Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JukEboX

How To: Install A Manual Or Universal Shifter Knob On Your Cvt

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

So I have had some people say they didn't know how to change the shifter knob on their CVT. Well I did it so I figured why not show you how I did it.

Tools You Will Need:

What You Will Need

• A new shifter Knob. (I used this one from Pilot Motorsports - BAM)
  • Roll of electrical tape
  • Drill bit. (Honestly I don't remember the size of my shifter pipe but your maybe a different size so you want a bit that is about the same size.)

STEP 1: Remove the old shifter.

Ok let's remember to take the old shifter off. I am not sure which one you have and I had an aftermarket one so I removed mine. Sorry I don't have a tutorial on how to take your OEM one off because of that. Now that the old knob is off all you should have left is the shifter pipe. Should look something like this.

Mounting Pole

STEP 2: Spacer building.

In most aftermarket shifter packages they will give you up to 5 spacers. Because they are not sure which size pipe you have they will give you spacers with varying sizes. Choose the one that fits your pipe best and put that one on top with the opening for the shifter pipe facing down. From here you will stack up to 2 more. Take another spacer and put it right under the first one. Considering as this will be being used for the rounded top it is not required that it fit the best.Again have the pipe opening facing down. Finally take one last spacer and turn it upside down so the pipe opening for the second spacer and the third spacer are facing each other. From here tape them together with some electrical tape to make a stacked tire look.

Tape It On

STEP 3: Drill your hole.
Now that they are all taped together take the drill and drill a whole through the bottom of the tired where the rounded part for the third spacer is facing. Push the drill through the third and second spacer. DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE TOP SPACER'S ROUNDED TOP.

Drill The Hole

STEP 4: Mount the tires.
Now take the tires and push the spacers down the pipe. As you push down you should feel the spacers thunk through the third's rounded head and the seconds rounded head. It should stop at the top spacer and this will prevent the spacer from sliding down the pipe while the pressure of the other spacers rounded heads will hold onto the pipe strongly.

Mount Tires

STEP 5: Mount the knob.

Now that the spacer is on you can put your knob bottom down the pipe and the knob on the top . Remember to tighten small hex screws that go in the holes of the shifter knob. Put them in as tight as you can. They may not become completely tight as they are not long enough to go all the way to the pipe and the spacer will be helping with some pressure. These screws will make sure the knob stays holding onto the spacers and provide a little pressure to the pipe.

Place Knob

STEP 6: Screw on the bottom.
This is pretty self explanitory. Bring the bottom of the knob up to the knob and screw it on. IF your spacers are to long for the bottom of the knob then you might want to take out the second spacer and push the third spacer up making a tower of just 2 spacers. This can vary depending on the knob.

New Know

And that is it! You know have a pretty sick new shifter for your CVT.

Hope this was helpful. Any questions or suggestions leave them here or PM Me.

That looks nice. Would this be possible with a shift knob that has threads instead of spacers?

The pipe on the CVT is a squart at the top 3 inches so the threading wouldn't really work.

No I mean if the knob you buy has threads

If the knob you buy has threads there is no place to screw it onto unless you have a manual shifter. The shifter pipe I believe is MUCH thinner than most manual shifter pipes. That is why they supply the spacers.

if that's the case than I should be able to get a manual knob and shove in some spacers to make it fit. I was thinking I would have to grind out the threads and then it wouldn't be worth it to me

I wouldn't grind the threads onto the pipe. Could cause a problem in the end and its pretty tough steel.

I meant grind the threads out of the shift knob

Oh I get what you need. Well still leave the threads in there and just put in the spacers. The snugger the best. In fact this write up I re-did that day to make sure it would stay on more snug. This is by far my best idea. It will take some time for the heat in the car to snug things up but its totally worth it.