Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fiveandahalf

Mitsu Pulley Recall

76 posts in this topic

i actually just read something on this today. apparently something with the drive belt. i beleive they just did this recall like this week. im going to call the dealer just incase and hey maybe i get a new pulley :). i just got my recall as well for one of the seals so maybe i can take it in for both.

I'll wait for the paperwork and then have them do the work.

mee too, I need a new belt anyways

Is this the same pully we can swap out for the alutech pully?

no its the tensioner pulleys. not the crank pulley

So what is the big redesign with 2012-14, that these years arent included?

Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

SUMMARY:
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (Mitsubishi) is recalling certain model year 2008-2011 Lancer, Lancer Evolution, and Outlander; 2009-2011 Lancer Sportback and 2011 Outlander Sport vehicles. The affected vehicles, manufactured with 4B1 engines, have an engine pulley and belt arrangement for turning the alternator, the cooling fan and the power steering pump (if equipped). These pulleys may experience unusual wear and allow for belt detachment.

CONSEQUENCE:
If the drive belt detaches, the battery may discharge, resulting in an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the drive belt with a rubber belt. Drive pulleys that are excessively worn will be replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Mitsubishi customer service at 1-888-648-7820. Mitsubishi's number for this recall is SR-14-009.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

this says engine drive pulleys? but other reading I did said the tensioners. I guess I need clarification on what mitsu considers a engine drive pulley. this is the official press release from mitsu according to autoblog.

Dealer is fixing my car due to recall. They said I am getting a new belt and they have to check all pulleys and if they are bad they will replace pulleys that are bad. Its going in Tuesday

thanks for letting us know. give us some feedback after it is all said and done?

I'm taking both my RA's in soon for this. Remember guys it does not matter if your car is modified they have to fix the issue.

Hey, im just wondering. isn't there some kinda of loophole that prohibits dealers from denying a recall repair, even to a modded vehicle?

or am I way off base there?

Looks like I'll be taking mine in next month for this. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm taking both my RA's in soon for this. Remember guys it does not matter if your car is modified they have to fix the issue.

I was debating about leaving my rrm pulley on or off.... I probably put the oem back on just for piece of mind

Just looking here http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2008-11-mitsubishi-lancer-recalled-because-drive-belt-may-detach.html

it states at the bottom:

Edmunds says: Owners of these vehicles will have to wait for an official recall notice before taking action. But if you are experiencing a problem in the meantime, it's best to contact your dealer.

When/how will we know if there's an "official" recall?

So I am assuming that even if were not under warranty or anything, we can still bring it in? Im going to my local dealer this week to check it out. Free is for me

Recalls are under NHTSA, since they're safety related, the dealer is supposed to do any work regardless of if you are still in warranty or not.

It's the parts that the manufacturer used on their cars from the get-go that are defective and could possible cause an accident...

I just got my letter in the mail today about it, I think thats the official recall notice.

me too! it looked official to me haha

it states that the belt material causes wear on the pulleys thus making it slip off...

I just got mine. I Checked my belt and it looks fine. and I couldn't see any pully that looked unusual. should I even worry about it? I only ask, because the nearest mitsu dealer is a little under 30 minutes away, and because both my car and my moms car would in the shop so id be stuck at the dealer for a while

I got my letter today. Already made appointment with dealer. Goes in tuesday. Tonight i noticed an odd noise in belt area. Sounds like its coming from pully on tensioner. Belt itself looks fine. I got a lil over 56k on my car

I just got mine. I Checked my belt and it looks fine. and I couldn't see any pully that looked unusual. should I even worry about it? I only ask, because the nearest mitsu dealer is a little under 30 minutes away, and because both my car and my moms car would in the shop so id be stuck at the dealer for a while

^^ I would just do it for the sake of having the dealer do something for me for free, for a change. It is a safety issue, and maybe they'll find something...

Unless you're also worried about them noting down your mods and using it against you in future warranty claims.

For those of you getting this done.. if you could post part numbers of the revised parts that they used that would be great. That way if anyone is paranoid about bringing their car to the dealer they could change it themselves.

The real fix would be to get a revised belt, and new metal pulleys, Hyundai ones fit, and not use crappy plastic ones.

^^ I would just do it for the sake of having the dealer do something for me for free, for a change. It is a safety issue, and maybe they'll find something...

Unless you're also worried about them noting down your mods and using it against you in future warranty claims.

For those of you getting this done.. if you could post part numbers of the revised parts that they used that would be great. That way if anyone is paranoid about bringing their car to the dealer they could change it themselves.

The real fix would be to get a revised belt, and new metal pulleys, Hyundai ones fit, and not use crappy plastic ones.

im pretty sure they are doing a "real" fix. i would say replacing the belt and any worn pulleys is justified as a "real" fix... personally i wouldnt do this my self. with my notice is has a part to be sent back into mitsu so they can track which cars are fixed...

I got my letter today. Already made appointment with dealer. Goes in tuesday. Tonight i noticed an odd noise in belt area. Sounds like its coming from pully on tensioner. Belt itself looks fine. I got a lil over 56k on my car

was it a high pitched squeel?

im pretty sure they are doing a "real" fix. i would say replacing the belt and any worn pulleys is justified as a "real" fix... personally i wouldnt do this my self. with my notice is has a part to be sent back into mitsu so they can track which cars are fixed...

I was just saying, if they used metal pulleys instead, the belt shouldn't have worn into the pulley.

Fact is metal pulleys with sealed bearings are way more realiable and last longer than plastic ones.