howard.texas

Exhaust Decisions

16 posts in this topic

I've read multiple posts and I still can't decide on which exhaust to get. i want to get a nice deep sound. Should I get a header with it, and if so which one? Plus, what ever site I go to, only shows the rear section.

Search Google for site called " minkara carview english " Choose mitsubishi, then Galant -Fortis ( JDM name for your lancer ) then Parts review, then Exhaust. There you find a lot of previously unknown exhausts for this car,

And about that " only shows the rear section " Because it is all you get. You need to understand when buying exhaust, difference between, Axle back, cat back and head back exhausts.

I've read multiple posts and I still can't decide on which exhaust to get. i want to get a nice deep sound. Should I get a header with it, and if so which one? Plus, what ever site I go to, only shows the rear section.

Going by what you describe, it sounds like you're going for sound. If that's the case, then you want an axle-back. Greddy and Tsudo are my two favorite mufflers sound wise.

A header is going to give you a HP gain + sound, but you won't get the full effect out of it with a stock exhaust or just an axle-back. Performance of the headers is optimized with a less restricting exhaust setup, such as a HF cat back, or even a header back setup.

As for which header, that is up to you. Generally a 4-1 header will create more peak power towards higher RPMs whereas the 4-2-1 header creates the most towards the lower end of the RPM. 4-1, generally, is better for manual cars because you can choose when to shift at x amount of RPMs.

Supercircuit and OBX make good headers from what i've seen.

I have a Tsudo-N1, if you want browse you tube, a guy shows his off but to be honest the sound is better and more satisfying than the video shows.

Im looking for an exhaust mod too to get a deep sound (and performance improvement a secondary plus). But all the sound i have heard is that sharp and thin sound (not sure if its because of the recording) and i prefer more of that Mustang/Challenger deep sound instead, if that is even possible.

That being the case, the only closest deep i came across and something which i feel is good to buy is this: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.699981816754174.1073742019.255496151202745&type=3

The fact that this one has a switch to be turned off/on makes it very desirable. But im not sure if this is legal and whether it is negative for the car, etc. Any comments ?

i really doubt you'll be able to get that "mustang,challenger" growl not on a lancer. closest thing to that maybe to do what you said from the link but i wouldnt personally do that , thats just my own personal preference or why not custom exhaust delete the res delete the muffler with some headers should sound good or even straight pipe it "some ppl dont like it straight piped" but as far as coming close to the mustang growl i dont beleive so.

It looks like the system from the link you posted has an option to open a diverter to at least partial straight pipe, not sure if it closes off the path to the muffler or just opens the straight side. Legality? No clue, but I'm sure cali will crack down on that, not sure if that would pass inspection in NYS for that matter either

https://vimeo.com/126112507

This is my exhaust it's a CNT axel back with a resonator delete it pops nicely and has an awesome sound to it. Only downfall is that axel back is more for

Sound then it is for power but I figured this would be a good example to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the system from the link you posted has an option to open a diverter to at least partial straight pipe, not sure if it closes off the path to the muffler or just opens the straight side. Legality? No clue, but I'm sure cali will crack down on that, not sure if that would pass inspection in NYS for that matter either

So because of legal ramifications I have put off plans to get that setup.

Now im trying to figure out an exhaust that would best improve over the stock GT but stays safe within the legal limits. Just getting a muscle tone with discreet attention would be goal, and performance improvement always a great plus.

There are so many videos and types of exhaust im kind off brain overloaded. Also because its a recording I have no idea of how it relates in real life and legality. And since not that much of an expert on this, best to get something that easy install and not requiring mods.

So because of legal ramifications I have put off plans to get that setup.

Now im trying to figure out an exhaust that would best improve over the stock GT but stays safe within the legal limits. Just getting a muscle tone with discreet attention would be goal, and performance improvement always a great plus.

There are so many videos and types of exhaust im kind off brain overloaded. Also because its a recording I have no idea of how it relates in real life and legality. And since not that much of an expert on this, best to get something that easy install and not requiring mods.

If you have the money i'be heard very good things about the magnaflow catback system, nice deep tone with a slight power boost. if you want to stay on a decent price range, Greddy has opened a Pre- order option for the new RS they are making. last i checked it was on sale for $355 and will ship late may to early june

I know a few people have Greddys, they seem satisfied with their product.

Greddys exhausts look desirable but how do you people get through vehicle inspection ? Do you change back your intakes and exhausts every time you renew your vehicle tests ?

Not an issue in NY. Not sure what they do for emissions testing in other states, but for the most part as long as you have a cat and muffler NY is okay with it

Worried more about the noise levels though. It is strict here but no defined permissible levels so totally depends on the inspector. Would prefer the noise levels to be within standard levels but with subtle deepness. Thinking about this, i wonder if there are after make exhausts that give performance while noise levels are controlled enough to be close to stock. Which then goes back to issue of CVT engine not fit for much noticeable performance improvement. So sound and performance wise a mod exhaust seems a no go for me. :thumbdown:

CVT engine will produce more noise (loud and deep) aftermarket exhaust. I was suffering from that but i managed to resolve that cabin drone issue.

At first, with only an exhaust upgrade, I suffer from ear bleeding cabin drone.

After an air intake upgrade, the drone seems controlled, but still present.

Finally, i decide to swap the current semi-synthetic m. oil im using with a fully synthetic one.

From that on, the drone seems less noticeable. Engine seems more quiter and smooth.

These are my experience guys. Give it a try.

If i could turn back time, i would go for an exhaust that comes with a resonator which will eventually get rid of the drone itself.

I have an injen and love it. Only exhaust I've bought for my car