Juice

Strange High-Pitched Squeak From Engine Bay At Very Low Speeds

10 posts in this topic

hey PL,

I'm having a weird problem with my car. It's a 2010 SE 5spd. A few weeks back I noticed that when driving slow (~5-10km/h) and occasionally (though seldom) when stopped, there is a high pitched squeak/squeal/chirp sound comming from my engine bay. It's very different from a loose belt sound and reminds me more of an electrical motor squeal so I thought it might be my radiator or something else.

I brought my car to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the sound. I even played them a video of it and the tech said he couldn't hear what I was talking about.

Here's a link to the video ... don't mind the first sound as it's me opening my windows, and the last sound are my door locks (which auto-engage at 20km/h).

I've tried popping the hood to listen for it but whenever I do, the sound is gone or barely audible. I did once stop at an intersection and the sound was loud enough that people were looking at me funny. Unfortunately it was downtown Toronto during rush hour so I couldn't exactly jump out of my car and pop the hood. :(

Dealership said there was a small air leak from my headers, which are aftermarket (RRM v2 4-1 headers), but they refused to try replacing the gaskets even though they are the same as OEM header gaskets and he described it as a pssstttt sound and not a squeal. I also had my belt changed as they were checking my pulley (original OEM) for the recall but found no problems with it. The sound level dropped temporarily so the tech couldn't hear it during a drive around, but it came back during my drive home.

I did manage a quick video on my way home from the dealership where the sound is barely noticeable but present. I think it might actually be comming from the headers?

I tried searching PL and evom, as well as youtube, but couldn't find a similar sound/problem. Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Note: I bought the headers used but have had them on for the last 3 years with no issues. Other engine/exhaust mods are motor mounts, SRI and exhaust with resonator.

I can hear the squealing in the first video.

I agree with you when you say that doesn't sound like it would be the pulleys or the belt. But just to double check; first, while the car is running, look at each individual pulley and see if it wobbles. If they all look straight, turn the car off and try to wiggle each one. If one of them wiggles, either replace it, service it, or tighten it and see if the sound goes away.

Let me know what you find

I had a similar sound when the AC was on at and at low speeds. Took it to the dealership and they replaced my alternator, which had a TSB on it. Basically a defective bearing on the alternator pully. After they replaced it, it went away. Ask about that. I made a post about it here before.

I had a similar sound when the AC was on at and at low speeds. Took it to the dealership and they replaced my alternator, which had a TSB on it. Basically a defective bearing on the alternator pully. After they replaced it, it went away. Ask about that. I made a post about it here before.

Boom. That makes a lot more sense than a bad pulley.

Sound is present even when AC is off, but I'll take a look/listen. Belt was just replaced but might as well inspect that too.

Thanks guys! :D

Did you ever get this solved? I have a similar problem in my 2013 CVT. It only makes the sound when going really slow or sitting stopped in park. If I shift from drive to any other position the sound goes away.

Did you ever get this solved? I have a similar problem in my 2013 CVT. It only makes the sound when going really slow or sitting stopped in park. If I shift from drive to any other position the sound goes away.

So I had my Takeda SRI installed right? I had the same exact problem. I took it off yesterday and went back to stock and boom. The noise is gone. Still trying to figure out why my intake would cause a noise like that...

I have this high pitch squeaking sound when i press the accelerator

took it to dealer 3 times and they were unable to find a solution

I also have a 5 speed, I find I have this noise when its cold outside and I hold the clutch a bit on upshift. Someone told me to spray some WD40 on the clutch spring, went away for a while, back again this winter. Might just need to lube that some

I have this high pitch squeaking sound when i press the accelerator

took it to dealer 3 times and they were unable to find a solution

Lol that just sounds like the linkage from the pedal needs to be lubed up :P