Fliparachi

Help! Front passenger side roof creaking

6 posts in this topic

hi, just wondering if any of u guys have had this problem and what did u do to fix it. It only happens when turning on an angle or uneven roads, please help as this is driving me crazy.

Is it a metal creak or is there a tap/rattle?

Do you have a sunroof?

Can you take a photo and circle the exact source (or close to it) of the noise?

3 hours ago, MINE said:

Is it a metal creak or is there a tap/rattle?

Do you have a sunroof?

Can you take a photo and circle the exact source (or close to it) of the noise?

Cant really explain the noise its more like plastic to metal noise and yes i have a sunroof, but its not the source of the noise. I've had it open and tilted and it still makes the noise.

But the noise sounds like its coming on the top in between the doors but underneath the panels 

Have u encountered something like it?

I have indeed.  It could be a couple of things, all normal for vehicles with more than a few miles on them.

1. The headliner is a felt liner glued to a fiber composite backer.  That backer has a decent amount of rigidity, but to make sure it holds its shape there is a plastic skeleton glued to the back of it (see photo below).  Chances are over the years things have loosened up a bit and now there is some more flexibility and/or space between the plastic skeleton and the roof, so when you are driving on rough roads or grooved pavement you hear the plastic rattling against the ceiling.

Solution: Glue felt padding to the skeleton to serve as a cushion between the roof and the plastic.  You don't want something super thick or the headliner will not want to stay up as easily, just something to fill whatever gap may be present and remove the potential for rattling.

2. There are a bunch of clips that hold the wiring for the roof lights, sunroof, and antenna that run across the ceiling and over the doors.  These could also be coming loose and rattling.

Solution: Either glue felt padding between the wings of the clips (I don't have a photo but when you see them you'll know what I mean) and the ceiling or take some 3M double-stick trim adhesive and use that to affix the wings of the clips to the ceiling - no motion = no more rattle.

If the noise is directly above the B-pillar and not toward the middle of the ceiling I'd suspect option #2, but as long as you are up there you might as well knock out both potential solutions.  The grooved pavement of NYC/NJ roads was giving me lots of rattles, so when I replaced my headliner I did both solutions and I've been driving rattle-free for months now.

I hope this helped!

20170520_170707

1 hour ago, MINE said:

I have indeed.  It could be a couple of things, all normal for vehicles with more than a few miles on them.

1. The headliner is a felt liner glued to a fiber composite backer.  That backer has a decent amount of rigidity, but to make sure it holds its shape there is a plastic skeleton glued to the back of it (see photo below).  Chances are over the years things have loosened up a bit and now there is some more flexibility and/or space between the plastic skeleton and the roof, so when you are driving on rough roads or grooved pavement you hear the plastic rattling against the ceiling.

Solution: Glue felt padding to the skeleton to serve as a cushion between the roof and the plastic.  You don't want something super thick or the headliner will not want to stay up as easily, just something to fill whatever gap may be present and remove the potential for rattling.

2. There are a bunch of clips that hold the wiring for the roof lights, sunroof, and antenna that run across the ceiling and over the doors.  These could also be coming loose and rattling.

Solution: Either glue felt padding between the wings of the clips (I don't have a photo but when you see them you'll know what I mean) and the ceiling or take some 3M double-stick trim adhesive and use that to affix the wings of the clips to the ceiling - no motion = no more rattle.

If the noise is directly above the B-pillar and not toward the middle of the ceiling I'd suspect option #2, but as long as you are up there you might as well knock out both potential solutions.  The grooved pavement of NYC/NJ roads was giving me lots of rattles, so when I replaced my headliner I did both solutions and I've been driving rattle-free for months now.

I hope this helped!

20170520_170707

thanks a lot bro! I feel so much better now that i know, for sure its definitely option 2. 

Do i have to take out the headliner to tackle option 2? or can i just access it by taking out the b pillar? 

To take out the headliner you'd have to remove the pillar covers anyway, so start with the cover and see if you can get to those clips. I'd advise dropping the headliner and doing both solutions at once - you should be able to do them both without removing the headliner from the car