expositor

4B12 cat converter

9 posts in this topic

Hello All,

After six months, I was finally able to buy back my totaled GTS.  The wreckless driver's insurance totaled it as the entire exhaust system took the brunt of the rear-ending, and that OEM exhaust is bloody expensive.  Everything has to be replaced, including the manifold, or so the adjuster's estimate indicated.  Anyway, as many times as I was under that car for oil changes, I don't remember if the cat had any tubing or ports on it, and it appears that no aftermarket vendor has a direct replacement.  Does anyone know if our cat has any of that on it?  The only Lancer cat I've found online is for an ES, and the illustration shows a bung, but no tubes, and no indications if the cat for a 2.0 can be used on a 2.4.  Any recommendations for one?  The prices vary from like $100 to $400 or so, and as I still owed money on the car, I don't have a lot left to work with after the buy-back.  I intend to replace the manifold with CNT headers, which are a shorter length 4-2-1 than the similar OBX headers I originally intended to buy.  I would like those Supercircuit ones, but $900 to be shipped from Singapore...?

So, can anyone help me out?   Many thanks in advance!

Well, if any Lancer owners living in NJ or NY are interested, or encounter a need for an entirely new exhaust, here's what I've discovered.  These two states mandated the CA emissions standards back in 2009, (NJ anyway) so anyone wanting their car to pass inspection needs a carb-compliant cat.  After heading to my Mitsu dealer for the factory exhaust schematic, I found that the required cat has a mid-bed O2 sensor, which only Magnaflow offers in both 2.25" and 2.5" tube sizes.  As I intended to replace the damaged oem manifold with less expensive headers, I decided on CNT 4-2-1's which have a 60mm opening, which I thought would be better hooked up to a 2.5" tube than the slightly smaller 2.25.  That then led me to just going with a complete cat-back 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, though I did originally intend to get a Borla muffler, but that one's size is 2.25.  Flowmaster doesn't appear to offer any cat for Mitsu cars newer than 2006, so that pushed me to go Magnaflow.  The only custom work I need is the head pipe with a bung for the upstream O2 sensor, and the addition of a bung and possibly a bracket for the downstream sensor, so it'll be quite a while yet before this thing get's back on the road.  At least I have either of two 2005 Ralliarts to drive in the meantime, and those 4G69's have more grunt than the 4B12....

I know some of us here have deleted cats, but I don't know if some of those live here in Jersey, and if they do, whether they've had troubles with passing the emissions inspections.  I don't want to have to shell out $100+ for a sticker every two years...who knows, maybe it's more now!

I don't know how to post topics or questions, can you help? Sorry for the unrelated  question 

hit the spce below and away you go!:)

Hey Chris,

I wish I could tell you about the headers, but I still don't have my bloody car back yet.  It turns out that my car is not full CARB spec after all, and of the three sensors I bought, two were incorrect.  The downstream one I don't need, and the front sensor  should be a 48/49 state one with a 40 in. connection wire, so the CA upstream sensor I bought I don't need either.  So, have ordered the correct one twice, as it's apparently (obviously now) hard to get, but hopefully the shop will get it this week from the last place I ordered from.  It's a over a year since my car was hit on Mar 20 last year; Palm Sunday.  We were very lucky that one of our 2005's didn't suffer any valve damage when the timing belt lost about four teeth and jumped time while #3 son was fortunately idling at a traffic light.  So we still have driveable cars...thank the Good Lord!!!

14 hours ago, expositor said:

Hey Chris,

I wish I could tell you about the headers, but I still don't have my bloody car back yet.  It turns out that my car is not full CARB spec after all, and of the three sensors I bought, two were incorrect.  The downstream one I don't need, and the front sensor  should be a 48/49 state one with a 40 in. connection wire, so the CA upstream sensor I bought I don't need either.  So, have ordered the correct one twice, as it's apparently (obviously now) hard to get, but hopefully the shop will get it this week from the last place I ordered from.  It's a over a year since my car was hit on Mar 20 last year; Palm Sunday.  We were very lucky that one of our 2005's didn't suffer any valve damage when the timing belt lost about four teeth and jumped time while #3 son was fortunately idling at a traffic light.  So we still have driveable cars...thank the Good Lord!!!

any links for where you purchased your headers?

I got the CNT headers from LancerShop.com for a very reasonable price.  They have a lot of high quality parts for sale.  Check them out!

Well, finally got the car back, but woke up a couple of days later with a detached retina, which only allows me to drive in the daytime in familiar surroundings.  It sounds good with the headers and full 2.5" exhaust, which may have resulted in greater mileage.  Only time will tell.  As for performance, I sense a difference, but that could just be wishful thinking.  If the only benefit is mileage, then that alone makes the changes worthwhile, as that new full exhaust cost a third of the price of the restrictive stock one, including NTK sensors.  The headers alone were $100+ less than the stock manifold.  The Magnaflow cat and muffler sound nice; not too loud, but a nice mellow sound...to my ears anyway.  I'll post an update on highway performance after I get my eye fixed....