Ektor

Boosting The 4b11

72 posts in this topic

Ive recieved several PMs about my opinion on boosting the 4B11... this is basically what ive answered... hope it helps a bit...

Well, boosting the 4b11 is possible.. now its not just slapping a turbo kit on it... i would say that around 8psi max... another thing is monitoring... if you are gonna boost an engine, specially if it is stock, you need to monitor it correctly.. that means a boost gauge, a REAL a/f meter, not an autozone $60 one... usually the good ones (wideband) will run for approx $150+ and will meter the a/f combination through volts, not a pretty christmas tree haha... the third thing and very important is the pyrometer, better known as EGT (exhaust gas temperature) also, this has to be a good one... this and a good A/F meter will be the key of tuning your car. because the turbo has an oil feed, is imperative for you to have an oil meter as well... usually i recommend a digital meter so you dont have to run an oil line into the car... this is usually more expensive, but what do you prefer? spending some extra cash, or a pool of oil inside your car because a line went boom? now with that monitoring system and a good fuel management system, you can tune your car properly... most of the time, this is more important than the actual turbo kit you install... with the bone stock 4b11, i really dont know if you would need a fuel management system... the only way i can think that you can figure out is to dyno it, measuring the a/f mix and the behavior of your engine... most dyno places have their own wideband a/f meter, but it is always good to have your own, so you can monitor what is going on with your car and you, at the same time learn how to do it yourself.

so looking at numbers here, for your metering system you would need:

Wideband A/f: 150-500

decent boost gauge: 100-300

EGT meter: 150 - 400

Oil pressure guage (digital) approx 250

good fuel management system: 500-2000 ( i love the AEM one > http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/aemems.htm )

some good sites that i like for monitoring gear:

http://www.boostcontroller.com

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTS.php

so as you can see, only in monitoring and management gear, to be able to tune your car correctly runs for approx $1200.. and this would be a ~ decent rig... i say decent cause for example, the AEM ems runs for approx 1500 by itself...

now to all this add the actuall turbo kit: turbo, IC, piping, couplers, clamps, boost controller, BOV, filter AND PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION... this will run anywhere from 1000 - 3000....

all this is just to a stock engine, running at 5-8psi to not blow it up... upgrading to the correct internals to be able to run 15+ psi, is another story...

do you really think its worth the 5000+ to do it correctly and ad 50-70whp?

I'll leave that one for you to answer..

hopefully this helps :)

Comments and Opinions are always welcomed :rolleyes:

Great post man! Really helps... I knew there was a lot involved to make it work right, but I guess I didn't think about adding everything up for the amount of Hp you will gain. So my conclusion on this would be unless there is an outstanding turbo kit that comes out it is not worth it :( We can always hope Mitsu comes out with a bolt on kit which I think "could" be possible. But hey on a positive note we have a very nice looking car, decent performance and with a few bolt on mods non turbo we could have some decent horsepower. Well at least it looks fast (l) maybe intimidate people and they won't want to race (l) (l) (l) (l) (l) (l)

hey, and not to promote street racing, but i already tried the 'auto DE' with a scion tc and a saturn ION.... victory was on my side haha... so we arent toooo bad haha

Cool because like I said I have had cars with 300-400 hp and it was great, but right now I have a Scion tC and don't get me wrong it's a good car and by all means it's not "fast" but I am content with it so really I just want to make sure the GTS CVT was at least comparable.

I am really happy with my car... just enjoy the awesome car.... OOOR call KRU and have him do some crazy sh!t haha

(l) I hear ya! F**k it. I'll get one and deal with the performance upgrades in the future.. The longer the car is out the better the upgrades will be! Thanks for the help bro!

Ive recieved several PMs about my opinion on boosting the 4B11... this is basically what ive answered... hope it helps a bit...

Well, boosting the 4b11 is possible.. now its not just slapping a turbo kit on it... i would say that around 8psi max... another thing is monitoring... if you are gonna boost an engine, specially if it is stock, you need to monitor it correctly.. that means a boost gauge, a REAL a/f meter, not an autozone $60 one... usually the good ones (wideband) will run for approx $150+ and will meter the a/f combination through volts, not a pretty christmas tree haha... the third thing and very important is the pyrometer, better known as EGT (exhaust gas temperature) also, this has to be a good one... this and a good A/F meter will be the key of tuning your car. because the turbo has an oil feed, is imperative for you to have an oil meter as well... usually i recommend a digital meter so you dont have to run an oil line into the car... this is usually more expensive, but what do you prefer? spending some extra cash, or a pool of oil inside your car because a line went boom? now with that monitoring system and a good fuel management system, you can tune your car properly... most of the time, this is more important than the actual turbo kit you install... with the bone stock 4b11, i really dont know if you would need a fuel management system... the only way i can think that you can figure out is to dyno it, measuring the a/f mix and the behavior of your engine... most dyno places have their own wideband a/f meter, but it is always good to have your own, so you can monitor what is going on with your car and you, at the same time learn how to do it yourself.

good fuel management system: 500-2000 ( i love the AEM one > http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/aemems.htm )

so as you can see, only in monitoring and management gear, to be able to tune your car correctly runs for approx $1200.. and this would be a ~ decent rig... i say decent cause for example, the AEM ems runs for approx 1500 by itself...

now to all this add the actuall turbo kit: turbo, IC, piping, couplers, clamps, boost controller, BOV, filter AND PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION... this will run anywhere from 1000 - 3000....

all this is just to a stock engine, running at 5-8psi to not blow it up... upgrading to the correct internals to be able to run 15+ psi, is another story...

Comments and Opinions are always welcomed :rolleyes:

Well done. With that being said, the "turbo kits" are more than just bolting it on and going. As you mentioned the tuning aspect of it, plays a real big part in it. I dont know how many turbos, heads, etc...I have gone through just to get it right. I am still trying to tune my 2g and I have that car for 7 years!!!

The modest 8psi will want you to create more boost. Thats where internals like injectors, low comp pistons and such will empty your pockets real quick.

I am not trying to discourage anyone of boosting your 08 by any means. Just do a lot of research and have patience...the more you know :D

research is your friend.. not because X company says that the kit is for your car, doesnt mean that its the best way to go.. i was in the DSM scene for over 4 years, and i read more than a law school student haha... not mentioning all the money that i spent on my car, and all the sweat and tears i went thru... i was and am still part of the respectable sites like team-2g.com dsmtuners.com and dsmtalk.com.... with those 3 sites and like2 years of reading and experimenting, you will know what is correct for your car.. that is why i dont have a turbo system in my car ;)

besides im a broke B!tch (l)

i cant risk my warranty just like that

So if your not going to Turbo the car, what are the best things to do to get the most power from an Normally Aspirated motor?

besides im a broke B!tch (l)

i cant risk my warranty just like that

lol i'm with u on that one... (l) (l)

intake, exahust, headers, better injectors, throttle body spacer

More expensive stuff

Cams, high comp pistons, bore out, etc.

So would it be cheaper to boost an N/A engine or a Turbocharged engine?

So would it be cheaper to boost an N/A engine or a Turbocharged engine?

:wacko: what!?!?!

well, following your statement, a turbocharged would be cheaper..................... cause its already boosted :blink:

now, if you are talking about whats cheaper to mod, it all depends, an already boosted engine, is easier to add bolt-on mods like other turbos, BOV, wastegates, piping, FMIC and whatnot.... that compared to boosting a NA car, is alot cheaper...

now if you want to make a NA car fast, bolt ons will add a bit of hp (i personally dont believe in bolts on) but what really is going to make your NA car faster (REAL MEANING OF FAST) you need to invest in internals, engine management and fuel system to make a fast all motor car....

if you want to make a car fast enough that you can say "holy shizzle, this thing is fast" you will spend alota money... theres no 'cheap' way to make ANY car faster (the real meaning of FASTER) this is a misconception that alot of people have..... and if you are gonna spend 5-10 grand in making a car fast, just save that amount of money, plus the money you spent on you "not fast car" and buy a "factory FAST car" like an evo, sti, nsx, vette, camaro, charger etc etc etc.. and that will be fast WITH factory warranty :D

Naw dawg! What I meant was is it cheaper to take an N/A and just add parts to make it faster. Or is it cheaper to take an N/A engine and add a turbo to it, with the results ending up around the same HP. But thanks for the info you supplied anyways

Lol Hector. Yes we all know that you love boosting

:D

Comments and Opinions are always welcomed

:rolleyes:
i have a 2208 lancer ES CVT is it worth to put it on boost

^ do it!!!!

so you went to the future and mitsu was still making lancers!? :blink:

so you went to the future and mitsu was still making lancers!? :blink:
lol

He meant 2008, come on now! I say it's not worth it and just save and when you have the right amount, get a FAST car already that has a turbo and warranty on the turbo.

I will prob just wait and trade in for a ralliart I guess...the CVT has really let me down...mitsu had to go cheap somewhere ;/

mitsu went cheap everywhere with this car, thats why its not an evo.......... and most auto trannys stock can't handle too much power.

prob true...this is my first automatic....

well im going to try and go turbo anyways...i dont think anyone has shown proof that the cvt can't handle more power...im not talking 300+ im talking about adding around 50 - 75 more hp. ive started planning and buying already

And guys ektor has prices that are accurate...but you can also find them for cheaper if you just look around...and them AEM fuel management system is WAY too expensive...if you wanted to get something like that then you should just get a ralliart because in fuel management alone you are paying 1500? lolwtf.

My build will not cost me more than 1k....but that is also including me getting all the parts at GOOD prices if not free. Im not sure when I will be finished...but I will keep it under 1k!

well im going to try and go turbo anyways...i dont think anyone has shown proof that the cvt can't handle more power...im not talking 300+ im talking about adding around 50 - 75 more hp. ive started planning and buying already

And guys ektor has prices that are accurate...but you can also find them for cheaper if you just look around...and them AEM fuel management system is WAY too expensive...if you wanted to get something like that then you should just get a ralliart because in fuel management alone you are paying 1500? lolwtf.

My build will not cost me more than 1k....but that is also including me getting all the parts at GOOD prices if not free. Im not sure when I will be finished...but I will keep it under 1k!

I just can't wait for someone to actually do it to be honest. It's been long enough, someone do it already!!