECU's calculated fuel delivery and timing values. While your MPG meter should remain accurate for the most accurate results we recommend doing a hand written calculation as your MPG meter takes several variables

8. It does not affect any safety features, it only alters fuel delivery and timing values in the temporary memory of the ECU.

9. As for why the ECU isn't already mapped for 'maximum efficiency', one answer is that Manufacturers sell their vehicles across many markets including Asia, Europe, Australia and South Africa. Each of those countries has a different climate and varying fuel quality. These two factors can radically effect the performance of the vehicles. As such, manufacturers tune their ECU so that it runs reliably and safely no matter what the conditions are like. Thus it is possible to improve the cars performance by tuning the ECU to suit the conditions of the country you live in.

10. The Volo Chip does not affect the transmission.

11. No maintenance is required of the chip, if you do maintenance on your car, re-calibrate the chip.

12. If the chip is installed incorrectly worst case you see no gains

If there are any other questions or concerns let us know. Thanks!

Kevin

Sales & Installation

www.VoloPerformance.com

Call us at 1-800-580-5417 Monday - Friday 10 am to 6pm CST.

I decided that I would put my money and my car where my mouth is and tried the Volo VP12. This chip is supposed to create extra power on the lower RPM end of the engine. I paid $95 total for the product. when in came in the mail 3 days later this is what I receive.

th_WP_000433_zps57780b88.jpg

It also came with a set of instructions that I removed from the packaging to reveal the chip. Upon further inspection, I am assured that this is no resistor, no wires with loose ends, no simple connections on the board. They are real chips with real tangible ICs. I even took it apart just to insure that this was no façade.

th_WP_000434_zpsc574f0ed.jpg

Before purchasing the chip I tested my car to see how many seconds it could get from 0-60 MPH using a straight strip of empty road. I ran the test using a stopwatch app on my phone. I did 3 runs, and my numbers cam out to 10, 11.85, 10.50 which averages out to be 10.783 seconds. I used this as a control for my experiment.

The installation was rather easy. I pulled the OBDII out through the interior fuse box access and connected the wires from there according to the volo website, car specific installation guide tool.

bth_OBDII_zpsc74f147b.png?t=1369098616

when I was done I simply pushed it between the underside of the dash and plastic cover where the hood release latch is located

bth_WP_000443_zps87e1ea2f.jpg?t=13690989bth_WP_000445_zps50c40927.jpg?t=13690991

After running a virtual computerized Dyno simulation (not the real thing) on my car before the volo I came up with 170 HP to flywheel. Seeing as how I haven't a better representation of my cars actual power I used this to calibrate my predicted HP and torque increase. This is what I came out with

bth_volocalc_zpsfc15a769.png?t=136909858

Clearly this is a bit high to expect, however some of this was given to my car from this chip.

The calibration instructions that came with the volo said to allow an additional ~120 miles for the chip to be fully calibrated.

My Final Result.

I drove with the Volo installed for 124.8 miles. When I first installed it I noticed no gain whatsoever. Around 30 miles I noticed it started to pick up slightly faster, and in fact my girlfriend said the ride (as in the transition from slow to fast) was much smoother than before. Around 100 miles I really noticed the effects of the chip. My car has better acceleration and the smell of rich burning gasoline has disappeared from my exhaust (which is what probably effected my gas mileage for the better.)

bth_WP_000448_zpsc152e7c9.jpg?t=13691018bth_WP_000447_zpsa63a8500.jpg?t=13691018

(in case you're wondering it did not make my CEL come on. it was only on because I did not have the engine running when this picture was taken)

To say the least this chip absolutely works.

My new runtime numbers are 10.53, 9.87, 10.74 and they average to 10.37.

10.783 - 10.37 = .413 seconds

-Did I gain what the calculator on the website said I would? No, but I did gain about 75% of that

-Would this be a substitute for and ECU flash or a Dyno tune? Absolutely not, but if you're trying to get most from your stock ECU, this is defiantly the way to do so

Overall 4 out of 5 stars

defiantly recommend this to a friend

Waste of money.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

The rep never explained how it wont hurt your engine and shorten its life span. What that chip did was change the air fuel ratio and timing values. Both of which when done incorrectly can cause knock. you should if you get the chance to do a run and test for knock with evoscan. If your knock count is still low then congrats on finding a solid ecu chip for the lancer.

this would be interesting to log this with evoscan and virtual dyno..befores and afters

lol. Should have saved up a little bit more and got a real tune. Lets put it this way...if these things were worth the price more people would use them. Basically this chip adjust your air/fuel and timing with no data logging at all. Dangerous and/or inefficient.

all I really know is that the A/F was too rich before and now its not. when ever I would start the engine the exhaust would have a strong scent of gasoline. it didn't start doing so until I put in my 4-1 header

I'd like to take a moment to thank you, fastcar123, for taking the time and effort to document this. It was calculated and detailed. Although I still stand a bit with the skeptics when it comes to plug-in "chips", it is neat that you did find gains in a very cost-effective modification.

People will spend $200 to tune their ECU's, $300 on an intake/exhaust, $150 on a pulley, etc., and gain typically only 5-10hp/tq per modification, so for the $90 chip, it most certainly sounds reasonable. Any modification done to a car has the potential of shortening the car's lifespan, so I don't think the chip is any different in that sense than other bolt-ons, etc.

One off-topic comment; I believe you mean to say "definitely", where you use the word "defiantly" twice in the bottom of your original post (which has an opposing meaning of what I think was the intended word). :-)

name="fastcar123" post="261309" timestamp="1369190153"]

all I really know is that the A/F was too rich before and now its not. when ever I would start the engine the exhaust would have a strong scent of gasoline. it didn't start doing so until I put in my 4-1 header

going by smell-o-vision? idk if thats a calibrated unit of measure? nonetheless props on sharing the results but for me i would like to have an actual understanding of what this chip is doing to muh ride

This all sounds good, but without a dyno sheet with A/F, it is difficult to endorse it.

I wont buy this thing simply for the fact that it is one letter short of being the acronym i hate the most in this life.

You don't like Volvo? :)

Wow, so fastcar123 decides to make a lengthy thread about something he wanted to try out and instead of keeping the thread informative, everyone decides to immediately lash out at him. We must remember that newbies are advised to search for questions on our website and so we should keep responses to a thread like this educational. Thank him for being the test dummy, ask questions and/or give constructive criticisms. If I was new to the car world, I would have found this thread, and said no but would never know why exactly I decided not to do it. We must teach people. Sure, there are other threads and forums that explains why but it doesn't mean we should step away from what makes this particular website different from the rest. I am here because of the people and their experiences. Not to be aggressively criticized when it can easily be explained.

I would also take a moment to thank fiveandahalf, Pathogen and Masonite for explaining their concerns.

edit: fixed smartphone typing.

sounds like it does something but not exactly sure what it did without doing any kind of logging.

hard work and a money is commendable, the next step is to find out if you're doing harm or good to your car by running some logs and by installing a wide band.

This all sounds good, but without a dyno sheet with A/F, it is difficult to endorse it.

I agree. We need to see how it really is affecting the car.

Let's resurrect this topic.

I have confirmed at this point, using Evoscan, that the Volo has no negative effects. no knocking, slightly more lean A/F, and if I'm not mistaken it has advanced the ignition timing. I'm not entirely sure about the timing thing, but I know for a fact that it is not knocking.

Let's resurrect this topic.

I have confirmed at this point, using Evoscan, that the Volo has no negative effects. no knocking, slightly more lean A/F, and if I'm not mistaken it has advanced the ignition timing. I'm not entirely sure about the timing thing, but I know for a fact that it is not knocking.

have you done redline pulls to verify there's absolutely no knocking through out?

I have not redline pulled it yet. I count really figure out evoscan because the dyno thing isn't working. I was using the live feed gauges and they didn't tell me anything was wrong. I really didnt want to be going that fast in D but I have the sport shifter now so ill give it another shot sometime. I did however pull it to 5K

I have a VOLO VP-12 chip installed in my 1997 Toyota Tercel CE. I can say that after driving this car for over 4 years with it installed that it does work as advertised. I must run premium gas to prevent the knock sensor from retarding the timing. There is a very noticeable "pull" that starts at about 3600 RPM and continues to 5000 RPM red line. This is on a 1.5l 4cylinder. It has a good header and a 1.5 inch exhaust thru a free flowing muffler. Also installed a cold air duct and K&N A/F. I installed a kill switch for when I want to run in "normal mode". Believe me there is an enormous difference in performance. When I return to "on" it takes a few miles to recalibrate. Also, I still get around 28 - 30 mpg around town. Ordered one for my Sonata today. Can hardly wait to feel that turbo 2l let loose. (runs great now).

In my opinion the scepticism for such chips come from all that garbage chips floating on ebay and as said previously, filled with useless resistors. Chips that change ignition timing as discussed in this post were and still are very popular in Europe. Since majority of cars here come from Germany and there is strict laws about certification of products that are used on cars, problem with cheap "wonder" chips were never a big thing. Even a Toyota dealer in my country offers such chips for sale. They are usually more expensive than 100$ chip mentioned, but to this day they became more advanced, featuring multiple pre set maps and sell with additional throttle controllers. Here are some more known suppliers of those chips: http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/Default.aspx , http://www.racechip.de/ The latter even has its own app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/racechip/id940731928?mt=8 .

All of them does basically the same thing, timing advancement. If you compare the VOLO chip to RRMs advanced timing module which costs 370$, VOLO may seem a better value for buck deal. However, RRM chip are made from better quality materials and if I am not mistaken, updated to get better performance than earlier model. Which is understandable since they know they way around Mitsubishi engines. Same goes for German tuners and German made cars. Those who sell chips for a lot of vehicles usually do not spend a lot of their time and money by squeezing full potential out of vehicle, but rather go the safe way. That being said, paying more than 300$ for a timing advancement module does not make sense, since getting proper ECU tuning would yield much better performance and leaves you with possibility to return to your tuner and modify it in case you decided to go for more extreme mods like cylinder head porting, camshafts etc. All those add on modules, no mater their initial cost would become a doorstops at that point.

Keep in mind that the Volo VP12 is a microprocessor controlled MAP Table enhancement that is used instead of the factory MAP table.  It's values are more aggressive for more performance. Factory tuning is at best a compromise for the average driver's needs and to meet Federal gas mileage requirements.  It is an alternate Active MAP table only when hooked up to the automobile. Also, it is tuned for 93 octane gasoline use.

We have debunked many of these scam chips with teardowns and analysis:

www.perfomancechipreviews.com