Drake Nguyen

Help build my lancer

7 posts in this topic

To start off, yes i am new at all this, i am 16 and I gotta start somewhere. I have a 2012 lancer ES. I want it to be my project daily car. I would like to turbocharge it and build it up. I know i have to upgrade many parts before i can turbocharge it but thats why I'm here, I'm not entirely sure where to start, what parts to use, where to buy these said parts, etc. I was wonder if there was anyone out there that has done this before and could guide me? 

Welcome aboard. You can 1st look through the threads here.  I have seen a lot of great threads that are very informative. If you have the CVT, it's probably not the best to turbo charge it.  But take some time and search all the threads. 

Hi dude.... Since it is your only car, first car too, I would first do some basic mods. If you never worked on cars it would be wise not to throw yourself in a project like boosting right away. I also don't know how stable financially but I always recommend having  a cash cushion with enough for a engine replacement (or at least a second car...). Love your enthusiasm, don't get me wrong, if you have the time, space and know how...it's an awesome project. I would just hate for you to have a 10000$ lawn ornament because something went wrong.

Make sure before you start piling money into mods that the car is running well and has had all necessary maintenance completed. Even though the car is only 2012, it's always a good idea to check spark plugs, change oil and filter, change the cabin filter and other little bits - basically making sure that the vehicle is 'mod ready'. These little maintenance jobs will help you get a feel for the car and get some experience doing work on the car. If it's a CVT with 30k plus miles, it's also worth considering to do a CVT oil change - just to get it out of the way, although this can be daunting for some so many leave it to the dealer. 

The aforementioned jobs (bar the CVT oil change) are all relatively cheap to complete and shouldn't really take long. In terms of mods, a Short Ram intake is really easy to install, and while performance gains are disputed in terms of their usefulness, the sound is fantastic and again - it's more experience for you. Throttle body changes aren't especially difficult as it's really easy to access with our cars. In terms of other stuff, lowering springs or coilovers are always worth a mention - springs for looks only, coilovers if you're a little more serious about improving the handling and such. Don't under estimate the value of good tyres and brake pads though - I've got Brembo OE spec pads, and even those are far far better than whatever pads were on it when I bought it (unbranded/very generic), changing tyres to a far better model also made a massive improvement regarding speed carried through corners and sidewall roll in corners. 

The key thing above all though is to have fun with it. As has been mentioned, it's your car for you to have ideas about and make decisions on. Don't let yourself be too guided by the other cars you see on here or what people tell you is or is not acceptable - if you like the idea of something - do it! You'll make mistakes - I guarantee it - but let yourself learn from them, and make you a more competent individual. I've loved every minute with mine - learning about mods, finding parts, becoming an agent for Rainbow Pen (who I have no doubt you will come across soon) - and I've begun to really, really like my car simply for how much my life has changed since I bought it. 

14 hours ago, T-Flash said:

Hi dude.... Since it is your only car, first car too, I would first do some basic mods. If you never worked on cars it would be wise not to throw yourself in a project like boosting right away. I also don't know how stable financially but I always recommend having  a cash cushion with enough for a engine replacement (or at least a second car...). Love your enthusiasm, don't get me wrong, if you have the time, space and know how...it's an awesome project. I would just hate for you to have a 10000$ lawn ornament because something went wrong.

Thanks, i am very excited and have been waiting to start working on cars since i was a tiny lil dude. I definitely won't rush and ruin the whole car

15 hours ago, Drake Nguyen said:

Thanks, i am very excited and have been waiting to start working on cars since i was a tiny lil dude. I definitely won't rush and ruin the whole car

Then, if you really want to go through with it, I would be glad to guide you through it, so would Transferdrift. We both gone through it...

Hey man welcome, I'm 16 as well and I have an 09 lancer gts. Where are you from? It would be fun to hook up some time and help each other out with upgrades and builds. What do you say?