Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blizzard25

Illegal Exhaust

6 posts in this topic

So I got pulled over last night at about 3 AM and had to take a field sobriety test. After I passed, I received a warning for an illegal exhaust (apparently in Colorado the decibel level of the aftermarket muffler can't exceed the stock muffler). My question is, has this ever happened to anyone else? Am I likely to be pulled over for it as a primary charge or was I just issued a warning because I was already pulled over? I really don't want to have to put back on my stock muffler.

Yeah, more then likely he was just looking for a reason to pull you over to check for sobriety. 12-6 am is when police look for drunk drivers its just part of their job.

In the state of NY, it's a law that a modified muffler is illegal and also illegal if your car is audibly louder than other cars around you. I drive PA cars so I keep telling them it's legal where I come from lol. Since I have switched my daily galant to a low profile dual tip muffler and it's actually louder than my megan can was but I don't get bothered anymore.

It's called profiling, that's all they pull you over for anymore when you are doing everything else right.

Yup I was given a loud exhaust ticket at the end of last year. I have the greddy ti-c axleback. I was not driving hard at all. The cops just followed me for a few blocks and then pulled me over for no reason. It took them over 20 mins to figure out a way to ticket me. I've had this exhaust on the car since 2008 and have never gotten an exhaust ticket before in NYC.

It also depends on the time of month. During the first week and last week of the months, they're pretty much do whatever they can to meet their quotas.

WA uses CA emissions laws for 2009+ vehicles, other states do too. There is a section stating that no exhaust modifications can be made that causes a louder than stock condition. Technically this is impossible, as 2 OEM mufflers will sound different on the same car. So there has to be an acceptable "stock" range. Then there's a federal law stating 92db @ a given distance.

If the cat back is carb certified, it's supposed to be allowable on the car. If it is not carb certified, you can have it tested.

Afaik state law is not permitted to supersede federal law.