Swole

Really Strange Lighting Issues...

13 posts in this topic

I have a 2011 ES. I just got done installing ccfl halos in my headlights. They look awesome. But as I was driving 3 nights ago, I noticed my HID low beam was out on the right side. (My right when I'm in the driver's seat) So naturally I just kept my HID high beams on, but then I noticed the high beam was out as well.. When I got home I checked every bulb and harness, there was nothing wrong. I had thought maybe both bulbs had just burned out somehow... But then last night, I was informed by a coworker that BOTH brake lights on my right side are out. The weird thing is, the running ccfl lights, the turn signals, and both taillights are fully functional,but the high beam, low beam, and the two right side brake lights are all out. I am clueless as to what could've caused this. Did I miss something? Did something get knocked out somewhere? If anyone has experienced this before or knows what I should look for, please let me know.

check your fuses in the fuse box

Sorry didn't mention that. I did check all the fuses. Are all the lights on separate fuses though? Every fuse for the lights that I checked with a fuse tester worked. I'd find it weird for multiple fuses to go out at the same time but only on one side, you know?

Edit: Grammar... 😁

how did you wire those halos? sorry, from this point on, i may not be much of a help anymore as i'm not very familiar with electricals. but if you let us know how you wired it up will help someone else here determine what could have gone wrong.

What kind of wattage do the ccfl ballasts draw? Unplug the ccfl ballasts and see I that changes anything. I suspect the problem is that some how.

As for the headlights I'm not sure. Well try to fix one problem at a time

Etacs unit

So the ccfls are simply being run through the always on lights (the little amber lights in the headlights). What I did was I took the bulbs out, and I stuck the positive and negative wires inside of the harness for that light so that they turn on when the always on lights would come on. Its really legit, I love it! Looks cool when I unlock the car and they turn on :) It's just weird because both halos work but on the right side everything (but taillights) is just out. Tried unplugging both halos and still no dice...

I forget the wattage. Its not a whole lot, I'll get back to you on that fastcar.

Shayes: etacs unit?

alright. if the halos still work but the tail lights don't even when the halos are unplugged, then we know that the left side circuit is getting power. the tail lights and that park lights are wired together but the left side is isolated from the right side. with that being said, check the tail light bulbs themselves. its possible that the initial firing up of the CCFL ballasts damaged the circuit.

Alright so fuses have been checked, relays are working.

Check the plug for that side headlight, where it plugs into the factory harness. unplug that whole thing and see if you can get the tail light running.

Also the ETACS unit is the computer that controls virtually all electrical devices on the car (excluding engine and transmission)

Thanks fastcar for all the info. I'm going to run some tests with various things unplugged in different combinations. I'll get back to you guys asap.

I believe it's located behind the glove box. Saw a car the other day with the same issue and it has a faulty etacs unit

Oh right. I know about that thing. But, how does one determine if it is faulty? Everything other than those lights in-particular seems completely fine.

So, tested if the brake lights worked with both headlights unplugged completely.. Still nothing. Two on the left are on and the two on the right are off. This isn't making any sense at all. I located the etacs but I have no idea what to do with or or how to check anything

So here's the update... First off, I suck. So I have hid high and low beams. I accidently plugged them into each other's harnesses, which is why neither of them were working. In turn, I think that it shorted out some wires (the brake lights) they both spark when I remove the bulbs and put them back in, but the light doesn't stay on . I think that's what's happening.. I might be off, but when I switched the low and high beam harnesses after I realized they were wrong, the low beam now works. The high doesn't... Idk. Seems like I just blew some stuff. How should I go about fixing this?