MrMiller

How To Tell Whether A Turbo Is Installed From The Sound?

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

How do you tell whether the car around you has a turbo installed when you are queuing for the traffic light?

What's the noise difference between a loud intake-exhaust-mod and a real turbo?

Thanks. :laughing:

Every car with a turbo has a system, not just a turbo thrown on. You can tell by listening for boost, it's a distinctive sound. look it up :)

Every car with a turbo has a system, not just a turbo thrown on. You can tell by listening for boost, it's a distinctive sound. look it up :)

Hmmmm... Any video with comparison?

Well, the point that I'm asking this question is:

I've been thinking about modifying intake and exhaust, but I've been told there will only be a little improvement. However, I still don't have an idea how the improvement can be...

I saw another car today - obviously with exhaust mods. Its acceleration looks better than my car (no performance upgrade at all) after we drove a few same streets. Then, I was queuing for the traffic light right behind this car. I expected this car to accelerate quickly while leaving the intersection, so I started like a beast... Unfortunately, this car initiated like a man but then turn to be so normal when the driver noticed my starting up...

So, there are two possibilities: 1. the driver only got a loud exhaust and got scared. 2. the driver was driving aggressively with a turbo system, but had no interest in 'fighting' with my normal lancer...

I'd like to take it as possibility 2, since I'm still thinking about getting my intake and exhaust upgraded... However, I'll be truly disappointed if the situation was possibility 1... Then, I'd maybe save the money for some other exterior mods.

How do you think? :band:

really tho... just mod to your liking.

I don't really understand what you're asking. But yeah, DW about what other people think, mod how you want it, because it's your car after all :D

I don't think the turbo itself makes any distinctive noise. But boost and BOV's do

really tho... just mod to your liking.

Yeah! That's it. Sounds good. :laughing:

I don't really understand what you're asking. But yeah, DW about what other people think, mod how you want it, because it's your car after all :D

I don't think the turbo itself makes any distinctive noise. But boost and BOV's do

LOL. I was trying to see whether a intake-exhaust-only-upgraded car can have some noticeable difference. :P

Well, I figured something from your video: There is always a rushing air sound when a turbo car shits gears. By 'rushing air', I mean the sound after a gear is shifted which is similar to air leak... Sorry, I really don't know the correct tech words... Is it right to identify a turbo system by noticing such a sound?

Oh you gon' learn today!

That sound you are hearing after the shift is the Blow off valve (BOV). It's releasing boost (highly compressed air created by the turbo) that is still in the system. As a boosted car drives past you, you can hear the boost circulating or if you're lucky you can hear the turbo spooling all that boost ;)

This guy explains it really well:

If you're still interested, watch his other turbo videos. You'll understand so much more :P

Oh you gon' learn today!

That sound you are hearing after the shift is the Blow off valve (BOV). It's releasing boost (highly compressed air created by the turbo) that is still in the system. As a boosted car drives past you, you can hear the boost circulating or if you're lucky you can hear the turbo spooling all that boost ;)

This guy explains it really well:

If you're still interested, watch his other turbo videos. You'll understand so much more :P

Ah-ha! That makes more sense now. The other car yesterday should have no turbo system then.

Thanks a lot! Happy learning today. :thumbsup:

A RA duct is larger and not resonated and will give a much more noticeable intake sound. Cam timing adjustments can also have a significant impact on sound as well.

A RA duct is larger and not resonated and will give a much more noticeable intake sound. Cam timing adjustments can also have a significant impact on sound as well.

Cool. Thanks for that! :laughing:

So wish I could install just a blow off valve on my car lol just to mimic this sound and make me feel like a bad ass till I get my turbo installed haha so love this

Here, just your thing.

Mod to mod...dont throw fake stuff on your car. A beautiful NA car is as respectable as having a boosted car. Dont become a RICER... Please do not fake your car...

It takes time guys to upgrade your car. Intake and exhaust is a little hp but you need that extra power when you ready to throw a turbo on it. Yea getting fake stuff is not cool just makes you look like fool. Yea if you like sound they have cold air intakes. Bigger pipe on exhaust system and turbo that has a blow of valve.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk