Blizzard25

How To: Install Evo X Camshafts

15 posts in this topic

Pictures to come later everyone. But hopefully this will help people out.

Tools that will help out: Mitsubishi's "special" tool for the timing chain tensioner release. It can be done with this though. Part number is MB992103

Before I begin, I'll start out by saying all gaskets/o-rings should be replaced upon install. If you see a gasket/o-ring, oil up and new one and replace it. Also, I'm not including valve clearance checks and tappet inspections, I'll do another write up later or I'll post the technical page from Mitsubishi.

1) Remove the engine cover.

2) Remove coil packs and valve cover..

3) Turn the crank clockwise so that the camshaft sprocket timing marks become horizontal to the cylinder header upper surface, setting the cylinder #1 to the top dead center of compression. Check that the crank pulley timing mark (if you have a stock crank pulley) is in the 0 degree position of the ignition timing indicator of the timing chain case assembly

4) Put paint marks on both the camshaft sprocket and timing chain at the position of the camshaft sprocket timing chain mating mark (it's a circular hole)

5) Insert a precision flat-tipped screwdriver through the service hole of the timing chain case, press up on the timing chain tensioner ratchet to unlock, and keep the timing chain tensioner in that state

6) With the timing chain tensioner unlocked, insert the tensioner tool inside the timing chain case assembly along the tension side of the timing chain until the insertion guide line aligns with the upper surface of the timing chain case assembly.

7) With your tensioner tool inserted, press the tool against the intake side camshaft sprocket and spread and hold the timing chain tension side guide

8) Remove the flat-tipped precision screwdriver unlocking the timing chain tensioner.

NOTE: AT THIS POINT, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ROTATE THE CRANKSHAFT. YOUR LIFE WILL SUCK BIG TIME IF YOU DO.

9) With the tensioner side guide spread, hook the tensioner tool over the hexagonal part of the camshaft on the exhaust side, and turn the camshaft clockwise to apply slack to the timing chain between the camshaft sprockets.

NOW 75% OF YOUR REMOVAL/INSTALL IS DONE. JUST LOOSENING THE STUPID TIMING CHAIN WAS WHAT TOOK ME THE LONGEST.

10) Loosen the mounting bolts of the camshaft bearing caps, and remove the camshaft bearing cap assembly CAUTION: WHEN THE CAMSHAFT BEARING CAP MOUNTING BOLTS ARE LOOSENED AT ONCE, THE MOUNTING BOLTS JUMP OUT BY THE SPRING FORCE AND THE THREADS ARE DAMAGED. ALWAYS LOOSEN THE MOUNTING BOLTS IN FOUR OR FIVE STAGES. ALSO BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE CAMSHAFT BEARINGS AND SET THEM DOWN GENTLY, OR THEY WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED.

11) Remove the exhaust camshaft and exhaust camshaft gear together

12) After removal of the cam/cam gear, hang the timing chain up with a rope to prevent it getting snagged on anything

13) Remove the cam gear bolt and remove the camshaft, and install the Evo X exhaust camshaft. Apply engine oil to the thread of the cam gear bolt when installing. Torque specs are 59 to 67 ft*lbs.

14) The exhaust cam goes in basically the same way it came out. Apply and adequate amount of engine oil to the outer edge of the camshaft and the entire insertion area around the cam gear assembly. Set the knock pin hold of the cam gear assembly to the right overhead position, and insert in back in the head.

15) Install exhaust cam bearings and bolts in exactly the same position they came out. The bearings are not interchangeable. Apply engine oil to the bearings. The end bearing caps were previously sealed with RTV, reseal them with new RTV. Bolts should be tightened in four to five steps. Torque specs are 99 to 115 in*lbs for the bearings, and 22 to 24 ft*lbs for the end bearing caps.

16) Intake camshaft is very similar, except for the cam sensor on the drivers side. Remove the cam sensor from the cam and do installation procedure as previously mentioned.

17) After cams/cam gears are installed with the timing chain on, make sure the paint marks you previously made are still in the same place. You can take out the timing chain tensioner tool now.

18) Remove any sealant fro the valve cover, apply new sealant to the new valve cover gasket and put the valve cover back on. Torque specs for the valve cover bolts are 45 to 53 in*lbs.

19) Reinstall coil packs and engine cover, and by god you are done with installing.

20) Before you start your car, just to make everything is running smoothly, jack the front of your car up and take off the passenger side wheel. Rotate your crank pulley a few rotations and listen for any noises or anything out of the ordinary.

21) If everything sounds okay, you can flash your car with the tune that you should have, start your car and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Don't drive it without letting it idle.

I might have missed something, these are the steps I wrote down from a technical website to do my install. If I am please let me know.

Very good write up. How long did it take you to install the evo camshaft?

Wow I was just thinking I want to do this mod and how difficult it would be to have to do it. Thanks for this. Where can we get X cams from anyway?

Very good write up. How long did it take you to install the evo camshaft?

Took about 5, maybe 6 hours. A majority of that time was just backtracking and making sure we were doing the right thing before actually doing it. I've heard that if you are really comfortable with it and know exactly what to do it can be done in 2 hours.

Wow I was just thinking I want to do this mod and how difficult it would be to have to do it. Thanks for this. Where can we get X cams from anyway?

I got mine from a member on here, but they sell them all the time on evox and evolutionm forums. Also, the facebook groups "Evo X Swap Meet" and "evo parts and deals" have some that pop up every now and then. Every time someone posts on those facebook pages asking if anyone has any, there's always a response within a day. I might be getting some Kelford 270/262 cams, so IF that does happen mine will go up for sale.

Thanks Bro...

Took about 5, maybe 6 hours. A majority of that time was just backtracking and making sure we were doing the right thing before actually doing it. I've heard that if you are really comfortable with it and know exactly what to do it can be done in 2 hours.

I got mine from a member on here, but they sell them all the time on evox and evolutionm forums. Also, the facebook groups "Evo X Swap Meet" and "evo parts and deals" have some that pop up every now and then. Every time someone posts on those facebook pages asking if anyone has any, there's always a response within a day. I might be getting some Kelford 270/262 cams, so IF that does happen mine will go up for sale.

So the Kelford 214-B cams are what you are looking at then? I wanted a set but wasn't sure how compatible they would be with the 4b12. I was thinking better valves to go along with the stronger springs and new tappets. Might as well do more at once so I don't have to pull it all apart over and over you know?

So the Kelford 214-B cams are what you are looking at then? I wanted a set but wasn't sure how compatible they would be with the 4b12. I was thinking better valves to go along with the stronger springs and new tappets. Might as well do more at once so I don't have to pull it all apart over and over you know?

Yes the 214-B, which require the new springs to work. Just depends on how much power I get with my Ralliart set up, if I can get over 220 I'll probably do it. Anyway, let's not thread drift.

what tools would be required for this?

i am going to try this at home but can anyone help with the tool list?? thank you

wrenchs, sockets, socket wrench, wd40, impact wrench, mistu special tool and elbow greese

torque wrench, beer.....and colorful language

Hey man idk if you even use this site still but I have a 2008 Lancer ES and I've bought a new cam for it and I've tried to install it but I can't get the tentioner part right , I'm trying to push up on it and put pressure on the chain guide, but nothing will work. If you did any tricks to help you that you could share, that'd be great thanks.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:56 AM, Levithepantsguy said:

Hey man idk if you even use this site still but I have a 2008 Lancer ES and I've bought a new cam for it and I've tried to install it but I can't get the tentioner part right , I'm trying to push up on it and put pressure on the chain guide, but nothing will work. If you did any tricks to help you that you could share, that'd be great thanks.

There is a small screw in the timing chain cover covering the tensioner, Unscrew it, and you have to insert a small screwdriver in there to release the tensioner. Its easier done with 2 person. One "fiddles" with the tensioner while the other uses the prybar to push in the tensioner. 

Yes