Marcus07hs

P2122 throttle positon sensor?

9 posts in this topic

Like the title says.....i just replaced my o2 sensor (p0137and p0171) and now im getting the code p2122 (throttle position sensor). My car is now in limp mode and i cant figure out why. It goes in and out of limp mode and it decides to go limp when it feels like it whether im driving 40 miles to work (no limp mode) or 2 miles to the store (limp mode activates at red light).I tried looking for a replacement but couldnt find one for the 2010 lancer ES. Does anyone know if we have a throttle position sensor or do i have to change out the entire throttle body? And the location of the throttle position sensor?

Also i have sprintbooster installed for 7 years with no issues until now. I will uninstall sprintbooster first to see if that works.

Yes, you have a throttle sensor. It is the black piece on the side of the TB. Looks like security-style torx screws keep it on the TB. 

20180119_12205320180119_12205020180119_122121

That’s your tps

C521C299-790A-4113-B2C8-71083F4181D0.jpeg

Isn't  p2122  code for accelerator pedal position sensor? 

Info: (scroll down) : https://portal-diagnostov.ru/index.php/ru/rukovodstva-po-remontu/rukovodstva-po-remontu/mitsubishi/lancer/553-rukovodstvo-po-remontu-mitsibishi-lancer-2009-eng/46487-m113176200067500eng

If that is the case, I doubt that sprintbooster could damage it. I even doubt You could find a case of accelerator pedal sensor fault in Lancers on the net. The more I look at Your particular case, the more I believe that all those codes (including o2 sensor faults) were result of damage in electrical circuit. It is common for Lancers ( around 8-10)yrs old, to get wires torn inside of the plastic harness as the wires constantly rubs against the housing. Or oxidized contacts. As a result throwing out random codes.

Before committing to buy new parts, a thorough check of electrical system under the hood  would be recommended. At least visually checking contacts and wire condition inside housings.

10 hours ago, MINE said:

Yes, you have a throttle sensor. It is the black piece on the side of the TB. Looks like security-style torx screws keep it on the TB. 

20180119_12205320180119_12205020180119_122121

Thank you for the pictures.

9 hours ago, gstacruz777 said:

That’s your tps

C521C299-790A-4113-B2C8-71083F4181D0.jpeg

Thank you for this info. That's what i thought but definitely wasn't sure. 

6 hours ago, multimix said:

Isn't  p2122  code for accelerator pedal position sensor? 

Info: (scroll down) : https://portal-diagnostov.ru/index.php/ru/rukovodstva-po-remontu/rukovodstva-po-remontu/mitsubishi/lancer/553-rukovodstvo-po-remontu-mitsibishi-lancer-2009-eng/46487-m113176200067500eng

If that is the case, I doubt that sprintbooster could damage it. I even doubt You could find a case of accelerator pedal sensor fault in Lancers on the net. The more I look at Your particular case, the more I believe that all those codes (including o2 sensor faults) were result of damage in electrical circuit. It is common for Lancers ( around 8-10)yrs old, to get wires torn inside of the plastic harness as the wires constantly rubs against the housing. Or oxidized contacts. As a result throwing out random codes.

Before committing to buy new parts, a thorough check of electrical system under the hood  would be recommended. At least visually checking contacts and wire condition inside housings.

Thank you for this. This is the info that can help me start a foundation to go off of. 

Also I cleared the codes and still get random codes but the ones that seems to be consistent are the p0171 (lean) and  p2122 (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input), P2138 (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch D/E Voltage Correlation). The P2138 comes up about 3/10 times I clear the codes but is still related to the TPS. I did unplug the TPS while the car was on to see if there would be any change(maybe not a good idea) but the car of course immediately idled erratically and the dash lights came on (Engine light, and ASC). Speaking of the ASC, i noticed when it rains heavily on the highway the ASC words will appear, letting me know that the ASC is now off, this has never happened before until recently. The O2 sensor (Downstream) I replaced, visually speaking looked very bad and needed replacing. The bottom was bend inward and melted at the bottom, and some of the wires sheath were cut leaving the wires exposed to be damaged. The P0137 code for the O2 sensor I replaced has never returned.

On 1/20/2018 at 1:37 AM, Marcus07hs said:

Thank you for this. This is the info that can help me start a foundation to go off of. 

Also I cleared the codes and still get random codes but the ones that seems to be consistent are the p0171 (lean) and  p2122 (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input), P2138 (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch D/E Voltage Correlation). The P2138 comes up about 3/10 times I clear the codes but is still related to the TPS. I did unplug the TPS while the car was on to see if there would be any change(maybe not a good idea) but the car of course immediately idled erratically and the dash lights came on (Engine light, and ASC). Speaking of the ASC, i noticed when it rains heavily on the highway the ASC words will appear, letting me know that the ASC is now off, this has never happened before until recently. The O2 sensor (Downstream) I replaced, visually speaking looked very bad and needed replacing. The bottom was bend inward and melted at the bottom, and some of the wires sheath were cut leaving the wires exposed to be damaged. The P0137 code for the O2 sensor I replaced has never returned.

have this test: put the swith on ON give the accelerator pedal 10 times smooth, then put the swith on OFF repeat the process three times and turn on your car must go without problems and disappear the problem if you continue to replace the pedal accelerator was damaged by the sprint booster