DoodWithACar

Trying an engine swap...

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys! So I have a 2010 Lancer ES, and don't get me wrong, it's my baby, but I want it to go faster :lol: I was looking at some Evo engines, and was wondering if it would work? I also want to do a transmission swap as well, as of now it's auto and I want a manual. I understand I could just buy an Evo, but I like the challenge! Also it would be awesome because it would be still my car, meaning I would have a closer connection to it, as creepy as that sounds Cx So what do you guys think? What year Evo engine would I need? Is it even possible? Thanks!

I ain't no mechanic but I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you're really serious about swapping an evo engine I think you'd also have to do an AWD conversion as well. Which unless you plan on doing everything yourself its cheaper just to get an evo. Also anything is possible so long as you have the money to fuel a project.

So what engine year do you think would fit? I'm up for the challenge, and straight buying an Evo isn't fun Cx Should I stick to 2008-2010? Or would a 2012 fit too? 

If You really want an 4B11T engine swap, it will cost quite a lot.  Cheapest way is to put in EVOX engine/manual/diff combo and blocking the diff. Basically You will have FWD EVOX with possibility to install rest of the AWD system later. Check some photos of a such example car : https://www.drive2.ru/r/mitsubishi/681069/   Obvious problems as explained by the owner of that setup are massive wheelspin and  torque steer to the left ( since Lancer fwd have shorter driver side axle shafts ) Then again, all fwd lancers with stock 4B11 or 4B12 boosted engines have the same issues.  Obviously, suspension and brake upgrades would be needed too.  There is example for EVOX engine swap done to another Russian Lancer. Owner went from 1.8CVT to 2.4 engine, NA tuned it to 210 hp( ~180whp) then installed awd with Lancer 5spd and then swapped to EVOX engine (Lancer 5spd fits 4B11T engine, but upgraded clutch is needed ) : https://www.drive2.ru/r/mitsubishi/288230376151840473/   You can probably imagine how much money was spent on that car, not even mentioning cosmetics, interior and suspension upgrades. Therefore it all depends if You have strong enough personal reasons in spending that much money on Your current car, rather than saving up and trading it in for ralliart  or  if You dislike used cars, getting newer lancer with manual and factory awd.   If I would have to choose, I would opt out for ralliart turbo kit install. Even Your current CVT would hold a safe boosted 2.0 engine, but if it fails, You can then switch to manual. 

What power levels are you going for and how much are you willing to spend? I ask, because I don't see any real reason to put a 4B11t in. The only reason to would be to go for big power (over 500hp) and you're not going to get that to ground effectively without awd. To get there, you're easily looking at $10k and that's doing the work yourself. If you want less power than that, then you could get there on your current engine with upgraded internals, turbo kit, and fwd manual transmission. Will be cheaper for you and less complicated in the end. Either way it's a lot of work, but extremely fun!

18 hours ago, Twylyt said:

What power levels are you going for and how much are you willing to spend? I ask, because I don't see any real reason to put a 4B11t in. The only reason to would be to go for big power (over 500hp) and you're not going to get that to ground effectively without awd. To get there, you're easily looking at $10k and that's doing the work yourself. If you want less power than that, then you could get there on your current engine with upgraded internals, turbo kit, and fwd manual transmission. Will be cheaper for you and less complicated in the end. Either way it's a lot of work, but extremely fun!

By upgraded internals, what do you mean? And I believe my car or RWD, so would it be better to convert to AWD, or is it even possible to convert to FWD. I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm willing to learn! Nothing is out of the question Cx And I have a buddy who is good with cars, so he could help me with installs, so install fees don't apply to me. 

All non RA/Evo lancers are FWD with later models having AWD. Though some have done RWD conversions with their Evos.

14 hours ago, Gekan said:

All non RA/Evo lancers are FWD with later models having AWD. Though some have done RWD conversions with their Evos.

+1

Our cars didn't come from the factory with RWD. If you have a drive shaft then you're AWD. Otherwise you're FWD (which I believe your 2010 ES is). By upgrade internals I'm talking about physical parts inside of the engine (ie: cams, pistons, rods, etc.). Basically build the the block you have to handle the power you want, up to 500hp. Anything beyond that, go ahead and do your 4B11T swap along with an AWD conversion.

Also, that 500hp limit is there for a reason. The strongest clutch/pressure plate combo that will fit our cars will only hold 440 lbf of torque which is about 500hp on our cars. Plus, that's really hard to keep to the ground on a FWD car, so anything over that will require an AWD conversion.

Again, let us know your goals and we can steer you in the right direction. There are a ton of people here willing to give you info so keep the questions coming!  :)