Recluse

CVT metal grinding type noise

4 posts in this topic

Hello, so my 09 lancer just recently hit 76,000 and she has given me no problems until recently I hear the cvt tranny make a high pitch metal sheering sound when going between 4,500 and 5,000 rpms. It does it when accelerating through that zone and decelerating as well.  

I think it may be my battery, but I just want to be sure before replacing it. The battery is oem :D and has never been replaced. The last time I checked it the CCA were pretty low to the point where the shop told me to replace it, but it still starts without a problem. ( rarely it does have a lag before start up)

any idea what it may be? I am a spirited driver as well.

After a while,  when getting loose,  metal heat shield that covers exhaust manifold starts to resonate, usually around those RPMs. Before doing anything else, check out Your heat shield.  If that is the case, easiest fix is to put an soft and heat resistant wire around mounting hole brackets, like in this picture. : http://shark.lancerx.ru/Lancerx/Zvon_kollektora/019-3.jpg  Even if that is not the problem, securing that heat shield would be still recommended. If problem persists, alternator could be another suspect, since dealers often changed alternator pulleys for earlier cars as they were not properly balanced and could fail. However sound would be more low pitch rattle. Anyway, start with cheapest to fix possibility and that is heat shield and go from there.

Thanks, I have heard of that actually, believe me I have done a lot of research, but I wondered how the heatshield could always rattle and produce that same noise at around 4,500-5,000 rpms.

I will secure it and update you when I do. Thanks multimix!

I have a noise around 3K or so, tech thinks it's a pitted bearing in the tranny.  Hopefully its just the heat shield for you.  Not sure the best way to diagnose bearings in a CVT - we were able to tell what it was because I would put the clutch in and the noise went away.