vizi0n

How to pop the hood on a 08+ when the wire is not working?

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

My battery died last night when it was -40 and the car won't start. I would like to charge it but the hood doesn't pop .... the handle inside feels loose then becomes very tight and doesn't feel like its engaging anything.

Is there any trick to pull the spring manually? There is a big block off plate in front of the spring mechanismn that prevents me from moving it with a screwdriver through the grill on the bumper

So far I tried having someone pull on the hood while I'm wiggling the handle and nothing happened.

Thanks for your advice!

3 ways:

1: Remove the a fog light bezel and see if you can reach up to the mechanism.  It's a stretch, but you might be able to get to it that way.  If you have fog lights there may not be enough room.

2: Remove the belly guard.  There are about 20 push clips that hold it in place and the whole thing comes off in one piece.  This may let you reach up to the release.

3: Do all of the steps to remove the front bumper that don't require you to be under the hood.  1 screw at each rear corner (screw points upward at the edge of the wheel well), push clips just forward of the wheel well (underneath), push clips in the wheel well (forward, down low, point towards front of car), 2 screws behind 2 plastic covers in the center of the grille behind the factory plate location, 5 bolts across the bottom that hold the bumper to the plastic underbelly.  Pop the corners of the bumper loose, this should also give you some wiggle room to get arms up behind the bumper.

Before you do any hard pulling on the bumper it may be a good idea to warm the plastic a bit so it's a less brittle, that way you don't snap any of the thin plastic bits.

None of these are great options, be they are the best I've got. Maybe time for a new release cable?

Good luck!

Well lucky me, tonight as it was a bit hotter than the previous days it finally popped!

Charging in progress ....... :)

On 1/4/2018 at 9:08 PM, vizi0n said:

Well lucky me, tonight as it was a bit hotter than the previous days it finally popped!

Charging in progress ....... :)

Awesome!

If freezing is your issue you can put a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water into a spray bottle and spray the latch through the grille next time it freezes up, which may break up any moisture that has frozen the latch