T-Flash

On The Road To A Badass (I Hope!) Cvt Lancer!

606 posts in this topic

I need help on that one...lets do a survey...

SHOULD I KEEP THE CAR?

SHOULD I LEAVE IT NA?

SHOULD I BOOST IT AGAIN?

lol

Boost it. I'm curious about the turbo cvt as I have the same car, just a 2012
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your refering to the cvt under turbo, when I was boosted, I never had issues. I did upgrade the oil to eneos cvt oil and added an good oil cooler with fan.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I was going through your topic because I wanted to see the zoomed in picture of your cylinder 2 piston. From the pics in the topic I don't think there is really anything wrong with the piston but I was wondering how did the sides look like.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, trancedrift said:

Hey, I was going through your topic because I wanted to see the zoomed in picture of your cylinder 2 piston. From the pics in the topic I don't think there is really anything wrong with the piston but I was wondering how did the sides look like.

Actually, it was shattered between the ring, and I had a hair line fracture in the cylinder wall... It got worse... I'll get you Picts next weekend, I am not home for the week. Changed the engine myself a few months back... The importance of having it properly and completely tune before you race...lol. I have learned of my mistake..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, T-Flash said:

Actually, it was shattered between the ring, and I had a hair line fracture in the cylinder wall... It got worse... I'll get you Picts next weekend, I am not home for the week. Changed the engine myself a few months back... The importance of having it properly and completely tune before you race...lol. I have learned of my mistake..

Wait, do you mean fracture or a scratch, there is a big difference. 

These are scratches, still small onces but they will eventually destroy the piston. And they appear after knock, the piston side gets smashed against the cylinder wall while moving up. I didn't change the piston as the cylinder had to be honed otherwise it was pointless. And I decided it is better to leave this for next year and a complete engine overhaul. I will see now what kind of power the engine makes above 7000 rpm. With S/B ratio of less than 1 it should be very rev happy. So if it is good I will just change to forged Wiseco pistons on stock rods, hone the cylinders and keep it 1.8 and high revving.

20160228_135824_zpsorv6mwid.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, trancedrift said:

Wait, do you mean fracture or a scratch, there is a big difference. 

These are scratches, still small onces but they will eventually destroy the piston. And they appear after knock, the piston side gets smashed against the cylinder wall while moving up. I didn't change the piston as the cylinder had to be honed otherwise it was pointless. And I decided it is better to leave this for next year and a complete engine overhaul. I will see now what kind of power the engine makes above 7000 rpm. With S/B ratio of less than 1 it should be very rev happy. So if it is good I will just change to forged Wiseco pistons on stock rods, hone the cylinders and keep it 1.8 and high revving.

20160228_135824_zpsorv6mwid.jpg

No,, believe me...cracked... Fractured...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, that is heavy. I would not have believed that the clyinder would crack before the connecting rod brakes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, trancedrift said:

Jeez, that is heavy. I would not have believed that the clyinder would crack before the connecting rod brakes.

World is full of wonders...lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have been cheaper to have replaced rods and beneficial too, would have changed them with better ones....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Roof repainted

IMG_20160307_114115_zpsv5c3hr1i.jpg?w=48

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same location, better pic..

 

IMG_20160325_193929_zpsu6fc9jtz.jpg?w=48

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/02/2016 at 5:43 AM, trancedrift said:

Jeez, that is heavy. I would not have believed that the clyinder would crack before the connecting rod brakes.

IMG_20160319_152225718_zpsubhbsney.jpg?w

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol, the cylinder is indeed cracked, must have been a massive knock on still cold engine 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really, downshifted and floored it to avoid being put into the wall on the highway by a cargo truck.... Must of gotten a boost spike...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, trancedrift said:

lol, the cylinder is indeed cracked, must have been a massive knock on still cold engine 

And guess which cylinder it is......

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is that a single not repeaded boost spike without knock should not cause any damage, maybe blow a seal somewhere on the intake but not really in a cylinder. And even if we assume that it is possible to make something in the cylinder it will be flexing the whole thing and blowing the headgasket. Boost spike will be say twice as much fuel and air compared to normal, and it will make a serious bang when ignited, but if ignited at the right time it will just push the piston downward, if ignited prematurely it will smash the upward moving piston into the cylinderwall... and probably cause something like that crack.

I hit 25 psi accidently just after installing the 3port boost controler - I messed up the vacum hoses and run for several minutes without wastegate. But it did't knock and nothing really happaned.. except that the car accelerated like rocket  But it was a serious "oops" moment, good that I have boost gauge with warning and I was looking it at it as I just had the boost controler on.

25psi_image_zpsjrrlgxt6.png

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, when you put the new pistons and rings earlier, did you cross hone the cylinder walls before putting them in? But even then. it would damage and overheat the rings, not the cylinder... quite weird.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I really enjoyed reading this and seeing what you went through work wise I plan on putting a turbo in my 2010 lancer gts. Is it cool to hit u up for pointers and all the good stuff ? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2016 at 11:04 AM, ALVARADO.GTS said:

Hey I really enjoyed reading this and seeing what you went through work wise I plan on putting a turbo in my 2010 lancer gts. Is it cool to hit u up for pointers and all the good stuff ? 

Sure anytime...

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Guys... Been out of touch for a while, moved because of the military...

 

This is the end of the road for my lancer, its been a bumpy ride, mostly good times though. I don't know if I actually achieve a badass CVT lancer like my title says, but it I did try...

I have learned so much fooling around with it, and you guys here gave me advise, trick and a moral boost when I needed it. Both the Lancer a nd KIA are now gone..

 

THANKS PL!

 

Here is my last picture of the lancer... I think it a cool picture... (BTW, I did secure the passenger and scene, before taking it... we where waiting for the firefighters


 

 

thumbnail_IMG_20160503_162615185_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160503_162557935_HDR.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gone in a blast :) Good luck with your following projects!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was great to have you in the community. Good luck moving forward man!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks..

 

Will still show up once in a while...

 

Here is my new project....

Was looking for a Ralliart or evo x, but unfortunately, I needed a automatic car since I can only afford one car at the moment and the wife drive only automatic.

 

Next car WILL be an evo... in a few years...

 

 

thumbnail_IMG_20160909_131555258.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey man, your build is definitely an inspiration to others. Don't forget to stop by sometime and show us the new build.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now