martingnz92

VIS Carbon Fiber Hood questions

17 posts in this topic

So i recently acquired a carbonfiber hood from a local buy, hood needs some polishing but does still do its job. Just have a question about it, so here in Texas we can get dry spells to fully storming. I wanted to know since having a short ram intake if there would be any issue with water going in the vents. or if theres any way to prevent it from happening or if what not. Im just paranoid since i had a friend have his car trying to hydrolock because of his CAI. Thank you in advance.

4 minutes ago, martingnz92 said:

So i recently acquired a carbonfiber hood from a local buy, hood needs some polishing but does still do its job. Just have a question about it, so here in Texas we can get dry spells to fully storming. I wanted to know since having a short ram intake if there would be any issue with water going in the vents. or if theres any way to prevent it from happening or if what not. Im just paranoid since i had a friend have his car trying to hydrolock because of his CAI. Thank you in advance.

Good afternoon,

Your going to be fine. Although I doubt you'll experience heavy enough rain fall to have the drainage flow close to the force of the induction airflow to create any problems. 

Depending on the location of the middle vent (if applicable) you'll have distilled water (acidic) falling directly on the exhaust manifold shield or directly depending onto the manifold if you deleted the shield.

I wouldn't worry about the rain fall to much though. Doubt you'll be doing over 40mph in torrential rainfall. If you have any issues just build a shield or find a Takeda/K&N to accommodate your fear.

Sincerely,

Sepelio

you could purchase some 20g stainless and make one, or go with a sealed intake system. The intakes benefit basically nothing but sound over stock anyway. Fwiw, I had an Injen CAI on my 08 gts for 5 years with no problem, and it's right behind the fog light. Did have a water screen on the filter though....may be a good investment for piece of mind

4 hours ago, Sepelio said:

Good afternoon,

Your going to be fine. Although I doubt you'll experience heavy enough rain fall to have the drainage flow close to the force of the induction airflow to create any problems. 

Depending on the location of the middle vent (if applicable) you'll have distilled water (acidic) falling directly on the exhaust manifold shield or directly depending onto the manifold if you deleted the shield.

I wouldn't worry about the rain fall to much though. Doubt you'll be doing over 40mph in torrential rainfall. If you have any issues just build a shield or find a Takeda/K&N to accommodate your fear.

Sincerely,

Sepelio

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I greatly appreciate it, just wanted to take all the precautions necessary to keep my car alive and looking good. Would getting the aluminum shield the evo x hood comes with be good or am i better off leaving it as is?

2 hours ago, Gts08lanc said:

you could purchase some 20g stainless and make one, or go with a sealed intake system. The intakes benefit basically nothing but sound over stock anyway. Fwiw, I had an Injen CAI on my 08 gts for 5 years with no problem, and it's right behind the fog light. Did have a water screen on the filter though....may be a good investment for piece of mind

Do you think i could just buy the one that the EVO/Ralliart hood come with? found one at a good deal. I was planning on going with a sealed intake system soon, just either need to find a Greddy one or just get the Takeda.

50 minutes ago, martingnz92 said:

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I greatly appreciate it, just wanted to take all the precautions necessary to keep my car alive and looking good. Would getting the aluminum shield the evo x hood comes with be good or am i better off leaving it as is?

It's totally up to you. You already have an aftermarket intake? Seen as you live in Texas I recommend keeping the stock airbox & air filter setup. Will keep the dust out of your engine better than anything else. You could also get a WIX airfilter which seems to work well too. 

Another option would be to swap intakes between summer & winter. Not sure how the dust lingers in Texas during both seasons. 

Sincerely,

Sepelio

31 minutes ago, Sepelio said:

It's totally up to you. You already have an aftermarket intake? Seen as you live in Texas I recommend keeping the stock airbox & air filter setup. Will keep the dust out of your engine better than anything else. You could also get a WIX airfilter which seems to work well too. 

Another option would be to swap intakes between summer & winter. Not sure how the dust lingers in Texas during both seasons. 

Sincerely,

Sepelio

Dust isnt really an issue in Houston, the only thing that we get is random rain and hot weather, the dust is usually only when going through construction, which i rarely do. i have a HPS intake for now, was planning on upgrading it to something better, such as the enclosed Greddy/Takeda intake. I have my stock airbox but the K&N filter i had i ended up selling it.  

53 minutes ago, martingnz92 said:

Dust isnt really an issue in Houston, the only thing that we get is random rain and hot weather, the dust is usually only when going through construction, which i rarely do. i have a HPS intake for now, was planning on upgrading it to something better, such as the enclosed Greddy/Takeda intake. I have my stock airbox but the K&N filter i had i ended up selling it.  

You'll be fine then. You going to get the Ralliart snorkel?

12 hours ago, Sepelio said:

You'll be fine then. You going to get the Ralliart snorkel?

I have the Ralliart snorkel too, thought of that before getting the SRI. I wanted to have my engine bay look a bit more cleaner, so had decided in getting an enclosed aftermarket intake but the HPS intake was at a great deal so couldnt pass it up.

15 hours ago, martingnz92 said:

Do you think i could just buy the one that the EVO/Ralliart hood come with? found one at a good deal. I was planning on going with a sealed intake system soon, just either need to find a Greddy one or just get the Takeda.

If the vent design mimics the evo then absolutely, that'd be my first choice. You may have to epoxy them in. In the meantime Of the sealed box, id grab the filter sock

Thought I might revive my thread real quick, so i have the hood installed and im loving it so far, still running the HPI SRI, but now i want to see about getting hood dampers but i only see some that work for the stock hood or stock evo hood. Anyone know which brand or who makes some for carbon fiber hoods?

To my knowledge the difference would be in how much force the dampers exert on the hood. As long as the attachment points are sturdy I'd imagine oem struts would be fine, but I don't know for sure

Yeah, I have the Greddy ones on my CF hood and no issues. They attach to the hinge points so no issues with flex or anything. Go for it!

6 hours ago, Twylyt said:

Yeah, I have the Greddy ones on my CF hood and no issues. They attach to the hinge points so no issues with flex or anything. Go for it!

those are the ones i really wanted, but they said something about not for aftermarket hoods aka carbon fiber. so i strayed from them. I guess ill just buy some and go from there