T-Flash

Diy Cvt External Oil Cooler (De, Es)

41 posts in this topic

Well here is the CVT transmission cooler install:

-Mishimoto oil cooler with fan (or other brand)

-GTS transmission oil cooler/warmer

-oil hose AN6...

-misc. fittings and bolts...

-ENEOS CVT oil!!!!!!

Remove airbox, batterie, tray (which is a real pain in the but, there are 12 mm bolt under the tray and they are HARD to reach!!!) and this is what you see:

DSCF2102_zps09b5351c.jpg

REMOVE OIL!!!!!!!!

ES oil cooler/warmer removed and replaced by GTS one. Notice the difference...GTS has 2 external adapter for oil cooler....ES and DE don't!

When you unplug the coolant lines, BEWARE!!! It will leak coolant from the tube to the radiator!!!! And its a BIG leak so be prepared!! I had to plug the hose with my thumb and finish the GTS oil cooleréwarmer install with one hand!!!!!!! THAT WAS ALSO A PAIN!!!! (I was alone..)

DSCF2104_zpsea7c00e5.jpg

Mishimoto oil cooler install. Depending on how you install the cooler, the fan will be facing in or out. Mine is facing the back cause I opted for a "puller" type fan. If you want the fan to push the air, make it face the front of the vehicule. When you plug the fan, the PULLER type will have the BLUE wire on the POSITIVE of the battterie, for the PUSHER fan the BLACK will be on POSITIVE instead

4ac2c17b-c2b2-4adb-b876-56b4552d61c5_zps

Install hoses...

88e554a4-4923-4f04-b4e1-c67838d8f3a0_zps

Put in the oil...good to go...NO MORE WHINE in the tranny and NO MORE SLIP

This is the oil I used for my CVT transmission...Hopefully will be better than the CVT-j1 and j4...

IMG_0041_zpsec7f6369.jpg

AWSOME!!!!

So here it is!!!!! Enjoy!

good write up! thanks!

hows that fluid working out for you?

How much oil did you use? Where did you wire the fan?

hows that fluid working out for you?

So far, no slip, no noise and crisper shifting...Can't complain....

How much oil did you use? Where did you wire the fan?

If fi remember correctly, 7 to 7 1/2 quarts..but that depends on the cooler you get...might hold more or less. I bought 10 quarts just in case of leaks, futeure checks, ect.. By the book, it should hold almost 6 quarts without the cooler. I also had a small leak at first, so I lost a bit... Remember, the dipstick has to be checked at cold as a guideline, BUT THE REAL MARKER, is when the tranny is a normal operating temperature...So you have to be running the tranny, drive slowly around the block, check your oil level, fill, drive around again until the HOT marker is reached. If you overfill, DRAIN a bit of oil cause it will foam up when you drive and create some slipage.

The fan is plug to the batterie, with a swith inside my car for on and off...

So far, no slip, no noise and crisper shifting...Can't complain....

is that because of the oil or because its cooler now?

is that because of the oil or because its cooler now?

I think its because of the oil since the temperatures was never really high because I had no other performance mod when I installed it. The cooler is there for when I will boost it. But I cant really say for sure.

Interesting. Would you think that for an NA setup with mild mods and occasional aggressive driving, that I could eliminate the cvt from whining and possibly over heating just by putting in this fluid?

Interesting. Would you think that for an NA setup with mild mods and occasional aggressive driving, that I could eliminate the cvt from whining and possibly over heating just by putting in this fluid?

Possibly...yes, for sure, I dont know. I just dont want the responsibility, tuning is not an exact science.. I tried it with the cooler, and I saw major improvement. Without...well better oil should improve responsiveness and all...

Note: I have run with this setup and oil for about 2 1/2 month without a problem with daily driving and occasionnal aggressive driving...that all I can say...

That's fair. I guess Ill check back with you in a few months or so when I can acutally afford to get my transmission serviced

Found out you can do this without the GTS cooler. Basically you leave the inlet hose connected to the DE/ES cooler. Your outlet hose for the DE/ES cooler will run to the inlet of the inline tranny cooler. And then it should be obvious from there.

I dont see it....

Found out you can do this without the GTS cooler. Basically you leave the inlet hose connected to the DE/ES cooler. Your outlet hose for the DE/ES cooler will run to the inlet of the inline tranny cooler. And then it should be obvious from there.

On the de/es cooler warmer the outlets are for coolant... The 2 extra ones on the GTS cooler are for oil... how will you circulate the oil from the tranny into your cooler without inlet and oulet? That way wouldnt you be cooling the coolant...again?

On the de/es cooler warmer the outlets are for coolant... The 2 extra ones on the GTS cooler are for oil... how will you circulate the oil from the tranny into your cooler without inlet and oulet?

Hmmmm. I guess i misread the design of the cooler. I had a diagram pulled up that looked like it would work that way. My bad, let's pretend I never said that then.... :thumbdown:

Hmmmm. I guess i misread the design of the cooler. I had a diagram pulled up that looked like it would work that way. My bad, let's pretend I never said that then.... :thumbdown:

Send me that diagram.. I'll look into it, but I was sure the 2 extra outlet were for oil... I guess I cold unplug one end and find out....tomorrow though

I want to see that diagram as well if you two dont mind

Gah, back to google then....

Dumb question but why do you need this?

To cool the oil down. As soon as you try to get high HP (not really talking about SRI,CAI and exhaust...more like turbo...) our tranny (CVT) fail because of heat and torque one way to help is to keep the oil cool so that it is still effective.

Oh I got it, once I get back from deployment I'm going turbo

I guess I forgot to mention this...

GTS cooler/warmer...mitsu part number: 2920A141 . (or google the part number and you will see other distributers)

Filter is: 2824a006, and got it from dealer...

So the two ports on the ES cooler aren't for transmission oil? Better hope they have the UK model the GTS cooler setup, was banking on running it inline because I thought those hoses were carrying oil - GTS oil cooler is a fair outlay.

If you only have 2 ports, they are for coolant. If you follow the tubing, you will notice that it goes to the radiator...

Oh cock. Time to have a root around in the engine bay then.