avalancer

ALL About Intake Systems

191 posts in this topic

Im new in this forum, I was reading about CAI and SRI and I live on Puerto Rico, sometimes dry, sometimes a lot of rain. I just want to know what is best for my 09 Lancer GTS, CAI or SRI (because the water that could came into the engine)???
i live near you in ceiba and i have injen cai for almost a year now add a hydro shield ten cuenta con los baches profundos....

hey guys, i just installed my k&n sri not too long ago, just wondering... around 2 - 2.5 000 rpm, the sound is kinda rattly... just wondering if its normal, since it sounds great during all other rpms..

did anybody who has the injen cai have trouble installing?

did anybody who has the injen cai have trouble installing?
they say to take off the bumper to install, i was like nope. did it all through the foglight hole. they include a bracket to remotely mount the oil cooler on the cvt (wich i have). all together the install took me about 2 hrs. the mounting points for the intake aswell as the cooler brackets were bang on. injen really boned up on the lancer for this one.

-pros-

cold air

sound

probly the prettiest intake ive seen for the lancer

fits well

-cons-

i think throttle response is better with sri

pain in the bum removing filter as opposed to sri

hydrolock risk if submerged

word.

hey guys, i just bought my injen cai and worried about hydrolocking. what will really cause this ?

being an idiot and going into a 4 inch or more deep puddle

^ what he said. Dont be an idiot and drive through deep looking puddles if at all possible. If you see a fairly large puddle speed up a little before it and coast through it and dont give it gas. Also the hydro shield will help, will not prevent it but will help.

alright, thanks for the response. One last thing. I read that it will not void mitsubishi's 5-5-10 warranty, but the injen cai can reduce engine life. Is this true?

I have a question a mitsubishi mecanic told me that CAI and SRI intakes actually lowers the cars HP because it bogs the engine with air and since you dont have more spark or fuel coming in the cars losess performance is it true because Im not risking to loose my warranty for something that wont increase my performance significantly!!!
This is a common scare tactic practiced by mechanics / dealers. What the mechanic is saying is in a way true, however he left out the fact that the computer is constantly sensing how much oxygen is entering the engine. It does take a little while for this to register with the computer, but once it does, the computer will automatically adust the fuel ratio.

In addition, the CAI is bringing "cold air" meaning the the air is slightly denser (vs hot air) and allowing it to carry slightly more oxygen (needed for combustion).

All in all, yes there is a improvement in performance, and most people will feel it. Horsepower increases (depending on type of intake system), for our cars, tend to me between 4 and i think 11hp. Combine that with a exhaust system and it will make an even bigger difference.

it will not void the warranty unless the part causes a problem and the dealer can prove it. I have never heard it lowers engine life but that doesnt mean its not true.

it will not void the warranty unless the part causes a problem and the dealer can prove it. I have never heard it lowers engine life but that doesnt mean its not true.
oh alright. thanks alot.

I have an Injen CAI. Install wasnt hard (I could do it by removing the front left wheel and guard). Performance side, it is MUCH better. Torque is higher and so is high end power. Definitely more responsive and accelerates better. I rate it excellent.

Lol. Anyone seen the CAI on lancers with projectors?

I can't decide between the injen sri and the K&N one, I have the 2010 lancer De 2.0 liter, any ideas? If anyone has a better choice please let me know, I am looking for slight hp and fuel mileage gains.

^^^^ Everyone has an injen, but i went with the K&N. looks a lot cleaner and comes with a heat shield!

med_gallery_4384_234_206784.jpg

I bought the hps but thanks though!

^^^^ Everyone has an injen, but i went with the K&N. looks a lot cleaner and comes with a heat shield!

a>

jlleroux, that does look nice. I just won one of these at MOD today. How easy/hard was the install? It looks like it would be fairly simple, but others have said the injen and especially the Takeda have given them trouble.

jlleroux, that does look nice. I just won one of these at MOD today. How easy/hard was the install? It looks like it would be fairly simple, but others have said the injen and especially the Takeda have given them trouble.

everyone might have dif. views on how hard or easy it is but i installed this K&N SRI on my buddies 2.0 GTS and its a really simple install and even easier when u just follow the directions lol heres a vid of it right after we installed it showing the sound difference and looks from stock to a SRI...

^^ hes right, very easy to install.... just follow the instructions. they are car specific too!

nice. thanks.

congrats on winning that **** at MOD, that is about a 300 dollar intake! i love my injen cold air intake and the deep growl it gives me at lower rpms and how it SCREAMS at higher rpms, but with an SRI, you dont have to worry about driving in the rain and sucking up water. downfall of having a CAI :/

i live in so cal and there are the strictest EPA laws here:/ i was really looking into getting a CAI for my 2.4 L but im pretty sure most are banned here haha just wondering if

there might be any CA legal ones out there so i dont have to rip out the CAI when it comes time for a SMOG test. if anyone could put up some links or info about this thatd be

greatly appreciated, thanks!

wow man that weapon r intake sounds sexy, did you throw any CEL? notice any gains? im liking it

hey guys, i just installed my k&n sri not too long ago, just wondering... around 2 - 2.5 000 rpm, the sound is kinda rattly... just wondering if its normal, since it sounds great during all other rpms..