NULL

How To: Clean Your Throttle Body

32 posts in this topic

Anyone intrested in this?

clean throttle body=good performance, so yes im interested.

Ok cool..Ill have it up in a few.

I deff want to know about this

Ok here we go.

1st of all, the air intake pipe to the throttle body muz b removed...after removed, u will then see the TB...

th1.jpg

the TB is secured by 4 bolts...(in orange circles)...the 2 coolant hoses muz b removed too...they r secured by clips...(in blue boxes)...the electrical plug oso muz b unclip n remove...

after TB is removed,

th2.jpg

th3.jpg

cleaning in progress...

th4.jpg

th5.jpg

th6.jpg

^^^A degreaser n toothbrush was used here to clean the TB...

After all the cleaning, you got a fresh tb ..

th7.jpg

th8.jpg

ps: the TB will b very dirty if u r using openpod/closed pod/aftermarket filter (especially SS type, HKS high flow filter, etc...) after some time...once very dirty, it will cause engine check light to lite up...n intermittent power loss will occur...

for those non-tech person, best to pay ppl to clean...

Enjoy.

thanks zero! nice how to, how often do u think a throttle body should be cleaned? for example if u still have a stock intake system? and if u have an am intake system?

Thanks ...once I change my intake this will come in handy.

It probably doesn't get as clean but I would just use "Throttle Body / Carb Cleaner" with a sturdy paper towel or soft disposable cloth to clean mine while it is still bolted on. Spray the cleaner on the towel, then wipe like crazy, being prepared for akward hand angles. And be prepared to work at it a little longer, but you save a lot of time not taking it off.

Great right up, this can be pretty useful.

nice how to zero....ill have to try this tommorow...how often do we need to clean our TB's?

every 15,000 miles?

Did any of you guys get a chance to do it?

Just had my 45k check up. Dealer said there was a carbon build up in my throttle body. Wanted $129 to do it. Luckily I checked the site before I agreed, I'll be doing this tomorrow. Thanks!

Alright I gave up on this after I got to removing those tubes that connect to the TB. I couldn't get those damn clips off to save my life. Maybe I'll try again another day.

Ummm if you remove those tubes isn't coolant going to leak everywhere? You might want to clamp the hoses somehow before you remove the clips.

Btw I use vice-grips to remove clips like those.

Yeah, when undoing the tubes won't there be stuff dripping? this is the only thing keeping me from doing this next spring.

Ummm if you remove those tubes isn't coolant going to leak everywhere? You might want to clamp the hoses somehow before you remove the clips. Btw I use vice-grips to remove clips like those.
I didnt personaly do this. It was done by a friend. But any added info is always helpful. So thanks for your input.

wow thats nice to know thanks joey

THX ZERO :D I love to be clean 2
:-c2 No problem, anytime. Always here to help and enlight B)

I just installed an AEM cold air intake and since I saw this post I went ahead and cleaned the TB on my 08 lancer GTS, it has 40K and it did have some carbon deposits that needed to be cleaned so thanks ZERO since it helped a lot, one thing was that the cooling fluid does come out if you dont plug the hoses, all i did was grab a screwdriver and a ziploc bag to plug the whose while i cleaned the TB.