JukEboX

How To: Install Led Scuff Plates (And Other Things That Light Up With Your Dome Light)

13 posts in this topic

Good Evening Gents! Time for another JukEboX Tutorial!

I know, I know, try to contain yourself.

Let's get started.

PURPOSE: Today we will learn how to install LED Scuff plates and this can be done for any other item you would like to hook up to your Dome Light switch. The scuff plates are my more recent item to install and so we will use these as the example.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:

• Your New LED Scuff Plates (Or whatever else your installing).
  • Roll of double sided tape.
  • Wire cutters
  • Extra wire (if needed)

TOTAL INSTALL TIME: 45 Minutes to an Hour.

LETS BEGIN!

STEP 1:

Thanks to @fastcar123 for this information you will need to remove this plug from your fuse box on the inside driver side dash. It's a pain in the ass to get out for me but I may have week fingers. Do not pull on the wires, just use the push button. This will kill power to your dome light.

FUSEBOXc316_zps6c192af0.png

STEP 2:

The old scuff plates are held on by light double sided tape.

Old Driver's Side

Take a flat headed screw driver and wrap the end of the screwdriver in the towel. Put it under the scuff plate and pull up. Don't use the frame as a lever because you will dent your frame. It will take a tiny bit of time but they will come up.

Removed Passenger Side

Take a bit of goo gone or orange clean and take off the extra glue on the paint. I use Orange floor polish :P

STEP 3:

You may need to remove the plastic from under the dash to get more wiggle room in the wire and so you can work under there. Take the provided long wire or a your extra wire and strip an area on the red and yellow wires on the plug you pulled out in STEP 1. Attach your positive wire to the red wire on the plug and your negative to the yellow wire. If you have a third wire on the plug like purple, leave that one alone. We won't need it.

STEP 4:

Remove all the plastics that run along the end of the car. From the drivers side panel where the hood release is to the drivers side lower pylon and the rear plastic cover which snaps in under the seat. Do the same for the passenger side but do not take off the dash on the passenger side. We won't be going that far.

STEP 5:

Run the long wire (or wires if you need to run to if the long wire was not provided) down the inside of the driver side dash, through the plastic holders for the wires on the drivers side. Feed the wire (or wires) through the back seat so they sit under the carpet in the trunk and over to the passenger side. Do the same in reverse on the passenger side. You should have enough of the long wire (or wires) to reach at least the middle of the passenger front door frame.

Wire Ran And Connected

STEP 6:

Lift up the rubber seal that is sitting on the door frame along the bottom of the door frame. We will be putting the wire under this. Remove the double sided tape from the bottom of the scuff plate and make sure it is positioned flat in the middle of the door frame and as far back as you can place it. (*** QUICK TIP *** Some things that I have ordered with double sided tape did not put enough on to actually reach the surface. You many need to add another layer so the plate sits flush with the ground and sticks.)

Installed Rear Passenger Side

STEP 7:

Run the wire the scuff plate over the edge of the door frame and put the rubber seal over it so it hugs the door frame under the rubber seal. Plug in the wire to the socket on the long wire (or if your using 2 of your own wires connect the plugs of the harnesses provided and attach the positive to positive wire your your running and the negative to negative wire your running.)

STEP 8:

The first three should all be daisy chained to the long wire from the drivers side front, driver side rear, and passenger rear. On the passenger front if you have the plug type of wire then plug it in. If you have the extra wire and harness just like before only plug the positive wire to the end of the positive wire you ran and the negative to the negative wire you ran.

STEP 9:

Make sure your put some electrical tape on the wires you tapped into at the plug so they stay safe from the elements. Place your plastics back onto the car in the correct places and put the driver's side dash back together.

Zoom In

STEP 10:
Plug in your dome light plug and since your door is open, your dome and scuff plates should all light up! YOUR DONE!

Rear Door

NOTES:
  1. If you are running your own wires you might need a 1Amp 250V fuse to plug into your positive wire but these use 12V power so it should not be a problem.
  2. If your unsure on installation please take them to a professional repair person to have them installed. Never be scared to ask for help.
  3. If your installing anything else to your dome light these steps are pretty simple to follow as long as you know where your running wires to and that you should terminate at the end of the wire with both positive and negative. The plug we tapped into controls when to turn the light on for the door so connecting to any old ground won't let this work correctly.

I would like to that fastcar123 for his help in electrical knowledge of the fuse box as well as DJSPE3D for helping me find the dead fuse that they sent me in my wiring setup. Luckily Radio shack sells fuses by the 5s.

Any questions or changes please let me know!

nice write up! I always love viewing these

This looks great, and just in time too! I plan to wire LEDs as welcome lights and in the door handle wells, so this is a big help!

Very nice!

This looks great, and just in time too! I plan to wire LEDs as welcome lights and in the door handle wells, so this is a big help.

That sounds awesome. Please show us how they look in the end.

That sounds awesome. Please show us how they look in the end.

For sure!

maybe i'll have my buddy install these for me cause they are SIIICK!

maybe i'll have my buddy install these for me cause they are SIIICK!

Yeah super glad I got them

if I don't have scuff pads on my car at all will I be able to still do this?

bump because i have the same question

Should be able to

if I don't have scuff pads on my car at all will I be able to still do this?

bump because i have the same question

Yes they will!

Nice writeup, maybe I'll get some Mitsu courtesy lights some day.