longlivelancer

HELP: Steering problems!?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I know its been a while since ive been active on here but im having some troubles with my 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer GT.

So right now when I drive over bumps, or rough road, the steering wheel will jerk either way, as well as the steering wheel feels "loose" compared to what I believe im used to in the car.

Things that have happened recently to affect perhaps?

- Car was rear ended. Rear bumper replaced, and some minor sheet metal repair in the rear as well.

- Replaced Bridgestone Potenzas with Falken Ziex (245/40/18)

- Car currently sits .5" lower on the left front, than the right front.

- Car currently sits 1" lower on the left rear, than the right rear.

- I have now had 2 wheel alignments in the last 30 days. Upon getting the second one done about 30 days after the 1st, the toe was out slightly to the right. Have since corrected with the second alignment, went for a test drive and still experiencing problems.

So as I said before the steering now seems to feel loose to the point that I no longer feel comfortable taking hard corners like she deserves! I'll notice slight wandering when driving faster, and when going slow over big or small bumps, or dips in the road the steering wheel will turn right or left a bit causing me to correct quite a bit. Also I noticed that when I now drive with two hands on the wheel it doesnt feel firm or planted enough thats its uncomfortable or feel that its actually easier to steer with one hand and correct. That probably makes no sense but this is what im experiencing. I've driven a 2013 Lancer for 2 years then upgraded to the 15' GT and I can swear that I didnt experience this before.

I am in the process of saving to upgrade my suspension to BC Racing Coilovers, but im afraid that after doing so it still wont correct the problem. I've done a ton of internet research and things I have found so far are possibly Outter tie rods might be bad, or end links. if any of you guys can give me a direction to go it would be appreciated. Right now my plan is probably going to be outter tie rods, end links, coilovers, and hopefully i can my car normally again.

Please if any of you guys have experienced something like this and have found a sollution or want to throw in your two cents please let me know. I have gone to Mitsu twice now and they state that the steering is normal... which it most definitely is not.

Thanks in advance!

- Car currently sits .5" lower on the left front, than the right front.

- Car currently sits 1" lower on the left rear, than the right rear.

I think it is quite clear where the issues start. I would guess that one of your shocks has blown with the crash. Heavy steering, trailing over bumps and potholes comes after the tires are no longer aligned with each other and/or have too much toe out/in and camber. Using wide tires (245) also doesn't help. Floating feeling is more related to blown shocks, and loose tie rods or even lower arms, although the last would be more like pulling to one side rather than random floating.

By the way, another reason could be that your tires are under inflated.

12 hours ago, trancedrift said:

I think it is quite clear where the issues start. I would guess that one of your shocks has blown with the crash. Heavy steering, trailing over bumps and potholes comes after the tires are no longer aligned with each other and/or have too much toe out/in and camber. Using wide tires (245) also doesn't help. Floating feeling is more related to blown shocks, and loose tie rods or even lower arms, although the last would be more like pulling to one side rather than random floating.

By the way, another reason could be that your tires are under inflated.

Hey man thanks for the reply. So I have taken my car 2 times to Mitsu and they keep stating they arent failing yet... (even though they are or if not are close). and I have had two alignments. I was thinking maybe tie rod ends because after my 1st alignment it did go out within 3 weeks the toe was pointing to the right slightly. Now after the second it drives straight again but i still float at higher speeds side to side. Also turning is very sloppy ie. you cant just find the angle of the long corner and hold the wheel there.. I will have to keep tweeking the wheel all along the corner.

I do understand that wide tires doesnt help but I have experienced that before and this is much more intense.

What would you go after first in your opinion? Save up the whole $2000 for coils and install/alignment or start with least expensive and work your way up?

Thanks again!

First I would jack the car up and scour the suspension for anything that looks to be the cause of the imbalance, then fix that part first.  Coilovers are going to change the stresses on other suspension components so if an end link is bad and you drop on coils there is a greater chance of having bigger problems with that end link down the road.

If it's just the shocks, cool. Install coils and enjoy the lowered ride as well.

I just had the car jacked up and checked the outter tie rods which looked perfectly fine, and also checked the end links. and nothing obvious was there.

Going to just replace end links, and save for suspension and hope it fixes it. Just sucks a few things happened close together that make this more difficult to solve (getting new wheels and the accident)

thanks again for your guys' feedback! I will keep you guys posted if i figure this thing out. after all of my googling I see there are a couple of threads for other cars that experience the same thing and dont solve the problem. or its to long after the post and they didnt update it once they did.

Bushings checked out okay too? Nothing loosened up, wheels have hub rings if necessary?

Good luck, I hope you get the issues resolved. 

Yep, all bushings looked perfectly fine, no grease showing, no tears in the plastic nothing.

I took another corner today and went over a man hole while cornering and it does feel like maybe it is the tires. It *feels* as if the sidewall is rolling around corners, could this be a thing? I noticed that my old tires (Bridgestone Potenzas) the sidewall was flush with the lip of the rim. and now these new tires although they are the same size by spec (falken ziex 245/40/r18) the falkens appear to have a little bit of a stretch to them. Very minor but definitely noticable from the last. Anyone have any input on this possibly? Im going to go out and take some pictures of the sag and the tires for ref.

Greetings all, my very first post on this forum so go easy on me please!

I'm an ASE master tech, which with $2 can get me a cup of coffee nut it has also allowed me to work on a bunch of suspensions.

Anyway, for starters the car in question has a 1/2" droop on the left side. The first thing to do is park on a smooth concrete surface and with a decent ruler and tape measure go under the car and start taking measurements to find where the droop is coming from. The shock absorbers are not/should not be responsible for the droop, all they are supposed to do is dampen the spring oscillations. Either springs are damaged or there is some bent metal that has not been addressed somewhere. Check the spring lengths against each other too, but take a bunch of comparative measurements and keep looking until you find where the issue is.

Lastly, I would find a dedicated suspension shop and take their advice. Not to sound like a weasel but there are too many variables to diagnose over the internet, for example your description of going over bumps causing the car to decide that it wants to go left, then go right or whatever is a common symptom of excessive negative camber but without looking and measuring there is no way to determine if that one of the issues you have. I'd much rather spend my money there than at a dealership also.

Anyway, good luck and keep your results posted here!

GM

I have to agree, in shop, with a professional, with the car jacked up you see much more than just guessing.

As I have changed litterally all suspension components on my Lancer as part of making it suited for road-track racing, I have experienced various issues

- Tracking on bumps - light increase with wider 245+ tires, very heavy increase with increased negative camber and caster angles - I used to drive with -4 static camber and 4.5+ caster and it was still very doable, you just always need to hold the wheel very thight :D , and finally very very heavy increase with any combination of mismatching toe -in or-out, like dangerously a lot of tracking in combination with the large negative camber to the point that the car would jump a full meter to the side after hitting a puddle of water and pothole on the road. I had to do it once shortly after changing tie rods alone and then driving to the shop for alignment.

- Floating feeling at higher speeds - generally something associated with soft shocks, tired springs, and worn out suspension components. Although it is quite possible that both issues are realted. I was trying out my tie rods and ball joint, none of them showed any movement while on the car. I still changed both ball joints and both tie rods, just to be sure, and the old pars were totally moving free and loose after removed. Also the old shocks when I put the coil overs were so bad, I could push them in and out with one finger. They were on less than 100 000 miles.

I still think that you have to start with the height mismatch, you should not have such with stock suspension. It could be from either blown shock strut, broken spring, loose sway bar, but also from having something bent after hitting a pot hole with high speed. That one would be more hard to diagnose and cure.

Hey guys thanks a ton for your replies. I havent been able to diagnose it yet as im renovating my house, and unable to get the car in yet. Im going to be bringing it in to a suspension shop, get them to take a look at everything and will keep you guys posted soon.

Thanks again!

Alright ladies and gents... a final update for you guys.

So after all that b.s. listed above, I decided to go to an out of town Mitsubishi Dealer to get my car looked at by a fresh set of eyes... and thankfully they actually acknowledged that my suspension WAS indeed faulty. Within a few hours of having my car I got a phone call and they informed me they will be replacing my whole suspension struts, and shocks under warranty! Im so pumped boys! After 2 months of not being able to drive my car (It literally almost hucked me off the road numerous times) It seems I will be getting my car back in 45 minutes and all SHOULD be well.

I guess for some reason either the initial dealer I went to which was Tri City Mitsubishi.. <--- be weary if you are around this dealership either didnt take the time to actually look over my vehicle.. or quite simply didnt even diagnose anything and tried to tell me it was all good. Just be cautious with dealerships boys.. im sure you guys all are and already know. But Ive bought 2 vehicles off these guys and they wouldnt even aknowledge a valid warranty claim.

5 star review to Surrey Mitsubishi, BC Canada.

Thanks for your help though guys I appreciate it.

Woo! Glad you're getting some good service from a dealer.  Let us know how the ride feels post-service