Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
athmak15

CVT Drag Racing Technique

20 posts in this topic

We learned to manipulate the CVT to extract what little power the engine offers by first engaging the manual mode until the engine reached redline (at about 45 mph), then popped it over into "Drive" to take advantage of the CVT's ability to maintain near-redline for the remainder of the acceleration run. This is because the CVT's manual mode uses more advantageous gearing (from a standstill) than Drive does. Left in Drive, the engine doesn't reach redline until almost 75 mph, and all acceleration times increase by at least one second across the board. We "gamed" it in a way most people never would. This engine revs smoothly, but sounds positively horrible and all the racket comes through the firewall.

Pulled this off of InsideLine. Wanted to make sure the CVT guys were aware of this because I wasn't when I had my 08 CVT. TU

Yea we pretty well known about this from the post how to drive cvt long time ago.

But good find, this will help the new owner of cvt

CVT and drag racing should never be put in the same sentence haha

wanna race?? ;-)

wanna race?? ;-)
I'm waiting on my counter-weighted carbon fiber shift knob for my CVT, then we can race!

wanna race?? ;-)
I'm waiting on my counter-weighted carbon fiber shift knob for my CVT, then we can race!
haha i alrdy have my cf cvt shift boot and knob rdy so no advantage for you ;-)

wanna race?? ;-)
hah agreed, cvt and drag equals no. ill race you. ill spank you, take ur car and ur girlfriend and ur dignity

wanna race?? ;-)
hah agreed, cvt and drag equals no. ill race you. ill spank you, take ur car and ur girlfriend and ur virgnity
fixed.

we destroy mazda3's =] my friend beats me off the line after that bye bye ;-)

we destroy mazda3's =] my friend beats me off the line after that bye bye ;-)
Thats good to know next time I'm at a stoplight with one. I'm manual too so it will have no chance

well i believe even a stick gts vs cvt the cvt will still win ;-) beat me off the line u might... but i can keep it @ higher rpms while u have to keep gaining power ;-)

MT is faster so we will lose Phil.

cvt ftl for racing

this technique wont work for me lol i dont have the option to shift my CVT just D :(

Ryan.....CVT is pretty much an Auto tranny but it dont shift gears....you probably talking about the manual mode THEN switch to D ....the DE models do not have that!!! o well i still beat lots of cars tho ;) ...but wondering if you abuse your car if you start at L mode then shift it back to D.....the L mode pulls kinda crazy when you give it more gas

I know what a CVT tranny is lol i am saying it doesnt have the option to shift it into "manual" mode. I have an ES and mine doesnt have it either. Your right it still does beat a lot of cars like that Civic coupe i ATE alive on 95 on my way home from work lol "L" is technically engine braking if you are going downhill and dont want to overheat your brakes. I still use it quite often though for what its meant though engine braking. I have never really tried to accelerate with it i might have to try it.

Also my ABS light came on today cause i pulled the e brake while trying to spin the tires. It apparently didn't like that but it went away on its on.

well i believe even a stick gts vs cvt the cvt will still win ;-) beat me off the line u might... but i can keep it @ higher rpms while u have to keep gaining power ;-)
ive driven both....... cvt is straight poop compared to the manual. ill fall a sleep form the complete boredom caused by that transmission.

ive driven both....... cvt is straight poop compared to the manual. ill fall a sleep form the complete boredom caused by that transmission.
i have cvt, and i agree!!...no use for a muffler man haha, straight up annoying! still researching for something not too loud

i have a GT (ES in the states)

And I always pop it into L then push into D if I am racing

L gives you a much higher RPM faster

I have a Magnaflow exhaust, and yes it is kinda annoying but when I driving normally i kinda just let go of the gas when I am accelerating to make it sound like i am shifting :P