EricGTS

All About Exhausts.

96 posts in this topic

Hi,

Thoughts on my post??

Dundid

Hello, I have a 2012 Lancer ES, I'm looking to buy a Catback, but all the cats I find are for previous models where the piping was different, also another question

Does the Cat really adds Power to the car or is it just the noise? I don't want to spend like 600dlls for just the sound....

Thanks any help appreciated!!!

Hello, I have a 2012 Lancer ES, I'm looking to buy a Catback, but all the cats I find are for previous models where the piping was different, also another question

Does the Cat really adds Power to the car or is it just the noise? I don't want to spend like 600dlls for just the sound....

Thanks any help appreciated!!!

Having owned an es, gts and now a ralliart ill chime in.

ES- Not much power to be made purely with an axle back. you would need to put a lot of work in for very little gains.

Gts- mods help especially if you add a tune.

I sugguest finding a used exhaust regardless of how the piping was made, have an exhaust shop weld it on and make a pipe to connect to it. This should cost you no more than $100

Youre looking at $300 for an exhaust.

I just did this on my ralliart. all exhausts are like $700+ found a used HKS legamax and midpipe for the evo x , picked it up for a ridiculous price of $120. Shop welded it on for $115 (muffler and mid pipe).

Best of luck!

Having owned an es, gts and now a ralliart ill chime in.

ES- Not much power to be made purely with an axle back. you would need to put a lot of work in for very little gains.

Gts- mods help especially if you add a tune.

I sugguest finding a used exhaust regardless of how the piping was made, have an exhaust shop weld it on and make a pipe to connect to it. This should cost you no more than $100

Youre looking at $300 for an exhaust.

I just did this on my ralliart. all exhausts are like $700+ found a used HKS legamax and midpipe for the evo x , picked it up for a ridiculous price of $120. Shop welded it on for $115 (muffler and mid pipe).

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply, where did you get the used exhaust? ebay, forums? where could I find something good...

By the way I already have a Takeda SRI, will that be better combined with a catback?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, where did you get the used exhaust? ebay, forums? where could I find something good...

By the way I already have a Takeda SRI, will that be better combined with a catback?

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121859387798

Ohh, that's an axle back, I'm looking for a full catback, possibly also headers. Thanks for the link though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't notice much difference unless you get a tune. You may lose back pressure you can also easily have a shop cut the pipe after the cat and weld a straight pipe to the exhaust.... Giving you a cat back......

Ohh, that's an axle back, I'm looking for a full catback, possibly also headers. Thanks for the link though...

Currently the best headers (atleast IMO) to get are the RPW 4-2-1 headers. These emphasize low-mid power rather than the 4-1 headers which emphasize the top of the band.

RPW makes a 4-2-1 header for the Lancer that is VERY good. I have had mine on my car for...well I honestly don't remember how long it's been. One of the best mods I may have ever done as it really filled in the power gap remaining between my intake and my axle back.

A cat back exhaust won't do you much good simply because the 4B11 isn't pushing out enough power NA to be restricted. You'll get a noisier car, but you won't receive much power just for swapping that mid pipe. If you really want a catback however, the Tsudo is an option : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsudo-2008-2011-Mitsubishi-Lancer-DE-ES-GTS-FED-Race-Headerback-Catback-Exhaust-/291257676450?fits=Model%3ALancer&hash=item43d04f72a2:g:C-kAAOSwq7JULOI7&vxp=mtr

If you're looking for more power, you'll need a tune. The only tuners that I know of willing to even fiddle with the Lancer are the guys at RRM. They'll be able to get you an e-Tune. I would make sure that you get in touch with them and figure out if they still offer the service. They'll tell you what you need.

Currently the best headers (atleast IMO) to get are the RPW 4-2-1 headers. These emphasize low-mid power rather than the 4-1 headers which emphasize the top of the band.

RPW makes a 4-2-1 header for the Lancer that is VERY good. I have had mine on my car for...well I honestly don't remember how long it's been. One of the best mods I may have ever done as it really filled in the power gap remaining between my intake and my axle back.

A cat back exhaust won't do you much good simply because the 4B11 isn't pushing out enough power NA to be restricted. You'll get a noisier car, but you won't receive much power just for swapping that mid pipe. If you really want a catback however, the Tsudo is an option : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsudo-2008-2011-Mitsubishi-Lancer-DE-ES-GTS-FED-Race-Headerback-Catback-Exhaust-/291257676450?fits=Model%3ALancer&hash=item43d04f72a2:g:C-kAAOSwq7JULOI7&vxp=mtr

If you're looking for more power, you'll need a tune. The only tuners that I know of willing to even fiddle with the Lancer are the guys at RRM. They'll be able to get you an e-Tune. I would make sure that you get in touch with them and figure out if they still offer the service. They'll tell you what you need.

great, thanks for the reply's. Im considering the ECU tune aswell.....

this Tsudo catback will fit my Lancer model ? I have 2012 and the exhaust pipe goes through the Axle (right side)

I ask because it says 2008-2011

great, thanks for the reply's. Im considering the ECU tune aswell.....

this Tsudo catback will fit my Lancer model ? I have 2012 and the exhaust pipe goes through the Axle (right side)

I ask because it says 2008-2011

My bad for not double checking your model.

No that won't fit. I think you'd have to go with a custom for all the piping between the axle back and the header. Shouldn't be a problem. I'd suggest getting an axle back you like and then seeing if you really want anymore noise.

Has anyone ever had a shop make the 2008-11 Magnaflow Catback 2.0L exhaust work with the 2012+ 2.4L?

36 minutes ago, tofu27 said:

Has anyone ever had a shop make the 2008-11 Magnaflow Catback 2.0L exhaust work with the 2012+ 2.4L?

The exhaust will work and bolt up fine, albeit the hangers may be different, the problem is how restrictive the piping is in either model. The problem is that the piping size may vary between a 2.0 and 2.4 model of an exhaust and only the manufacturer or owners of both versions of the exhaust would have that information.

The exhaust should bolt up fine and if any changes need to be made, I suspect they will be minimal.

Would a 2011 gts Greddyrs exhaust fit on a 2011 es?

1 minute ago, WilliamG said:

Would a 2011 gts Greddyrs exhaust fit on a 2011 es?

Yep. From the axle back it should be just fine. The only problem might be hangars AND/OR potentially how it bolts up.

PS : Hey Will, it's Carl lol. I'll get pictures of how the RS mounts under the car for you and post em here so everyone can see.

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Crosxs said:

The exhaust will work and bolt up fine, albeit the hangers may be different, the problem is how restrictive the piping is in either model. The problem is that the piping size may vary between a 2.0 and 2.4 model of an exhaust and only the manufacturer or owners of both versions of the exhaust would have that information.

The exhaust should bolt up fine and if any changes need to be made, I suspect they will be minimal.

Yeah I know that the hangers differ. 

Will take it to a shop maybe tomorrow and see the difference and amount of work it will require.  Since RRM won't reply to my questions. 

On November 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Megalodon said:

Hi
I'm new here. I have 2010 Lancer GTS Sportback 4b12 and I was just wondering what people are doing for Axle-backs.I have been looking at the OBX and SR*S.

I also asked SE Motors and they told me that the Tsudo would not fit because of the bumper on the SB.

The OBX only shows 2.0 but will it fit the SB?

This is the OBX on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181858993274?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the SRS on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251999535482?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This shows that this will fit but it also shows it will fit 2.0L so i think that the OBX will also fit.

I just don't know...

Thanks,
Meg

I am thinking about doing just a Greedy Supreme SP. That connects to the straight pipe to the header correct? I don't think I need to go with a catback and everything. Maybe I don't have the understanding here. Can someone fill me in?

13 minutes ago, JukEboX said:

I am thinking about doing just a Greedy Supreme SP. That connects to the straight pipe to the header correct? I don't think I need to go with a catback and everything. Maybe I don't have the understanding here. Can someone fill me in?

Quick rundown :
The motor connects to your Header
Header connects to your cat
Cat connects to your mid pip
Mid Pipe runs to the axleback

Suggestions :
Unless you are looking for an incredibly loud car, I would suggest simply going with an axle back. The Greddy SP Elite in my experience was pretty close to being just loud enough but not overly loud like my Greddy RS was.

If you're going for sound of looks take an axleback. is power the thing get a complete system

i've only made an axleback change for a custom one

View My Video

I was looking under my car and was wondering why Mitsubishi decided to run the exhaust over the pass side a-arm Instead of the center of the car like a lot of the lancers?  By them running the exhaust this way it limits the options out there   Could I change it to run down the center.

Also, what exactly is the resonator can.  Is it just an open can?   Or is it like a catalytic convertor?  Could I just cut the exhaust in front of the resonator and run it under the crossbar ( see pic 2 where the notch is )  

image_zpsofnbfyl7.jpeg

image_zpsnpj5jhwk.jpeg

I was looking under my car and was wondering why Mitsubishi decided to run the exhaust over the pass side a-arm Instead of the center of the car like a lot of the lancers?  By them running the exhaust this way it limits the options out there   Could I change it to run down the center.

Also, what exactly is the resonator can.  Is it just an open can?   Or is it like a catalytic convertor?  Could I just cut the exhaust in front of the resonator and run it under the crossbar ( see pic 2 where the notch is )  

image_zpsofnbfyl7.jpeg

image_zpsnpj5jhwk.jpeg

Yes like i said you can change it to run down the center.

Just run it after the resonator or remove the resonator you won't need it with an aftermarket exhaust

Exhaust work like this is easy for any decent shop.

What is inside of the resinator?  Is it open straight threw?  What is its purpose?

Resonators are used to tune for sound within the exhaust. They're partially responsible for why you get such a nice exhaust note that isn't too loud. I wouldn't suggest removing the resonator from the stock piping on either the 2.4 or 2.0 systems. Personally, my objective is to get a nice aggressive sound that isn't too loud.

Don't forget that your exhaust note can also be paired with an intake noise. Part of the reason for resonators is so that when you use the car for extended periods of time, let's say drives of 30 mins to an hour or longer, the note can be exhausting on your hearing. 

A suggestion to counter this is to sound deaden your rear doors and trunk.