LittleRedCarGuy

Hello from Washington

18 posts in this topic

Howdy y'all,

Been lurking for a while trying to absorb some of your collective knowledge, finally decided it was time to make an account so I could ask questions when I had them. I live in Washington State in the US of A, and I have a 2015 Lancer GT with the 5 speed. No pictures of my baby just yet, but all in due time. Love the power, but I can always use more. She and I are going to get in a lot of very expensive trouble, I can already see it coming.

Welcome! I'm new here also :)

Welcome to PL man! I learned lots of things just by reading the forums here. Good luck on your build!

Welcome to PL! 

Welcome! What are you looking to do first?

Thanks guys! I'm thinking first thing is the forums convinced me to get a Takeda SRI *I was thinking cold air, but I have foglights and saw somewhere that wouldn't work... Plus I don't want to cut into my fenderwells, and I live in Washington, so standing water is a thing* and try to see if I can order a Ralliart snorkel... I'm trying to keep it to things I can easily justify because "It's improving fuel economy!" and it IS my DD

Make sure you get the '15 SRI, they changed the MAF sensor so the '14 and under will not play nice

Image result for old maf vs new maf lancer

For Reference:

Old MAF

Looks like I found the right one on Amazon, although it says it doesn't fit... Probably because they don't specify it for mine. Dumb question though, does anyone else have the stock airbox clips on the left side???

For what years do they specify the intake you found?

This is what my OEM airbox looked like (2012)

OEM Airbox

Amazon doesn't specify what years it's for... Although RRM says the exact same part is supposedly good for '09 through '15

https://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1065

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058JVXMC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pic related: my OEM airbox

0521170924_HDR~2.jpg

http://afepower.com/afe-power-tr-4203p-takeda-stage-2-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system

The above link is the manufacturer's listing of the product (Takeda Intakes are made by aFe) where the compatible models years are listed 09-14.  That, combined with your airbox clips affixing to the left side of the unit and the lack of clips on the Takeda system, would lead me to believe that the TR-4203P is not going to be plug and play with your vehicle.  Of course, you could probably fab something to make it clip closed, but I still would be wary of the 2015+ MAF fitting properly.

RRM does list it through 2015, but they also have a disclaimer stating, " Some 2015+ models will not work with available intake systems. Please call us at 562 906 0080 to confirm fit.

Naturally, do what makes sense to you - if you want to try it and see if you can make it work go for it, but I'd be sure that whatever vendor you buy this from has a good return policy.

Personally, I would recommend going with a K&N, since it looks like Takeda does not have an intake for you model year (unless my research was too brief and I missed one).  This is in the same price range as the Takeda, actually may be a bit cheaper.  The entire OEM airbox gets replaced by the heat shield that comes with the intake - the only thing you may want to do is figure out an attachment solution to keep the OEM snorkel sitting in place nicely (I used zip ties for a while, recently made a quick bracket to get rid of them)

https://www.carid.com/2015-mitsubishi-lancer-air-intakes/kn-air-intakes-63-series-377250124.html

The folks at CarID are pretty knowledgeable, so if you have any doubts about the product fitting properly chat with their staff.  From the installed photos included on the page it looks like the correct MAF fitment as well.

Well, I did order it already (d'oh!) But it's from Amazon so the return policy just means I'm probably out shipping at worst. Does aluminium pipe vs plastic make a real difference either way? That was part of the reason I'd picked the Takeda over K&N to start... That, and Takeda was a dry filter over the K&N oiled, which I was a little wary of

From the K&N product description:

"...high density Polyethylene. This tube eliminates air path restrictions to the engine and reduces air intake temperature when compared to similar metal tubes."

Now I'm not sure if/how well the intake temp is actually reduced comparatively, but K&N is a reputable brand - they won't be selling you an intake that will melt in your bay.
Also, the filter is oiled to catch more fine dust before it enters the intake, in theory keeping your intake system cleaner.  Takeda claims that "because they use no oil, cleaning is quick and easy." Sure, but so is cleaning an oiled filter.  To get a full clean you need to wash both filters with soap and water anyway, so the saved step is the quick oil spray at the end.  Only downside I see to oiled is that you would want to buy the K&N cleaning kit ($13 on Amazon) with a cleaning solution and oil spray or at the least just the oil spray.  But when you are saving $50 over the Takeda to begin with you are still getting a better deal with the purchase of the kit.

If you are worried about the oil adding residue to the throttle body - I clean my TB when I clean my air filter and haven't noticed any buildup of oil, so my experience has been good.

Well, guess I know what I'll be exchanging the Takeda for. Thanks a lot, you have definitely saved me some serious pain and frustration trying to put my intake on. And taught me a valuable lesson about looking carefully at parts I order compared to my OEM >.>

We've all done it once, hopefully you'll be able to save some money.

It's more difficult with the '15 and up models - 08-14 are pretty much mix and match as you wish (with the exception of exhaust routing) but the '15+s can be a wild card since the aftermarket is still newer, not all the kinks have been worked out yet, etc.  With most mods I think you are still a direct swap to 08-14, but not having worked on a 15 yet I really can't say for sure.  Research, research, research.