Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metapraxis

2010 Lancer Es/rx Door Lock Problem

3 posts in this topic

Hi All, Looking for some advice regarding my wife's 2010 Lancer, which has a door lock issue. The car was Australian delivered and is essentially an ES, but is badged as an "RX", which means it got a bit of bodykit and some alloy wheels (but I don't think there are any material difference to the ES. It doesn't have a smart key or anything like that).

When I shipped it over to NZ a couple of years back, it arrived with a non-functional physical key lock in the door. The compliance guys in NZ like pulling cars to bits and breaking them, so it may have been damaged as part of this process (I had to pay to replace a damper that I know was not faulty -- and I didn't get a receipt for the work, which almost certainly wasn't actually done... but that is another story!).

Anyway, the doors lock and unlock with the remote and via the internal lock/door handle. The lock on the door, however, does nothing. There is no obvious resistance when turning the key (albeit I can't remember if there ever was). I'm keen to rectify the problem as the car is going to be a problem if I get a flat battery (and it has gotten pretty cold (-`12C) here a couple of times just recently, so there is a likelihood of that).

Any advice welcome. I've looked on Youtube, and it appears that the interior door trim is fairly easy to remove. However, I can't find any diagrams that show me what I'll find in terms of the lock (I assume there is a manual cable that attaches to the lock barrel, as well as some electrical cables for the central locking?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm pretty sure the lancer still uses the rods inside the door that move the lock. It sounds to me like those rods have come undone some how. You'll need the take the door apart all the way down to the crash bar. You'll likely see your problem then

Pulled the door trim off and could immediately see that the flattened end of the rod that comes out of the lock barrel was not engaged into the white plastic clip on the actuator rod. No way it came off on its own (actually impossible to come off in-situ), so must have been the compliance guys. The fix was to remove the little rubber grommet on the edge of the door (level with the lock barrel) to reveal a T30 Torx screw, I undid this (but didn't remove - I suspect it can fall into the door and you would be stuffed). I pushed out the lock barrel (including the little bit of body coloured trim) and then put it back in such that the prong on the end was correctly engaged with the rod. 10 minute job, but I expect a dealer would have managed to charge me a couple of hundred bucks!