MrMiller

Starting With Led Strips

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting some LED strips installed inside my front bumper grill and around the front two seats. I've seen some videos on youtube that people needed to bond/twist the LED cables to an existing one... Is there any kind of LED strip that can be plugged in and work directly? I have no idea how the electrical stuff works, so I'm trying to figure out a really easy solution.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there a plug in kind of LED strips? Do you have a ebay link to suggest? Maybe installation video as well?

2. Which kind of LED strips have multiple colours? What's it called? Any suggested brand?

Thanks. :)

last time I bought some from the autoparts store, they had some that plugged right into the cigarette lighter

last time I bought some from the autoparts store, they had some that plugged right into the cigarette lighter

Sound easy enough. So, just stick the bulbs, hide the wires, plug into the cigarette lighter and have fun? LOL

Does this solution uses more electricity than those methods I saw in the videos?

No I would doubt that it uses more. if anything I would think it uses less. Either way, theyre leds. The power difference is negligible.

Really with something like that you shouldn't need to worry at all about power consumption.

even with an intense setup like Ive got, I would think it only uses 3watts at full power

I have a set from Autozone and its pretty good quality :)

What I do is, buy a toggle switch from Walmart like $.50. Run both + and - wires from the lights to the switch.

Run a separate set of wires, - to a ground and + to a constant 12v wire. Run those wires 2 the switch.

BAM! All finished.

Helps for a clean setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set from Autozone and its pretty good quality :)

Thanks, but I'm in Australia... I just had a look at Autozone. It doesn't seem to have international post...

Their ebay store even may not ship to aus... Did you get one of below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Automotive-10-in-LED-flexi-light-strip-CZ-180W-/251806190472?vxp=mtr&hash=item3aa0d18b88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Automotive-LED-light-bar-CZ-152B-/271677408149?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f413c4395

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Automotive-Blue-LED-step-lights-CZ-156B-/271677545870?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f413e5d8e

What I do is, buy a toggle switch from Walmart like $.50. Run both + and - wires from the lights to the switch.

Run a separate set of wires, - to a ground and + to a constant 12v wire. Run those wires 2 the switch.

BAM! All finished.

Helps for a clean setup.

Thanks, but I've no idea how to do the + and - wires... LOL I guess I'll try to find the cigarette lighter kind of product first. :fun:

No I would doubt that it uses more. if anything I would think it uses less. Either way, theyre leds. The power difference is negligible.

Really with something like that you shouldn't need to worry at all about power consumption.

even with an intense setup like Ive got, I would think it only uses 3watts at full power

Does the cigarette lighting provide electricity constantly on the same level or depends on the device that sucks the the electricity? It sounds like to me that led lights will suck much less power than an iphone?

Does the cigarette lighting provide electricity constantly on the same level or depends on the device that sucks the the electricity? It sounds like to me that led lights will suck much less power than an iphone?

The cigarette lighter will output 12V regardless of load. Even when nothing is in there, theres still 12V running

BAM! All finished.

Helps for a clean setup.

That's the way that I have mine ran right now actually. It's a much cleaner setup. I got a 6 way toggle switch hidden in my glovebox for my 4 blue led light strips on the inside of the car. I'm only using two of the toggles out of the six and I also have my two front led's wired into toggle one and my back two led's wired into toggle two. Hit two switches, well buttons actually, and Voila! blue lights fill you and your passenger's feet in the front and the back.

Sound easy enough. So, just stick the bulbs, hide the wires, plug into the cigarette lighter and have fun? LOL

If you can't do the way mentioned by opTic_Ace then this like you said would be your best bet. I used to run my LED's like that in my previous vehicles but eventually graduated to the hardwire to the battery. You can buy LED's from Wal-Mart, Meijer, AdvanceAutoZone, etc etc. A lot of them come with the option of running the 12volt cigarette lighter plugin or just cut the plugin and run hardwired. Just make sure to read the package. It will let you know if it comes with a 12volt cigarette adapter which is already usually installed. Just plug and play and hide the wires.

That's the way that I have mine ran right now actually. It's a much cleaner setup. I got a 6 way toggle switch hidden in my glovebox for my 4 blue led light strips on the inside of the car. I'm only using two of the toggles out of the six and I also have my two front led's wired into toggle one and my back two led's wired into toggle two. Hit two switches, well buttons actually, and Voila! blue lights fill you and your passenger's feet in the front and the back.

If you can't do the way mentioned by opTic_Ace then this like you said would be your best bet. I used to run my LED's like that in my previous vehicles but eventually graduated to the hardwire to the battery. You can buy LED's from Wal-Mart, Meijer, AdvanceAutoZone, etc etc. A lot of them come with the option of running the 12volt cigarette lighter plugin or just cut the plugin and run hardwired. Just make sure to read the package. It will let you know if it comes with a 12volt cigarette adapter which is already usually installed. Just plug and play and hide the wires.

Your best bet to find the cigarette adapter that's already installed on the LEDs is Walmart. Around $10-$12 I believe.

BAM! All finished.

Helps for a clean setup.

Bringing this topic back from the dead. You said run the switch to a constant 12v source, what wires would you look at for that? I'm thinking just take out the stupid cigarette lighter then just attach the + end of the switch to the + of the cigarette lighter and it should already be grounded and walla, you have a constant 12v source. Am I crazy or is that an option?

You can do that but make sure you run other wires 2 a switch so your lights isn't always on

Bringing this topic back from the dead. You said run the switch to a constant 12v source, what wires would you look at for that? I'm thinking just take out the stupid cigarette lighter then just attach the + end of the switch to the + of the cigarette lighter and it should already be grounded and walla, you have a constant 12v source. Am I crazy or is that an option?

If the switch has 2 contacts:

12V+ from the cig lighter -> switch

other switch contact -> pos lead of LEDs

neg lead of LEDs -> frame ground

If the switch has an indicator light built in it will have 3 contacts:

12V+ from the cig lighter -> switch

switch accessory contact -> pos lead of LEDs

switch neg contact -> frame ground

neg lead of LEDs -> frame ground

On June 2, 2015 at 11:17 PM, fastcar123 said:

Yes, Auto zone has several like that under $30. On one of them you can even change color 

they have an addon as well that you can plug up to 4 strips into a hub, then run power to the hub. the hub is remote controlled and you can have all on or any combination of the 4 at any time.