T-Flash

Cvt Turbo... Diy!

70 posts in this topic

DISCLAIMER! This setup as worked on my 2010 lancer SE CVT. There is no guaranty that it will work on other years. Some later years have more security in the ECU preventing tuning. Also, improperly done, I can do serious damage to the engine and transmission. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I took the risk though and love it!!!!!! lol

So here we go.... My CVT turbo install and how to....

First off, so far so good. Those of you who didn’t believed it possible, hopefully I (and a few others..Blizzard25 get on with it! lol) we will prove that a reliable turbo setup is possible.

The ultimate question people have is....part list.. so here we go:

For a CVT,

It is vital to mod you tranny setup first or kiss it goodbye...

1-for those of us who don’t have a external transmission cooler setup, you need to get a GTS cooler/warmer...mitsu part number: 2920A141 and that’s where I got it. (oor googlr the part number and you will see other distributers)

Filter is: 2824a006, and got it from dealer...

2-external oil cooler. There is different company, but I strongly suggest one with a fan. I got the mishimoto one.

3-an6 hose, I got 6 feet, just in case.

4-Transmission oil temperature gauge.

5-Better oil…I used ENEOS cvt oil but Red Line makes one too… (might try that one on my next oil change)

If you look closely, there is a coolant line going from the radiator, to the oil cooler/warmer. So to be on the safe side, I suggest the installation of a better radiator since with the turbo, it will run even hotter, and heat is very bad for our tranny.

6-evo x radiator (oem or in my case, I got a 2 row aluminium racing radiator, and also upgraded the fans , shroud and Silicone EVO X radiator hoses.

Turbo setup:

-ralliart complete turbo setup (td04hl)

*turbo, exhaust manifold, O2 housing, downpipe, gaskets, M10 X 1.25 turbo STUDS if not included with turbo… intercooler, intercooler piping)

-135 degree 2.5” tube to connect LICP tube to throttle body (EVO x and Ralliart throttle body is at 0 degree angle, ours is at 45 degree so it wont fit directly)

-4”min aluminium pipe to connect 135 degree with LICP

-stock ralliart wastegate

-"EVO X" sparkplug

-modified 2.5" OEM works but I got an e-bay special exhaust since I was to cut it to mke it connect with downpipe…more on that later

-OEM intake complete or aftermarket…I got a injen cold air intake, but DON’T get that, it doesn’t fit with the external transmission oil cooler setup, I had to cut and butcher it and still doesn’t fit properly. I will have to address that later, get the a short RAM air…

-manual boost controller (if you plan on rising boost later on I got a blox racing)

-an6 coolant hose

-an8 oil return braded hose

-an8 x2 90 degree braided hose end

-an8 male TD04HL oil drain adapter flange

-an8 steel weld-in bung

-an4 braided oil feed line

-an4 90 degree braided hose end

-an4 braided hose end

-an4 TD04HL oil feed adapter flange

-an4 female to 3/8 npt female adapter

-stock ralliart BOV or aftermarket if you wish.. I got a HKS ssqv4 bov

-EVO X injectors

-EVO X 3 bar MAP sensor

-AEM wideband A/F ratio gauge with sensor

-Prosport boost gauge

-Universal vacuum "T" junction

-Misc nut and bolts..

-Univesal engine oil cooler, not a must but since we are running hotter than an evo or ralliart, and they gave it, seemed logical to do so…

-an 10 braided hoses with fitting and adapter…mine came with the kit.

-PROPER sandwich plate. Don’t use the one to install sensors, use the ones for remote oil coolers.. THEY ARE DIFFERENT!

-Prosport engine oil pressure gauge

Options:

-EVO X or Ralliart intake manifold with throttle body (if you decide to use this, you won’t need the 135 degree tube)

-EVO X or Ralliart camshaft

TUNING

There is 2 ways of doing this…

a-GSR (manual) EVO X rom or the same year.. (will need to be tuned down…have codes, loose mivec. I ran with this for a month un-tuned and no issues. But DON’T RACE IT UNTILL YOU HAVE IT TUNED!!! YOULL BLOW YOUR TRANNY and ENGINE!!! This mean its relatively safe to drive to your tuner. To reactivate mivec, you will need a EVO X ECU but it works without MIVEC fine…

b-Get a custom build rom from your own vehicule (if you are good with HEX file and such…which I’m not, so I had an expert doing it.

One thing to remember, GSR rom works but have NO cvt information whatsoever in it…so your choice, both work fine.

Now on with the install:

If you don’t strengthen the transmission, don’t boost…

CVT transmission cooler install:
-Mishimoto oil cooler with fan (or other brand)
-GTS transmission oil cooler/warmer
-oil hose AN6...
-misc. fittings and bolts...
-ENEOS CVT oil!!!!!!
Remove airbox, batterie, tray (which is a real pain in the but, there are 12 mm bolt under the tray and they are HARD to reach!!!) and this is what you see:

DSCF2102_zps09b5351c.jpg

REMOVE OIL!!!!!!!!

ES oil cooler/warmer removed and replaced by GTS one. Notice the difference...GTS has 2 external adapter for oil cooler....ES and DE don't!

When you unplug the coolant lines, BEWARE!!! It will leak coolant from the tube to the radiator!!!! And its a BIG leak so be prepared!! I had to plug the hose with my thumb and finish the GTS oil cooleréwarmer install with one hand!!!!!!! THAT WAS ALSO A PAIN!!!! (I was alone..)

DSCF2104_zpsea7c00e5.jpg

Mishimoto oil cooler install. Depending on how you install the cooler, the fan will be facing in or out. Mine is facing the back cause I opted for a "puller" type fan. If you want the fan to push the air, make it face the front of the vehicule. When you plug the fan, the PULLER type will have the BLUE wire on the POSITIVE of the battterie, for the PUSHER fan the BLACK will be on POSITIVE instead

4ac2c17b-c2b2-4adb-b876-56b4552d61c5_zps

Install hoses...

88e554a4-4923-4f04-b4e1-c67838d8f3a0_zps

Put in the oil...good to go...NO MORE WHINE in the tranny and NO MORE SLIP

This is the oil I used for my CVT transmission...Hopefully will be better than the CVT-j1 and j4...

IMG_0041_zpsec7f6369.jpg

Engine external oil cooler...

There are other ways, but this is how I did it...

The goods:

-10 row oil cooler

-AN10 braided lines with appropriate fittings

-sandwich plate

-OIL!!!!

As an extra:

-Oil pressure gauge

-Oil temperature gauge

I chose to install the pressure gauge, but not the temp gauge...

DSCF1856_zpsbe3de3f7.jpg

Finf the best spot for the install (remove youir front bumper.....)

Since I have to install a CVT cooler on the drivers side, I chose to install it on the passenger side right in front of the washer fluid container and luckily, I have a vent in my C1 bumper right in front of it... If you are manual, I would suggest the drivers side for install...more room!

The install.....and braket-making... Fitement is the most important...Be sure your bumper fit on top of it before you plug ANY hoses....Would suck if you install everything, put the oil in the engine, only to find out you can put your bumper back on!!! :thumbdown:

Make the brackets... I chose some metal rods with holes already drilled in, paited them black to match the car...

DSCF2088_zpsc0ad8a05.jpg

Dry fitment pf the cooler....

DSCF2090_zpsb02a6a4f.jpg

After I was sure of fitment, I installed The hoses and try to have them not to tight. When the oil will circulate, the hoses might move because of pressure. Nice curve is better because you dont want to "kink" them to impede the oil flow.

DSCF2093_zps3e66b1eb.jpg

You can do this before, but I drained my oil at this point just in case I needed something at my local speed shop...

Drain oil...

Install sandwich plate

Attach oil filter (I chose to install a new one since at the same time...I did a complete oil change..lol)

Attach lines

Attach sensor from gauge...

NOTE: I put some teflon tape on EVERY fitting and screws...

DSCF2099_zps04ada529.jpg

Drop in the oil...

Note: It WILL take more oil than usual...Because of the cooler...

When you put the oil, the cooler will NOT be full of oil, the engine needs to run a bit for the oil pump to fill the cooler. So fill the oil to the marker on the dipstick. Start the engine, let it run a few seconds (DONT REV THE ENGINE!!!!) Shut it down, check your oil, fill again, restart the engine and re-check dip stick. Redo these step untill proper amount of oil is in...

CHECK FOR LEAKS!!!!!

DSCF2098_zps7e767028.jpg

Intall gauge wires to gauge semsor...
Now the install is complete, DO A TEST DRIVE!!!!! AND CHECK FOR LEAKS AGAIN!!!!!!

NEXT POST... Turbo install...

Awesome post! Good job! Lots of hard work that pays off!

This is awesome. If I had the money id would do this

very nice write up.

This is awesome. If I had the money id would do this

very nice write up.

Awesome post! Good job! Lots of hard work that pays off!

Thanks guys, more to come this PM...

Awesome! now i can start my turbo set up

Awesome! now i can start my turbo set up

I knew you'd like this..lol

Nice I wanna try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew you'd like this..lol

lol

Let me tell you a story about an Administrator. He was a very organized fellow. He loved when all the posts his forum members made were all of the same color. It made him happy.

Until one day, a man named T-Flash came, and FUCKED his day up. This fellow posted a very cool DIY guide on something very complex and interesting... But he posted half of his text in BLACK! This made anyone with a black background basically look at invisible text! This drove the Administrator CRAZY! Like, batshit crazy. His eye began to twitch.

So to fix this, the Administrator had to go through the WHOLE POST editing the black text to the standard gray text. This tired the Administrator.

The end.

Let me tell you a story about an Administrator. He was a very organized fellow. He loved when all the posts his forum members made were all of the same color. It made him happy.

Until one day, a man named T-Flash came, and f**** his day up. This fellow posted a very cool DIY guide on something very complex and interesting... But he posted half of his text in BLACK! This made anyone with a black background basically look at invisible text! This drove the Administrator CRAZY! Like, bat**** crazy. His eye began to twitch.

So to fix this, the Administrator had to go through the WHOLE POST editing the black text to the standard gray text. This tired the Administrator.

The end.

Sorry about that.. I dont know what happened, I didnt switch anything on purpose...

Very nice. I'm mounting my intercooler today while the front bumper is off, should be a couple paychecks away from the full install :thumbsup:

Until one day, a man named T-Flash came, and f**** his day up. This fellow posted a very cool DIY guide on something very complex and interesting... But he posted half of his text in BLACK! This made anyone with a black background basically look at invisible text! This drove the Administrator CRAZY! Like, bat**** crazy. His eye began to twitch.

The end.

Let me tell you a story about this Moderator. He too was a very organized fellow. He loved when all the post on the forum were all in the same color too just like we are posting now. That makes him happy.

One day this Administrator named TheDude came, and he uses some weird skin to where he can't see black text on a post somehow, which every post made is in black text. He had changed all the text to Gray text which makes people like me who use a skin with a White background have his eyes hurt badly trying to read light Gray text on white background. So now we have a dilema because what about the other members who use the same skin as myself and they look at this thread and die trying to read it?... I'm not going back through the whole post and doing any changes lol.

The End.

Let me tell you a story about this Moderator. He too was a very organized fellow. He loved when all the post on the forum were all in the same color too just like we are posting now. That makes him happy.

One day this Administrator named TheDude came, and he uses some weird skin to where he can't see black text on a post somehow, which every post made is in black text. He had changed all the text to Gray text which makes people like me who use a skin with a White background have his eyes hurt badly trying to read light Gray text on white background. So now we have a dilema because what about the other members who use the same skin as myself and they look at this thread and die trying to read it?... I'm not going back through the whole post and doing any changes lol.

The End.

To note, more people use PL Red then any other theme. PL Red has a black background. PL Modern = weird.

I want to do this.... Where's the money fairys when you need them???/

The End.

The end.

make it hyperlink blue. Problem solved XD lol

make it hyperlink blue. Problem solved XD lol

Ironically, there is a link posted in the post. It can barely be read, at least with black background.

Disclaimer red then?

TUNING

There is 2 ways of doing this…

a-GSR (manual) EVO X rom or the same year.. (will need to be tuned down…have codes, loose mivec. I ran with this for a month un-tuned and no issues. But DON’T RACE IT UNTILL YOU HAVE IT TUNED!!! YOULL BLOW YOUR TRANNY and ENGINE!!! This mean its relatively safe to drive to your tuner. To reactivate mivec, you will need a EVO X ECU but it works without MIVEC fine…

b-Get a custom build rom from your own vehicule (if you are good with HEX file and such…which I’m not, so I had an expert doing it.

One thing to remember, GSR rom works but have NO cvt information whatsoever in it…so your choice, both work fine.

There's also a third option, AEM F/IC 8. I chose not to go this route because I don't want to deal with the wiring, although I did find someone to do the tuning.

Congrats! Awesome write up! Someday I will walk down that line! Defiantly a game changer!! oh and I dont care what color the font is

There's also a third option, AEM F/IC 8. I chose not to go this route because I don't want to deal with the wiring, although I did find someone to do the tuning.

thats the way i intend to go once she's all paid off

Yes, but more expensive...more complicated...why bother when a simpler option is available? My opinion only...

Yes, but more expensive...more complicated...why bother when a simpler option is available? My opinion only...

Do you know how Brent and Merlin chose to deal with the load scaling? That was the reason for needing the FIC in the first place, there was no maps for past 100% load. You could scale, but the gaps would be too wide.

Do you know how Brent and Merlin chose to deal with the load scaling? That was the reason for needing the FIC in the first place, there was no maps for past 100% load. You could scale, but the gaps would be too wide.

From what I understand, he will be building a rom and rom definition from scratch with my lancer rom as template......

Can't wait to see a vid of your car in action once it's complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright,

For my project, I decided to upgrade my cooling system. The logic being that the CVT is cooled by the radiator fluid, and boosting it would increase the heat levels. So to keep every thing cool, it was a step I wanted to make.

I bought a 2 row aluminium racing evo x radiator, silicone radiator hoses (evo x) to make it pretty and a aluminium shroud with fan (or stock NA lancer shroud DOES fit directly so this is not a must, but one of my fan took a dump in traffic and decided to do the switch...)

A stock evo x or RA radiator should also do thetrick and is a direct swap too.

IMG_0059_zps5fab6ffd.jpg

1- Remove bumper

2- Remove ALL fluids... You'll have a nasty mess if you dont.

3- Remove hoses

4- Remove cross member above the radiator

5- Remove radiator

6- Remove filler adapter from old radiator

7- Drop in evo x radiator (SWITCH YOUR FAN SHROUD HERE IF YOU PUT AND AFTERMARKET ONE, DO YOUR WIRING TOO!)

IMG_0001_zps295fd9a3.jpg

8- re-attach all hoses (new or old... some cutting may be involved in the evo x hoses upgrade for proper fitment) DONT FORGET THE COOLANT EXPANSION RESERVOIR.

IMG_0007_zpsc6aeca5b.jpg

9- Put cross member back.....And Ieven got to keep the AC..

IMG_0019_zps16886e68.jpg

10- PUT FLUIDS BACK IN!!!!!!! and I put some" water wetter" additive too, help with cooling...(Mishimoto also have an additive like it)

Turbo setup...

Be sure you have all you need, cause if you dont, have a fall back mode of transportation...lol...It will be handy if you need a bolt or something....

fo7y.jpg

So its pretty basic to install the mechanical parts, so this will be an overview. If you don't know what a header, intake manifold is...i strongly suggest you study a bit or take it to a buddy who knows...lol

1- Rip out exhaust...

2- Take out exhaust manifold (header)

3- take out airbox (or aftermarket air intake and filter)

4- Drain oil (you'll need to upgrade anyway...) remove oil pan and get your steel an8 oil return weld-in bung welded...pics the the oil section later....

5- Drain coolant

6- Put turbo on turbo manifold, that is where you need your m10x1.25 studs..they can be 1.5 inch or the OEM one are fine. You can put the turbo after if you want. My wastegate actuator was already on it, so if you got a aftermarket one, install it before.

7- Bolt exhaust manifold on engine block. Don't forget the exhaust manifold gasket. Your block has only 5 bolt holes, and turbo manifold 10...DONT worry, we are all like that...just put the 5 in and its fine...

Should look like this:

5f77bd25-aa29-4cc8-83bb-d3107e9813b1_zps

note that I have kept the original coolant lines...

8- Put O2 housing and downpipe

Now hadware is installed, get to the coolant and oil setup...

1- Unplug top coolant lines from throttle body. You will have to change the hose because its not long enough.. It goes to a spot on the engine block

f2e0f04f-82ca-411f-8289-af207c272914_zps

2- Take your an6 hose, plug one end to the throttle body, the other to the turbo coolant line, PUT YOUR HOSE CLAMP BEFORE... and secure the hose.

3- Take your other an6 hose (you need two, thats why you should purchase an adequate length...I bough 3 meters and I had a little left over. cut them at this point, so you have the accurate length) Plug it to the spot under the radiator hose fitting on the block, and to the other coolant fitting on your turbo.

Bam....coolant done