NULL

How To High Contrast Your Meters

24 posts in this topic

Ok guys here is the How to on the meters.

Disclaimers:

-Do at your own risk

-This How To was done on a Right Hand Side Lancer

Very easy to do, it's the taking apart and putting back that is time consuming.

For those who do not know how to solder, please do your research. Heres a simple how to. CLICK ME!

Other important info:

Our original circuit board for our meters have 7 LED mounting points each for the speedo and tacho. Meaning that there are a total of 14 LED mounting points.

For the EvoX, all 14 LEDs, meaning 7 per side are filled up. But for the EX, from 1.5 to GT, they only used 3 LEDs per side. No wonder our meters look so dim.

Lets begin.

Solder 4 strips of 3-LED arrays together

1.jpg

Remove glovebox by pressing in the location shown

2.jpg

Remove damper by pressing in the direction shown as well

3.jpg

Tilt down the glovebox all the way and "unhook" from the mounting point

4.jpg

Once glovebox is out of the way, unscrew this screw

5.jpg

Then like lego, just pull, it will just snap open

6.jpg

One more screw...

7.jpg

And the carbon fiber trim will unsnap by pulling at the lower edge, no need lots of force, just give it a good tug

8.jpg

Next pull the center panel in the direction as shown, no need to unscrew anything here

9.jpg

Unclip the connector and the left side is done, now to the right side

10.jpg

Unscrew this

11.jpg

and this

12.jpg

then pull...

13.jpg

unscrew this

14.jpg

and pull

15.jpg

Lower steering column to the lowest position

17.jpg

Then unscrew this *very impt!*

18.jpg

Then pull as shown

19.jpg

unplug the trip computer button

20.jpg

Take off the twin peaks...

21.jpg

Full expose! Remove 3 screws with ease

22.jpg

unplug the harness connecting to the panel

23.jpg

China in your hand..Lol.

24.jpg

Dislodge the clips as shown, total 8 clips

25.jpg

Separation

26.jpg

Take a peek behind the meter, notice the blank led mounting points? EvoX has all of these filled up. EX has cost cutting built in! hehe

27.jpg

Paste LED strip as shown, 2 strips per meter, total 2 sides = 4 strips

28.jpg

After pasting, join the "180 club" in the comfort of your car park!!!

29.jpg

Testing

30.jpg

Mounted

31.jpg

Credit goes to ZRS over on LancerEx.

Nice Joey. I will have to try this

and i guess if u guys really wanted to u could put diff color strips and cover up the existing leds

nice how to bro thanks.But were do you connect the wires?

A sick ass write-up!!! I was looking for white face overlay but can't find nowhere. I definitely want to do this, these gauges r hard to see in the daytime on a bright sunny day with sun glasses on.

Where did u get the leds at & where did u connect them to? If u can answer this for me so I can mod my meters, thx

A sick ass write-up!!! I was looking for white face overlay but can't find nowhere. I definitely want to do this, these gauges r hard to see in the daytime on a bright sunny day with sun glasses on.

Where did u get the leds at & where did u connect them to? If u can answer this for me so I can mod my meters, thx

PM'd you.

PM'd you.
why pm, why not post publicly where he connected them to, i know where i can connect it to but just for everyone else

PM'd you.
why pm, why not post publicly where he connected them to, i know where i can connect it to but just for everyone else
If you must know i PM'd him to tell him i didnt have the pic nor the information at hand, and will get back to him when i do. I dont post unless its for sure, and I dont waste posts as well. I dont hide information, everyone on PL knows i share more than enough. Im not shy. So before i post the pic where did you say you connect the wires so i can compare it to mines. ??????

ill vouch for zero. he is def not someone who hides information any information he can give out he does. and yes zero i wana know where to connect them too cause this how to doesnt really show

well if i wanted to do it the sure fire way i would hook it up straight to the fuse for the gauges like i did my angel eyes, but if someone really wanted to they could test the wires by using the good set of wire cutters that can cut just the insulation and test for what gets constant power when the car turns on, but by the look of the pics it looks like the guy connected it to maybe the 12v socket by the shifter maybe or did something with the fuse like i mentioned cause u can see in the test pic that he doesnt have the gauges hooked up to that TRIP connector

well if i wanted to do it the sure fire way i would hook it up straight to the fuse for the gauges like i did my angel eyes, but if someone really wanted to they could test the wires by using the good set of wire cutters that can cut just the insulation and test for what gets constant power when the car turns on, but by the look of the pics it looks like the guy connected it to maybe the 12v socket by the shifter maybe or did something with the fuse like i mentioned cause u can see in the test pic that he doesnt have the gauges hooked up to that TRIP connector
Very true on everythig you said. But in this case they used the fuse method.

IgnitionLED-Web.jpg

IgnitionLED-Web-1.jpg

nice write up. this would help me coz i have a right hand drive lancer. too bad i aint got the balls to rip my lancer apart like that. i was worreid when i was takin out the stereo let alone doing something like this

nice write up. this would help me coz i have a right hand drive lancer. too bad i aint got the balls to rip my lancer apart like that. i was worreid when i was takin out the stereo let alone doing something like this
(l) (l) (l) Its cool. Different mods for different levels.

is there a way to replace the lancer face plate with the evo one? cuz personaly i think the evo one is nice!!!!

i dont see why not, i believe their the same dash

is there a way to replace the lancer face plate with the evo one? cuz personaly i think the evo one is nice!!!!
cool idea and it would probably work except your speed reading would be way off

yah that would be sick if you could calibrate it to the right speed too!!!! that would be awsome!

lol the mickey mouse steering wheel cover was distracting me from what was actually going on....damn you ADD!

good write up though...i might have to start trying some of this crazier electrical stuff.

ok i took my lancer apart and instead of connecting my LEDs to a fuse i soldered extra led's along with the 3 that were there. all the LEDs light up but they dont seem any brighter like it just kinda became 75% power for all LEDs. Is there anything i can do to change that?

@lpxaudio you soldered the new LEDs in series which lowers the voltage to each light. You needed to have it in parallel with the original lights. just google the difference between them if you dont know it.

nice write up

but what's up with the GT-R ??

nice write up

but what's up with the GT-R ??

dude, if thats the only thing you see wrong with that interior then congratulations

how did you put that switch on lol?

sorry one question. Can I replace my 2009 orange control panel with a 2014 one (the one in colours) ?

I mean, the connection port is the same?

Thanks