trancedrift

My Lancer Race Toy

155 posts in this topic

Half the joy from racing is posting the youtube videos after that.. right, of course not, but I will introduce my car here as well :)

It all started 3 years ago after I bought an used 2008 Lancer to commute to work, still totally detached from the whole car scene. But after I started driving the car daily it all started to change very quickly. I couldn't help it but notice that the thing simply had potential to be much more, missed alot but had the potential. So it all began after I found out the 9glancer forum and met the right people there. My Lancer literally evolved to the little race toy it is today, not a dail drive anymore but quite a fun weekend warrior.

The engine:

1.8 liter 4B10 (4B11 with other pistons and rods) base

Upgraded timing chain with 2011 Evo X model

1.3 mm Cosworth Evo X Head gasket

ARP Evo X head studs

4B11T Evo X camshafts with BC valve springs (spring on the install waiting list)

4B11T Evo X 560 cc injectors and Evo X fuel pump

NGK BKR8EIX ( I will downgrading to 7's soon, 8 is an overkill on less than 1 bar apps)

AEM RA intake to fit the RA TD04 turbo (manifold, downpipe and elbow from RA)

Evo X intercooler with custom UICP and RA LICP

4G69 Throttle body

Evo X GSR ECU custom tuned by me, DTC free, all extra sensors and stuff added

16 row oil cooler with active cooling

Synapse BOV

PCV delete and oil catch can

Torque Solution front engine mount 75A version

Evo X full exhaust with Ultimare Racing high flow cat

Only HKS or Motul oil goes in the engine with regular oil analyses

This is a Virtual dyno run (red one) after last retune (calibration + fuel + 3BAR maps tune, instead of the old Fuel map only tune). Blow is the actual Superflow dyno run from the older fuel map only tune.

latestvsdynorun3wow_zps4e8283fb.jpg

Dyno-engine_zpsb728e81a.jpg

Suspension and Brakes:

Tein Street Flex (9/7 kg/mm)

Cusco strut bar (rear), stock strut bar (front)

Cusco lower control arm brace

Front camber is around -1 to -1.5, rear around -1.5 to -2

The rest is left with stock configuration mostly because of the limitations of the stock setup to take any different suspension tuning

Current brakes are Ralliart calipers with Carbotech XP8 blocks, steelbraided lines and ATE typ200 fluid

In a week or three a full Big Brake kit will be installed along with Evo X master brake cilinder and back to the good old Motul RBF600

Ceika front 6-pot 330x32 full floating slotted

Ceika rear 4-pot 330x28 semi floating slotted

Semislick use varies with the track, I use:

Toyo R888 (TW 100) for soft

Nankang NS-2R (TW 120) for medium

Hankook RS-3 (TW 200) for hard

racetracker_1051150_15279small_zps8qa3jf

_DSC0549edit_zps8gmil2ep.jpg

_DSC0646edit_zpsj8c74ie4.jpg

Grotefoto-YNUAM4ND_zpshgxjw6ys.jpg

2400_5D3_2656-2_zpsi5mzd1xr.jpg

That ass :)

5D3_2251_zpsjxpbfg6z.jpg

I do track days on several European race tracks:

Zandvoort Circuit Park

https://youtu.be/HaYGPdrLeBk

TT Assen

https://youtu.be/JM7DGGWVMyY

Zolder

https://youtu.be/wrt4OXlE2NY

Nurburgring: (my first time was just last weekend, still getting used to the track)

https://youtu.be/wIYOXPuEfWU

I generally lack traction and not power because of the FWD, so differential update is high on my wish list. But well, I am still faster than most stock Evo's :) so the level of fun is good.

Awesome dude! Car is sick!

Welcome to project lancer. I must sa, you've done a damn good job of Turing the lancer into an actual race car

Nah, it isn't a real race car, hp to weight ratio is not enough for that, but it is still a fun thing. I can only touch the times for the base category for time attack around here.

Love the car we meet soon when the bbk is installed

I have to say, this build is outstanding.

So I had to find out the obvious - 18x9.5 with 245/40/R18 tires looks damn amazing but rubs quite a lot in the rear. I have the rear fender slightly rolled but they will need to get completly flat and maybe some pull will be required to fit those tire.. but it looks too good to let it go :)

20150816_1506002_zpsaekv0g3r.jpg

20150816_150733-2_zpsdjywnm4r.jpg

The Ceika BBK for ES brake trim Lancer installed, looks very good, and stops amazing. I have racing pads so they are old school metallic racing compound - they squeal very bad, but man, how they stop. The Ralliart brakes were already very good for the FWD Lancer weight but the stopping power difference with these is massive.

I will write a full review after my first track day with these. In terms of ordering process there were some hick ups - I ordered full floating disks but due to their own error they got the order wrong and send me only semi floating - not big drama, got refunded but the car is being almost only used for racing so it would have been nice.

Front big 6-pot on 330x32mm semi floating disks ( I didn't go with 356mm disks as I wanted to be able to mount 17 inch wheels as well, most semi slicks are twice as cheap in 17 inch)

Front%20-%20no%20wheel_zpsks6fflos.jpg

Rear 4 pot on 330x28 on semi floating disks

Rear%20-%20no%20wheel_zpsxldpbdjq.jpg

Behind the 18x9.5 Rota DPT wheels

Front%20-%20with%20wheel_zpshlslnfb7.jpg

Rear%20-%20with%20wheel_zpste9iabd5.jpg

Full%20-%20right%20side_zpsjurjfupn.jpg

Full%20-%20left%20side_zps9svu0mud.jpg

Oh yeah, and I did change the RA intercooler with an Evo X one, like twice the size. I don't really notice any increased spool time, if anything it is increased by miliseconds. I have to say that the Synchronic BOV actaully started working better with the larger intake volume discharging now perfectly on time.

In fact after I put the 245/40 tires and with boost now around 1 bar, the stock clutch finally gave in, started slipping, just like that one day, after a stupid 3rd gear burnout, or more like right in middle of it :):rolleyes: I have to say it was probably always slipping a little bit but it was never an issue. It is now much more noticeably slipping with any kind of attempt to do a hard launch, but still ok for normal WOT acceleration... most of the time. It is slipping but still not too much. Next big mod is a Clutch masters clutch + Cusco LSD :)

20150816_122544_zpsy2andlgi.jpg

it's so awesome to see someone using a lancer as you do. it's great to watch you build upon it. about how much were the brakes and where did you order from?

Directly from Ceika (manufactured and shipped from Taiwan, orders are handled from France), front kit was 1600 and rear was 1400 without shipping, including steel lines, race pads, stainless steel pistons and rear drum insets to keep the stock parking brakes. Actually the front was less, like 1450 because they refunded the difference for the disks. It is quite some cash to drop at once but a similar kit from another company can cost as much as double that. In fact I chose it over an used Evo 5-9 Brmbo kit because in the end after getting all the required disks, pads, custom supports and lines the final amount was only slightly less, like 200-300 less and that for a used calipers with unknown condition... And I had to do this as last year only I dropped like 1500 on upgrading my brakes, piece by piece, and changing pads and disks like after every track day. It just wasn't working out for my application, I needed something complete and serious. And track days are way too addictive, more than a hobby :)

i want to go to a track day so badly. while i dont have many modifications at all i feel it would be fun just to see what my car is capable of. (and of course get some awesome action shots!!!) however my area only has a couple of tracks, neither of which host track days to my knowledge. seems like it's a lot of fun! cant wait to see what you do next

I don't know but if you ever go on vacation in Europe, just go to Nurburgring, rent one of the track cars there are, and and you will have the probably the most fun in years :) But you need to have some track experience first, even with the Lancer, a 09 GTS is quite capable even without mods, the CY4- chassis is amazing with corners, just learn to modulate the gas good to avoid understeer and induce some lift off oversteer and you will be amazed at what corner speeds the car is capable of.

The first time on the track I was quite nervous, lots of fast cars even in the lower class I participated. Many of them even not road legal, pure track day cars. From all the adrenaline I was stressing that I will be laughing material on the track :D and when we actually started... omg, I realized I had to learn to overtake slower cars quickly because this is what I was going to be doing most :D :D Haven't had so much rewarding adrenaline fun since I did rock climbing :) I was hooked immediately. The moments when you finally get the brake point and race line perfectly - priceless :)

surprisingly enough my gts is capable of beating a lot of cars in my area (not that i do anything illegal ;) nor are they the best cars) so i can only imagine the fun i'd have on the track. not to mention if i were to turbo it. how do you feel you compare to a stock evo???

Probably faster on a straight line than stock Evo, same speeds in the corner, but much less out of the corners. In terms of lap times I am faster than stock Evo 7-9, not faster than the older lighter Evo's, and 10s corner just as fast. But of course any modifications on the Evo and it becomes beter, and there are not many unmodified Evo's out there :) I am not really comparing myself to Evo's anyways, I prefer outher FWD cars, feels like a beter match. Focus ST, Megane RS, Golf GTI

Trancedrift not to be a big pain in that ass,but would it be possible for you to show all of your suspension add ones.

Not that many really , if you don't count brakes in.

OEM Front strut bar: (old photo, now I have a different bov)

20150314_141852_zpstaovupbg.jpg

Don't have many pictures of these installed so here they are right before the install - Rear strut bar from Cusco, Lower control arm brace from Cusco, Street Flex coil overs from Tein

20150127_230432_zpsjggnctno.jpg

This is a nice one - how the brace saved my gearbox from kissing the curbs on Nurburgriing.

20150816_131049_zpshi9d9ick.jpg

Thicker sway bar links and new tie rods are waiting to be installed. I have considered going several mm up on the sway bar thickness however I'd rather have a little bit more understeer than randomly lift one wheel in the air and suffer from snap oversteer in heavy fwd car. But a thicker sway bar link is already a good start as the oem ones are hardly able to hold even the oem sway bars without violently twisting.

Thanks so much. Your car turns in very flat.That triangular brace is what I've been interested in. I've been back-and-forth with the rear sway bar as the 2012 to present lancer gt are installed with smaller mm rear bars. I've had issues with another manufacturers FWD car that I installed a larger bar and had the rear trying to pass the front in a sharp right turn.

Well suspension tuning is damn complicated, and I am still too green in it :)

It is not just the initial roll resistance that matters to maintain good corner speeds - many race track corners are complex combinations of several turns. It is very important that the car remains very stable on quick direction shifts, that the weight transfer is quick but stable.

I try to play with the coil over settings to achieve this - usually the back is slightly softer setting on the shocks (a couple of clicks less) but I have more preload on springs in the rear to help the sway bar work better (less droop, more bump travel). My idea is to keep the back stable but not bouncy, I want it to get quickly in the desired position and be able to maintain it, while the front suspension should allow more movement so that the tires remain in good contact with the road. However the general geometry of the front should remain spot on, that brace is amazing in this sense, it has the same effect as changing all the rubbers to polyurethane ones.

I am really looking forward to putting some semi-slicks on the new 18x9.5 wheels as the car has more bump steer now but feels really planted on the road, just the summer tires give in too early and ruin the experience.

Finally out of the stealth scene - as the Lancer is not daily anymore I decided to get some free flowing muffler. Just 0.8 bar (11.6 psi) this time as I was testing some new stuff on the tune, also just put some fresh bkr7eix spark plugs on, seems to work quite well and the boost is more than stable, it is like completely flat line. So more boost soon, probably 0.9 bars (13 psi) this time.

https://youtu.be/Yhi0_NJ9We4

Dual camera lap op Nuburgring Nordschleife track, a lot traffic and accidents, and ABS wasn't working so I had to brake way too early

https://youtu.be/YLkqSAx1yx8

Great project. nice to see a base lancer ripping on the tracks. :guitar:

So, I just found out why the Lancer handled so good even when it was stock - original swaybar that I have on it are 21 mm front and 20 mm rear. Especially the rear size is quite impressive, I think they put the 20mm only in 2008 and on the GTS trim alikes around the world. 2009+ models are 18mm as maximum, which in the world of swaybars is A LOT less, like 50% more understeer setup.