Gekan

Replacing broken splash shield bolts

3 posts in this topic

AS the title says, so some back story: One of the screw heads to my oem CAI snorkel broke and had to replace it, so I took a flat head to the broken screw(it was plastic) and manage to push it out but it ended up on top of the bottom splash shield(think thats what its called), so I tried to unbolt it to take out the broken screw part that fell on top of it. Well, the first and only bolt to it that I tried to remove, the head broke off(very likely due to corrosion) and the others look just as corroded so I didnt even try to take those out. I managed to get the screw out by hitting the shield to move it to one of the holes, but now I have to replace the bolt. My question is how easy is it to take out the broken bolt and would I need to take it to a shop?

Shouldn't need to take it to the shop.  Those bolts go into threaded clips that clip onto either side of the plastic.  You can get those clips at an auto parts store, so no matter how many you break off you can just drill new holes, slide a clip onto the hole, then put in your new bolt.

If you really want to get rid of the seized bolt pieces you can try to extract them, probably the best bet is to use a pair of vice grips on the threads that are sticking out the back and keep turning the bolt shaft until it comes out the back of the clip.  If you are able to do this I'd still suggest getting new clips and hitting them with a bit of paint before putting them of for extra rust protection.  Also, use some anti--seize on the bolts as well to prevent future seizing.

Good luck!

Alright thanks sorry for the late reply havent logged in for a while