Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thrived

2009 Lancer Gts Cvt

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking in to purchasing my first car. It's a 2009 Lancer GTS with 96k miles on it. He's asking 8.8k and it seems like a fair price on KBB too. I've test driven the car and from what it drove like, it felt like it was taken good care of.

What should I be concerned of? and is there anything I should be looking specifically for? I've read up a ton about the CVT transmission going bad with these models and the cost for replacing them doesn't seem cheap at all. I've been seeing numbers ranging from 2k to 4k for a transmission replacement.

Can I get some opinions? :)

IMO 8.8k is pushing it for a high mileage 2009. Even though Mitsubishi has barely changed anything at all from the 2008 model up to 2015 thus far, If I were to reference my area I can sometimes find see newer year GTS' going for 7k-8k with less mileage.

The CVT should be the issue of most concern. It's a whiny transmission in general but if you hear it being excessively whiny like this then you should def be wary.

Did you notice any sort of loud whine when you test drove it?

You probably know all this but checking history is the best thing you can do before buying a used car.

As usual check for leaks of any sort when you go test it out. Ask for the oil change intervals, CVT fluid change histories, etc.

Find out everything you can and you'll always be able to make a better decision from there.

I'd say if you're looking at a used lancer, a CVT tranny would be acceptable with low mileage, if it was high mileage i'd feel more at ease if it was the 5-speed tranny.

Hope I helped !

check out for noises, check the tranny oil and engine oil to see its color also.

the changes must be done smooth by the car itself (you dont have to hear any noise on the tranny while it changes gears from the inside of the car i mean)

if the guy have records ask him when if the next oil change etc. that tranny should already have an oil change done.

i have a 2010 GTS and i am selling it for 8K (8.5 with the Navi in it) and mine has 70K miles on it.

i use it for daily drive but looking to change it for a pick up truck or a ralliart/evo (depending on the budget)

regards,

G.

Sweet! Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

I'm looking at this car here specifically. Like mentioned above, my main concern is the tranny breaking down on me. The guy said he had all of his service records on hand. Would that show when he had an oil change done, and what type of oil was used? I'm assuming to maintain the transmission only a certain type of oil should be used and every so often?

When I first test drove the car I was too focused on just simply driving. It's my first car so I think I was more excited and into the actual drive than paying attention to the noises. I'm going to venture back and ask to test drive it again and listen this time. Is there anything else I should be worried about?

What color would be alarming if I were to check the transmission/engine oil?

Thanks again for both of your responses.

Maybe test ride a newish Lancer GT and then you can have better sense of the difference with the one your looking for purchasing.