Twylyt

Why'd you turbo your lancer?

18 posts in this topic

So a little back story. I got flamed on another forum for supporting a member who wanted to turbocharge their base lancer. Everyone said "get an evo, get an evo, blah, blah blah". This made me revisit the reason I did it, but I'm now curious why others of you did also. We could have taken our money and bought evos, or ralliarts, or mustangs, or any other car that would have probably given more performance for each dollar so why'd you turbo your lancer?

8 minutes ago, Twylyt said:

So a little back story. I got flamed on another forum for supporting a member who wanted to turbocharge their base lancer. Everyone said "get an evo, get an evo, blah, blah blah". This made me revisit the reason I did it, but I'm now curious why others of you did also. We could have taken our money and bought evos, or ralliarts, or mustangs, or any other car that would have probably given more performance for each dollar so why'd you turbo your lancer?

I haven't turbo'd my Lancer, but I did come very close. I had all the parts listed I'd need to buy, and had priced up the cost of getting the bits done that I wasn't quite capable enough to do. Mine's a CVT so even with a turbo, I'd be capping at about 210HP//190LBFT at the crank. Then I began to realise the fact that, by the time I would have been done money wise, I could have had a Ralliart, and also bridged the gap in the price of insurance for a couple of years. And I'd also get four wheel drive, a far better gearbox, would be able to swap a lot of my parts over onto it, and would have an overall better car. 

Also, having seen some CVT Turbo Lancer feedback, it really was never gonna be worth it. The transmission still can't launch well, and would just end up needing oil changes far more frequently, and would probably not last long even at the capped power and torque. So I still have the Lancer, but I have no intention of turbocharging it anymore. Especially now so because the money I was going to put into turbocharger parts alone might be about to buy me a 1991 GTO. 

Id like to believe that when you buy a base lancer that it is worth spending the money to turbo it. But, in the end that isnt the truth. It'd be expensive and a pain in the ass. It's more worth your money to make it beautiful af and enter in shows for looks because no matter what they're still an overall beautiful looking car. Despite the lack of a turbo though, I can say my car moves pretty fast so there's that(:

1 hour ago, lancerlady said:

Id like to believe that when you buy a base lancer that it is worth spending the money to turbo it. But, in the end that isnt the truth. It'd be expensive and a pain in the ass. It's more worth your money to make it beautiful af and enter in shows for looks because no matter what they're still an overall beautiful looking car. Despite the lack of a turbo though, I can say my car moves pretty fast so there's that(:

Exactly this, probably best to focus on the things that are easier to change, like the looks. 

Well I boosted mine so I can do this :) however I have to say the turbo was just 20% or even less of the cost and work done. But the Lancer is nice platform to work on and learn.

It depends to certain countries, evo x / ralliart sold  there a lot more cheaper then other. So the best choice is the base lancer. Evo x / ralliart parts are getting cheaper and those part or most of the parts are plug n play to base lancer. Cost owning and tuning base lancer are more cheaper then evo x / ralliart. Well it depends to you what the purpose you own / bought a lancer, to become a ricer or racer. :lol:

Well I own a turbo Lancer Di-D (diesel) and it's probably quite a different beast to your USDM models! And even on a standard TDi engine the turbo is a pain in the arse

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I bought the lancer CVT without knowing a thing about cars. through the 6 six i had my car, I have become a car enthusiast (some what), learned alot about cars, knowing and actually changing my own oil and actually I'm confident in working on my own car, weather it be oil changes etc. I even installed paddles and the GTS shifter and none of this would have been possible if it wasnt for 9glancers (RIP) and Projectlancer, as well as the overall aggressiveness of the lancer, that motivated me to inquiry about cars. I've wanted a EVO or Ralli but the prices were way out of my price range. Like every other CVT owner, I gone back and forth between trading my car for a more sportier and faster car like the 350z or FRS but my car is already paid off so why would I trade it for a car note.? Then I went back and forth between doing a turbo on the lancer and realistically its not worth it since the price would easily and ultimately outweigh the output. So now I'm more focused on cosmetic mods vs power, Hell the lancer is still a aggressive looking car but it sucks that the power doesn't come close to matching that style.

On 18/11/2016 at 0:37 PM, Abdul Rahim Zakaria said:

It depends to certain countries, evo x / ralliart sold  there a lot more cheaper then other. So the best choice is the base lancer. Evo x / ralliart parts are getting cheaper and those part or most of the parts are plug n play to base lancer. Cost owning and tuning base lancer are more cheaper then evo x / ralliart. Well it depends to you what the purpose you own / bought a lancer, to become a ricer or racer. :lol:

End of the day, on the Ricer vs Racer note, for the same price as doing a turbo install I could install a big brake kit, coilovers, drop Evo cams, a stainless manifold, full exhaust, 4G69 throttle body and inlet manifold in, have the head skimmed/flowed etc, and have that all tuned in. Could also pop it on a set of semi slick tyres and I reckon I'd still be at less than the realistic £2500+ for the turbo (using used parts). I reckon that'd get faster laps in than a turbo stock Lancer. Just my 2p. 

Because I could......

Its not all about the $$$, its was the journey there, the hobby. It was as fun for me to build it than to drive it. difference between putting bolt on mud flaps and ripping your engine out and really creating something from scratch. Its not always pretty, but its part of the game. Did all the work myself, made some mistakes, manage to do good things too. In the end, I was proud of myself and my car, especialy when I heard the first PPSSSSHHHHHHH from the BOV.:D

For unbelievers, I had a CVT and it was boosted.

6 hours ago, T-Flash said:

Because I could......

Its not all about the $$$, its was the journey there, the hobby. It was as fun for me to build it than to drive it. difference between putting bolt on mud flaps and ripping your engine out and really creating something from scratch. Its not always pretty, but its part of the game. Did all the work myself, made some mistakes, manage to do good things too. In the end, I was proud of myself and my car, especialy when I heard the first PPSSSSHHHHHHH from the BOV.:D

For unbelievers, I had a CVT and it was boosted.

Yeah most of us have seen your build log, and I know for me it was the thing that inspired me to go turbo when I originally planned to. But transmission longevity is going to be awful (I mean it only lasts ~120k on the base GTS's, so god knows how long it'd last turbo'd) and it's just always gonna be a front wheel drive car sadly :( - hence why I still think, for the considerably low price difference, the Ralliart is the better option once you've got a few years experience and no-claims (at least that's the case this side of the pond). 

31 minutes ago, Lukibishi said:

Yeah most of us have seen your build log, and I know for me it was the thing that inspired me to go turbo when I originally planned to. But transmission longevity is going to be awful (I mean it only lasts ~120k on the base GTS's, so god knows how long it'd last turbo'd) and it's just always gonna be a front wheel drive car sadly :( - hence why I still think, for the considerably low price difference, the Ralliart is the better option once you've got a few years experience and no-claims (at least that's the case this side of the pond). 

Granted, it's not the most economical way, but....... I STILL MISS MY LANCER! lol

Wow! A great response from everyone. Like I said in my first post, you can definitely get more performance for your money and if that's all you're going for, then I totally understand the decision no to turbo. Honestly, I was just curious about the underlying reason for peoples decisions, whether they were trying to save money, learn a new skill, enjoyed tinkering, or started modding and got carried away (guilty). None of us would be on the forum if we didn't love our cars, so I'm glad to see everyone enjoying them regardless of the route taken....except for T-Flash. lol. jk.

Sorry to bring this back from a few months but hey I just boosted me 08 Lancer and I couldn't be happier... Yes they said, why?  Buy an Evo... Well why am I going to spend at least 20K and who knows who's been driving it and how.  My mechanic even said why would  you want to boost a lancer!  Mind you he has an 800WHP Talon so I get his response!  Needless to say, I'm so happy with finished results!  I'm hitting 230WHP and man she's a beast!  I wouldn't be surprised if I can keep up with an EVO X on the hiway!  With a completely fresh rebuild engine, I spent just over $5K with parts.

IMO if done right, you won't have any issues with a turbo Lancer.  My mechanic sure knew what he was doing and changed his mind once he Dyno'd it!

Here's my build

08 Turbo Lancer GTS

$5K with parts, how much more for labor & tune?

That was all in!  He's an amazing tuner also.

WOW!!! 5K all in?!!! That's a great deal! I really enjoyed following your build. It should definitely give some confidence to others who would like to follow suit.

Thanks, it'll cost a lot less as I went balls to the wall.  Put in a new engine some internal work done.  3" Stainless steel turbo back exhaust. 

I'd say you can get a RA turbo setup installed with parts and tune for about $3000.  Just need to have the right people do it!  I could have done it at home and it would have taken a long time and I know I'd hit some road blocks.  With my Mechanic, he really is one of the best DSM/Evo tuner out there!

Cheers