Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JukEboX

How To: Customize & Paint Wheel Center Caps

5 posts in this topic

Greetings guys,

I am putting this little how to together for those of you who what to add a little spice to your center caps on your OEM wheels.

Little background. I bought my GTS last November and I don't really have much chedder to waste on rims and the person before me plastidipped the rims with a terrible matte black including the center caps and it just made the car look old and gross. After doing the wheels I wanted to make them pop a little more. Mine took about 2 weeks because I could not decide what I wanted and what could match the car.

Here is a little how-to to help you make your rims get a little attention through center cap design.

Tools You Will Need:

100 to 350 Grit Sandpaper

1x Can Of Plastic Paint Primer

2x Cans Of Enamel (Any Colors You Want)

1x Can Of High Performance Clear Coat

Exacto Knife

Painters Tape

Lets get started.

STEP 1: Sand down the center cap.

Sand down the cap to give the paint a little to hang on to. Be careful not to sand down to hard or you could sand the Mitsubishi Logo right off of the cap and cause holes.

STEP 2: Spray 1 coat of plastic paint primer on the cap.

Primer Cap

This will be used to make the cap look smooth and clean and will hold the paint better.

STEP 3: Tape off the Mitusbishi Logo to paint the main part of the cap.

Taped Cap

You can use the blue paint tape and the exacto knife to make sure it fits around the entire logo and the inner slopes. So all you should have left is the flat part of the cap.

STEP 4: Paint the cap.

Full Black Cap

Now paint the cap. Give it about 2 or 3 coats so you can give it a good finish. Let it dry for about 2-3 hours.
STEP 5: Cut the tape carefully.

Cut The Tape.

Now you will need to cut the edges of the tape at the inner edges of the Mitsubishi Logo where it logo meets the flat section. This will prevent the paint from ripped off when you take the paint off.
STEP 6: Tape off part of cap you just painted.
Tape off the part your just painted. To get into the triangle areas inside the logo take a piece of tape and tape over half of one of the logo diamonds. You can cut it with exacto knife to make a triangle and pull it off and put it in the triangle section for the inner parts of the logo.
STEP 7: Paint the logo.
Use a different paint color to paint the Mitsubishi logo. Again let it dry about 2-3 hours to make sure it will hold.
STEP 8: Cut off the tape carefully.
Again use the exacto knife to cut the tape at the inner edge of the Mitsubishi Logo to make sure the paint does not rip. Be careful pulling off the tape of the flat area as it can rip off the paint if it is not dried correctly.
STEP 9: Spray the cap with clear coat.

Final Design (Silver On Heavy Shift)

I suggest checking out the Rustoleum High Performance Wheel Clear Coat which is in the Tools Needed Section above. It is made to prevent knicks, cuts, scratches, and make a clear and protected coverage on your wheel and caps. Do about 3 coats and let dry about 3 hours.
STEP 10: Place the cap on the wheel.

Final Design (Glamour)

Your done. Put your cap on your wheel!
This is a great way for you to make your caps look more personalized and customized for your car. As you can see I did a number of different ideas before I came into one I wanted.

Light Shift on Silver

Silver On Shift Test

All Shift Test

In the end find something you want and will look good and stick with it. I re-sanded about 6 times to make it look perfect and be careful and gentle when your removing tape. Give it a little time and thought and think of what you can do for your OEM wheels.

Final Design (Silver On Heavy Shift)

My Final Caps.

PM ME or post here if you have any questions.

nice write up brotha :thumbsup:

That's so kool. I didn't realize you could paint like that with those materials

That's so kool. I didn't realize you could paint like that with those materials

I like to find ways to make things work :)

Nice! Gonna do mine this weekend!! :laughing: