JukEboX

Jukebox's New In Blue (Blue Dragon)

282 posts in this topic

Ok I just finished a new project on the car and I figured it was time to start a Journal.

Here is the story on how I ended up with the car. I originally had a 2003 OZ Rally. In November when I was driving home from work at 10PM on the highway the timing belt let go and bent the pistons in the engine. My mechanic wanted $2k for a "refurbished' engine. It was hard but I had to give up the car. After 165,000 miles the car had been good to me. I was pretty upset to let it go. I loved that car. Though it was an automatic I was able to feel right before it shifted so manipulated the gas pedal to get better push out of each rev.

The week before Thankgiving I found a 2009 GTS in New Jersey at a wholesaler. After driving the 3 hours I took the car for a ride and I fell in love. This would be the biggest car I have ever had. It has a lot of power, was lowered, and color was awesome. The power!! THE POWWWAA!!! I paid for it that day. The day after Thanksgiving I drove the 3 hours back to New Jersey and picked it up. Was awesome to have a long drive to get used to the power and have some fun with it.

Here is picture of the car when I got it home:

First Picture

Here are things I want to do to the car:

• New Sound System
  • Clean up Rims
  • Replace all bulbs with LEDs
  • Replace headlight lenses
  • Replace tail light lenses
  • New air intake
  • Rear Window & Rear Passenger Windows Tinted

Here is what I found on the car for mods:

• Eibach Pro Kit Springs
  • Plastidipped Badge
  • Plastidipped Rims
  • Plastidipped Grill Rim Covers
  • Car Debadged

Well I have done some work on the car and I will be sharing it with you what I have done with as many pictures as I can. Hope your ready!

THE POWWWAA!!!

Hahaha. OMG! You bought the car because you felt the POWAA!! :thumbsup:

2.0 or 2.4?

Hahaha. OMG! You bought the car because you felt the POWAA!! :thumbsup:

2.0 or 2.4?

2.4 Liter!

Oh hey man, I spoke to you on Evolutionm lol

Oh hey man, I spoke to you on Evolutionm lol

Oh snap really? Same name?

Not "Rex_L", its Rex1245

Not "Rex_L", its Rex1245

Oh ok cool. You will see some repeat write up but I have more to add.

Oh ok

Not sure I will be going back to EVOM. Doesn't seem as homey

UPDATE TIME: I am going to fill you in with a new update each day till I catch up now.

So for the first update I ordered some new LEDs out of Amazon to replace on the incandescent bulbs. I learned in my 03 that those damn bulbs kept braking because lets face it I ran a lot of power through my car. I also ordered some 5 OHM resistors because I learned that without them you could have the issue with hyper threading.

NOTE: My camera is on my phone which is an HTC 8X so if your looking for photography level material here it might be a while. I love my phone.

Here is the install.

Turn, Brake, Sidemarker

Final Install looked great at night.

Turn Signals Installed

Here in the parking lights I put in blue. I know I wasn't allowed to have them in and I was like "so I will get a ticket, lets see how long it lasts" but because I am wuss about a week later I took them out. In fact I think what did it was I was driving down the highway with my wife and I found that there must have been some street racing off the highway and the cops so me while I was on the highway. They booked past us with lights off I guess to see if we were part of it to check us out. Not to mention various other times I went past State cops. I also put these in the license plate. After a week I took them out. I still debate putting them back in the rear license plate to see how long I can go before I scare myself to put them back in or I get a ticket.

Parking Lights Installed

Headlights & Turn Signals

NOTE: When using LEDs you must put resistors on all of the turn signals to prevent hyperflashing (except side markers; more on that below). You must also put them on your brake light bulbs as they will cause the car to throw a check engine light and error code thinking your brake light switch is broken and give P0703 error. There are 3 wires for that bulb. Be sure to check to see which color your normal turn signal wires are and connect one end of the resistor to the extra wire and the other end to the ground wire. That will complete your brake light circuit. Do this on both sides.

Front Resistors Install

Rear Resistors Install

Yes LEDs are in the rear turn signals, side markers, and reverse lights.

Brake & Parking Lights

I also added smoked side marker LEDs to my sides to get rid of the Plastidipped black ones the previous owner had. Sorry I don't have a picture for those.

I also had an old 8x2 LED Blue bar in my old car I replaced the main cabin light with. I bought 2 more blues to put in the map lights in the front to match.

Amber Parking & Dome

Inside Dome Light View

Parts Used:

(All Flashing Bulbs) - 6x - Jtech 50Watt 6Ohm Load Resistors

(Reverse Lights) - 2x - JDM Astar Xenon White Samsung Chip 2835 SMD LED Bulbs (7440, 7441, 7443, 7444, 992)

(Front Parking Lights) - 2x - JDM Astar Amber Yellow 4x5-SMD LED Bulbs (168, 194, 2825, T10)

(All Turn Signals) - 4x - JDM Astar Amber Yellow Samsung Chip 2835 SMD LED Bulbs (7440, 7441, 7443, 7444, 992)

(Brakes & Reak Parking Lights) - 4x - JDM Astar Red Samsung Chip 2835 SMD LED Bulbs (7440, 7441, 7443, 7444, 992)

(Rear Side Markers) - 2x - JDM Astar Red 4x5-SMD LED Bulbs (168, 194, 2825, T10)

(License Plate) - 2x - JDM Astar Xenon White 20-SMD LED Bulbs (168, 194, 2825, T10)

(Map Lights) - 2x - JDM Astar Blue 6-SMD LED Bubs (DE3175, DE3021, DE3022, 3175)

(Special Occasions) - 4x - AGT Blue 5-SMD High Power LED Bulbs (194, 168)

(Side Markers) - 2x - JDM DEPO 08-12 Mistubishi Lancer Evo 10X Smoked LED Fender Side Marker Lights

Time Taken:

45 Minutes

Stay tuned for more!

Nice set up, im having a similar problem where my LED bulbs are effecting my cruise control, and I don't have a resistor

Nice set up, im having a similar problem where my LED bulbs are effecting my cruise control, and I don't have a resistor

Get the resistors. Use the link in my last update. It is entirely worth it. It can affect your cruise control as well.

If I move the LEDs to my reverse lights. do you think it will cause a similar problem?

If I move the LEDs to my reverse lights. do you think it will cause a similar problem?

No you won't get that problem because they are completing a circuit and they are not blinking.

Well right now the LED bulbs are in my brake lights

Well right now the LED bulbs are in my brake lights

They will need resistors too. The link to the ones I used comes in set of 6 so you get enough for exactly what you need.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into them. I'm thinking on doing my license plate lights and maybe the city (parking) lights as well. Not sure though.

How bright are those tail lights? I have my tail lights tinted and need to know if they will shine through. I would think they would since I have nome cheap ones in the tails. I just need to know if they can be seen in the daytime

How bright are those tail lights? I have my tail lights tinted and need to know if they will shine through. I would think they would since I have nome cheap ones in the tails. I just need to know if they can be seen in the daytime

Rear bulbs are 800 lumen. They are ok for a economic bulb but i am going to upgrade to super brights in the future. They are more expensive but I can get well over 1000 lumen. They work well at night although hard for me to judge because I never see my own back end.

Did I mention I like lights?

I will be getting new ones from SuperBrightLEDs.com. When I do i will bid my others out if you guys want them. I will cut the price too since I used them.

Awesome

UPDATE TIME: Rim Painting Project

Ok next step was to get rid of the awful matte black that was covering the rims. I started with a 350 grit sandpaper and did the first rim by hand. It took just about 2 days. My hands were sore as crap. Here is how it came out.

One Sanded

Now since this is my daily driver I was driving around with 1 sanded wheel and 3 matte black wheel. Seeing as the weather was bad and I couldn't work on the others it was a week till I was able to work on it again. Someone at my work put this on my wind shield.

Rims Note

Needless to say they liked the black. And they would return to black. After my wife reminded me I had a dremel tool it took about 2 days to get the other 3 finished. All sanded and clean.

All Sanded

So from here I taped off the wheels and started spraying the paint. 1 Coat of Etching Primer. 3 Coats of Black Enamel. 3 Coats of Clear Coat. Now while I was doing this I was working with some designs for the center caps. More hand sanding and lots of coats. I wanted this to come out right. Here are a few of the tests.

Purple/Blue Color Shift on Silver

Light Shift on Silver

Silver on Purple/Blue Color Shift

Silver On Shift Test

All Purple/Blue Colorshift

All Shift Test

While that dryed I got my first wheel finished and put it on the car.

One Finished

First Finish (Glamour)

With this first wheel done I was able to test out my center cap designs.

Purple/Blue Color Shift on Silver

Silver & Shift Test

Silver & Shift Test (Glamour)

All Purple/Blue Colorshift

All Shift Test

All Shift Test (Glamour)

Silver on Purple/Blue Color Shift

Shift On Silver Test

Shift On Silver Test (Glamour)

This was going to take some deciding. While thinking it over I finished the last 3 wheels and got them back on. Though they were not as smooth as the hand sanded ones they all looked great.

Full Rear View Of Finished Rim

Full Side View

Full Front View

At this point I was super proud of myself. This was the first time I ever did a project like this and it was coming out pretty good.

<-- Insert Jump up in the air and stay there pose -->

LANCER LEVEL UP!!!

Anyway.....

After sleeping it over, thinking really hard about what it will look like, and actually reading the can I decided to take one last go at the center cap. This time I did 5 coats of Purple/Blue Colorshift and 3 coats of silver. Here is what turned out.

Final Design (Silver On Heavy Shift)

Needless to say this gave me the desired affect I was looking for. I popped it on the hand sanded wheel to see how it looked.

Final Design (Glamour)

When all was said and done it was the perfect shade of blue on one side and an off set shade of purple on the other to accent the look. Pure style. I popped the other back onto the car and that was the end of this project.

Final Product

Final Product (Glamour)

Tools Used:

Dremel Tool

60 Grit Sandpaper

100 Grit Sandpaper

350 Grit Sandpaper

1x Can - Rustoleum Plastic Primer

2x Cans - Rustoleum Etching Primer

1x Can - Diplocolor Metalica Silver Paint

1x Can - Rustoleum ColorShift Blue/Purple Paint

4x Cans - Rustoleum High Gloss Black Enamel

4x Cans - Rustoleum High Performance Wheel Clear Coat

Time Taken:

2 Weeks, 3 days

P.S. - For anyone interested in learning how I did the center caps please stay tuned as I will be doing a write up on how to spray and handle your center caps so you can customize yours like mine. Stay tuned.

Car looks great dude! Thanks for all the info!

All blue errythang!!!! ;)

1hag.jpg

I have blue LED parking lights, blue LED interior, and blue LED license plate lights. If you're worried about tickets, I'd say go white with the parking lights and license plate lights. Lol. I've had my blue parking lights in since August 2012. I haven't gotten pulled over for them at all. My boyfriend got a ticket for them when he was driving my car one night. He had gone through a red light. So instead of that hassle, the cop only gave him a ticket for my blue parking lights. Which was $54. Court apparently was required for it, but they waived the court fees.

The license plate lights though... I've had them in since September 2013. I've been pulled over at least 4 times. No tickets though. I've been lucky. Lol.

Car looks great dude! Thanks for all the info!

All blue errythang!!!! ;)

1hag.jpg

I have blue LED parking lights, blue LED interior, and blue LED license plate lights. If you're worried about tickets, I'd say go white with the parking lights and license plate lights. Lol. I've had my blue parking lights in since August 2012. I haven't gotten pulled over for them at all. My boyfriend got a ticket for them when he was driving my car one night. He had gone through a red light. So instead of that hassle, the cop only gave him a ticket for my blue parking lights. Which was $54. Court apparently was required for it, but they waived the court fees.

The license plate lights though... I've had them in since September 2013. I've been pulled over at least 4 times. No tickets though. I've been lucky. Lol.

Well there are 2 fundamental differences here I think. 1 your a chick. And 2 Your in New Jersey. From what I can tell CT cops are a bit more strict on this kind of stuff because you rarely see people driving around with any other color. I might put them back in and see how long it lasts. What would be cool if I could get some bulbs with both blue and white on them so I can cover both bases. :)

UPDATE: Clean Up

Just a quick update for right now. Removed the horrible matte plastidip from the badge and the grill liners. To date I can still not find anyone with the the same chrome LOWER grill liner. If you have one let me know. I want to know how to get it off. I am thinking of painting them. I am kind of stuck because I really like the chrome. LOL

Clean Up Badge

Clean Up Badge

Clean Up Grills

I want to find the lower trim too. I want to use it to make a new grille