592_Dreamz

Help With Heat Shield Build

11 posts in this topic

Looking to make a Heat Shield for my intake (DIY). I find "cold air" intake in pulling in too much hot air from the engine bay. I want to build a shield around it and I have a pretty good idea how to do it. I am looking to keep the stock air flow inlet and add a small pvc flexible pipe from the bottom corner of the DIY heat shield to allow more cool air to the Aftermarket intake (if that makes sense to you guys). However, i am wondering if anyone here has already done this and have any good tips or tricks or even a link to their DIY. This would be helpful, much appreciated and would make the job a bit easier.

Here is a random picture i found online with the same intake system as mine with out a heat shield. As you see the intake is not far from the exhaust manifold and it pulling in a lot of heat. post-8895-0-44471800-1432964277_thumb.jp

what you have is a "short ram" intake. there are "cold air" intakes out there that have longer routed piping that has the filter farther away from manifold.

If I remember correctly,our cold air intakes sit by the front bumper somewhere. The one you posted is a short ram intake. Some short ram intakes come with a heat shield, which goes in place where the stock air box was.

cold air intakes draw air from outside, short ram intakes draw from inside the engine bay (such as that picture) and it absolutely makes sense to add a heat shield.

What material are you planning on using for the shield?

That's why I bought the KN Typhoon because it came with a heat shield. You can look online and see what one of their heat shields look like and try to fabricate one yourself, I would almost think using aluminum but I'm not exactly educated in Metals and Heat Dissipation. I know that if you were to go aluminum it would be light but not exactly sure on how strong it would be or efficient for that matter. You could possibly try using sheet metal and bend it and weld it to your liking, but once again not sure how well it would work.

I'm trying to come up with an idea for you instead of just saying that you have and SRI instead of a CAI.

Also not exactly sure how you have your setup. You said the picture you posted came from online that you found. I've known people who have cut just above their MAF sensor, removed the stock air box and put a pod filter on the end of it, wouldn't have the same support as an actual designed one but still along the same idea.

Not really sure on what you should do or how you should do it but I hope this helps a little bit if any at all.

Good Luck

The Takeda intake comes with one as well.

I bought the car with the short arm and I dont really want to spend on an actual cold air intake system. So i plan on building the heat shield. I plan on building it out of sheet metal and insulating in on the inside because the metal will heat up eventually. The previous owner left the factory plastic part that allows cool air in (Thank God he did and it looks just like the picture i posted) but i also plan on keeping making a 2 inch hole in the heat shield that lean a flexible pipe from the shield to outside to bring in more cool air.

I bought the car with the short arm and I dont really want to spend on an actual cold air intake system. So i plan on building the heat shield. I plan on building it out of sheet metal and insulating in on the inside because the metal will heat up eventually. The previous owner left the factory plastic part that allows cool air in (Thank God he did and it looks just like the picture i posted) but i also plan on keeping making a 2 inch hole in the heat shield that lean a flexible pipe from the shield to outside to bring in more cool air.

What are you going to insulate it with?

So I'd go to michaels and buy a couple sheets of paperboard from the framing section. Some blue tape would be good too.

My thoughts start as a 5 sided box with the hood as a lid. (It'll make for easy inspection and maintenance.) Subtracting clearance for the STB and angle in front to mate to the intake duct as a rough object.

For construction, I'd use aluminum sheet, with Therma-Flec on the exterior and interior bonded with plasti-dip.

Weather stripping should provide a decent seal against the hood, so the hood mating surface should have a lip on it wide enough to support the seal, and shaped to the hood.

As a less overkill alternative, I'd get an OEM air box & filter, and gut the thing.

With the spare materials, you could make a ramp and open up the front cover. A RA duct would finish that off nicely. Someone used to sell a formed elbow for the front of the intake duct. Probably unnecessary, but it would finish it off nicely.

So that's how I'd do it.

So I'd go to michaels and buy a couple sheets of paperboard from the framing section. Some blue tape would be good too.

My thoughts start as a 5 sided box with the hood as a lid. (It'll make for easy inspection and maintenance.) Subtracting clearance for the STB and angle in front to mate to the intake duct as a rough object.

For construction, I'd use aluminum sheet, with Therma-Flec on the exterior and interior bonded with plasti-dip.

Weather stripping should provide a decent seal against the hood, so the hood mating surface should have a lip on it wide enough to support the seal, and shaped to the hood.

As a less overkill alternative, I'd get an OEM air box & filter, and gut the thing.

With the spare materials, you could make a ramp and open up the front cover. A RA duct would finish that off nicely. Someone used to sell a formed elbow for the front of the intake duct. Probably unnecessary, but it would finish it off nicely.

So that's how I'd do it.

Awesome tips. thanks