fastcar123

Rumbling Wheel Noise

22 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I've got an issue.

I have this rumbling coming from the front of my car. I does get louder as I speed up, but it doesn't change pitch much. The only time there is a minor change in pitch is when I am turning at high speeds. Its very loud. so loud that I need to talk over it.

Here's what I know.

-I have 3 tires that match and one that doesn't.

-The noise seems to be coming from the front

-It is at it highest volume at 40MPH and 60MPH

-The noise is present at all speeds but at different volumes

Here is what I've tried.

-Tire rotation (had the nonmatching tire on both the front and the rear)

-checked the breaks

-cut off some the damaged wheel well that had been scraping one of the tires.

Ill be getting an alignment done tomorrow to see if that helps, but I don't know if it will.

First step i would say is to re-balance all the wheels. if that doesn't help, it's probably a mechanical issue.

Check hub bearings. Sounds like your problem.

I agree. It doesn't sound like a balance issue because it didn't change when you rotated your wheels. Sounds like bad bearing. Is it more noticeable when you turn a certain direction?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree. It doesn't sound like a balance issue because it didn't change when you rotated your wheels. Sounds like bad bearing. Is it more noticeable when you turn a certain direction?

its a bit more noticeable when I turn a little going at high speeds. How would I go about checking the wheel bearing?

You can jack up the car and grab the wheel top and bottom and try to rock it back and forth. If there is a decent amount of play, it could be your bearing. You may have to try this on each front wheel. Also you can put it in neutral while jacked up (ensure your parking brake is on) and spin each wheel by hand and listen for that noise. Hope this helps!

You can jack up the car and grab the wheel top and bottom and try to rock it back and forth. If there is a decent amount of play, it could be your bearing. You may have to try this on each front wheel. Also you can put it in neutral while jacked up (ensure your parking brake is on) and spin each wheel by hand and listen for that noise. Hope this helps!

thank you. I'm going to try that now

Alright. so it seems that my wheel bearings are fine

No play in the wheels or noise when you spin them?

No play in the wheels or noise when you spin them?

Nope nothing out of the ordinary

Update.

Got new (to me) tires today. They all match and have about 80% life left.

When I got the new tires, I still hear the noise.

I took it to a shop the other day for an alignment and they said the front right wheel bearing is blown out bad. They quoted me $330 to repair it.

Obviously I didnt get them to do it.

I checked on my own time and there is no play in either front wheel. How ever if I jack the car up and put it in D it will make a grinding sound if I accelerate the lifted up wheels. I think it starts around 25 MPH.

I really want this fixed. Can anyone help me out?

I'd say since the noise persists when the wheels are off the ground it most likely isn't a suspension issue, but that's just my guess.

It does sound like a bearing/rotor issue to me.

When the vehicle is in neutral and revved does the sound still happen? If so the issue may be in another part of your drive train.

You could also find a steep hill, put the car in neutral at the top and let her coast down, listening for the noise, that may lead you to a more specific sound source without engine noise

It might be something simple. I recently had a noise in my front as well and it turned out that at higher speeds the wind would bend my loose fender liner and made it rub against my wheel. You would never know cuz when I was stopped the fender liner was in place. Also recently my moms car was making a noise out of the front. Turned out that a little pebble somehow got in behind the rotor guard thing and you couldn't see it when the car was stopped either.

MINE has a good point though, so I would do what he said.

I did that today. I actually shut the engine off all together. Its still there.

I did notice though that when I hit the brakes, the sound changes just slightly. It may be just the added noise from the brakes.

As for the tone it sounds like I have truck tires. It doesn't sound like I have anything rubbing or grinding.

Another this that I thought was weird is, my car is a 2011 model. Isn't it too young to have an issue like a wheel bearing?

I thought it was the fender well myself, because it was freyed and broken. I cut the broken pieces with razor and the noise still persists

That's totally either a wheel bearing or your backing plate is bent. I've seen it at my shop all too many times; the conditions are all too perfect. You can have zero play in the wheel but that's not the only indication it's bad.

That's totally either a wheel bearing or your backing plate is bent. I've seen it at my shop all too many times; the conditions are all too perfect. You can have zero play in the wheel but that's not the only indication it's bad.

What are other signs?

Do you think it could be both? I cant point which side its coming from.

I forgot to mention when I lifted it up, that BOTH sides sounded the same which was the rumbling noise

even though the shop said it was just the front right

I checked on my own time and there is no play in either front wheel. How ever if I jack the car up and put it in D it will make a grinding sound if I accelerate the lifted up wheels. I think it starts around 25 MPH.

I really want this fixed. Can anyone help me out?

A bearing will make exactly that noise. The best way you can confirm that is with a stethoscope. Have someone else accelerate around 45 mph and listen exactly to where the noise is coming from.

What are other signs?

I forgot to mention when I lifted it up, that BOTH sides sounded the same which was the rumbling noise

Indications of a bad wheel bearing:

• Noisy when driving in a straight line and intensify when you're turning.
  • Shake/shimmy in steering wheel, intensifying at higher speeds
  • A high pitched grinding noise when driving. Almost sounds like a continuous squeak

Both wheels or both a bad bearing and backing plate? It's unlikely it's both wheels, but if you have a stethoscope you should check all 4 wheels anyway. They're rather inexpensive.

What are other signs?

Well it all sounds like a bad bearing, how about taking the tire off and playing with the beatings with the weight off? And with the one side messed up it could also play a factor in messing up the other side. It's about weight distribution and having no issues with either side. Or more simply, if one side is bad the other will follow suit because it is out of balance. If you don't trust the shop you took your car to, then I suggest taking it to a more reputable shop and getting their opinion. Imo it really does sound like a bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a bit more noticeable when I turn a little going at high speeds

and a number of other symptoms that you mentioned lead to think it is either wheel bearing or wheel hub issue. Wheel bearing can also suffer from drying out of the grease.

And yes you can destroy a wheel hub also on new car - have you spun you tires hard from still with steering turned a lot? Like taking of from parallel parking position with a lot of wheel spin.

On the positive note - this noise can originate from a number of other very simple and stupid situations like:

- brake pads worn off

- dust cover on the brake disk rusted and touching the disk

- parking brake dragging in the rear

- rust accumulation on the brake disk inside

One extra thing - on open differentials when you lift both wheels and rotate one, the other rotates too - in the opposite direction. Food for thought why you hear noise either side

Well I'm in in no position to say its anything else. I can say the sound is getting worse as it gets colder.

I'm going to go ahead and order the bearing. Looking up on YouTube, it doesn't seem terribly difficult to replace.

Thanks everyone

But seriously did you check your brake pads? The inside ones most importantly, also the surface of the disks?

Yea. They seem normal. No crazy wear and tear.