Welcome to Project Lancer

Welcome to Project Lancer, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Project Lancer by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Join Now

Forgot your password? Not to worry just click on the link below.

Lost Password

Having Technical issues? Please contact the staff here at Project Lancer and let us know whats wrong.

admin@projectlancer.net

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rrm Pulley Install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HatrixMouse

HatrixMouse

• Lifetime Member
  • 541 posts
  • Car:2009 Rally Red Lancer GTS

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

OPTION 1: Use the 'Search' field: FAILED

So, I took my GTS into the shop today to get my Eibach Sportline and RRM Crank Pulley installed. About half way through the day, my mechanic calls me and says he wasn't so sure about the pulley install, because the RRM pulley did not have a rubber damper on it (for vibrations), like the OEM pulley had on it, so he didn't install it. He said there was one installed on an Eclipse and it ended up snapping the crank pulley bolt (I found another case like this on Evom).

Question for those WITH the pulley: have you had any problems with it whatsoever? And if so, what happened?

Also reading Evom, I noticed a thread that stated the RRM pulley was balanced, so that it didn't need the damper like the OEM pulley did, because it didn't have as much strain from the belts or something... true or not? I've already e-mailed RRM for their response.

Comments? Please fill me in! Thanks a lot.

| EXTERIOR | Varrstoen 2.2.2 18x8.5 w/ BFGoodrich GeForce T/A 245/40 | 3M 30% Tint Around | Blackout Front Bumper | Blackout OEM Projector Headlights /w DDM Tuning 35w 6k HIDs | LED Tail Lights Smoked2" Perrin Short Antenna | RallyArmor UR Mudflaps | OEM Evo X Hood | Scorpion Motorsports V-Lip | INTERIOR | LED Glow Red LED Footwell Kit | Red Painted Dash Trim | AEM UEGO Wideband | GlowShift  Oil Pressure Gauge | RexSpeed Evo X 'A' Pillar Double Gauge Pod | Ralliart Aluminum Pedals | PERFORMANCE | Injen 2.4L SRI Intake | Tsudo N1 Catback Racing Exhaust | Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs | RRM 2.4L Crankshaft Pulley | TWM Short Shifter Kit | TWM Shifter Base Bushings | RRM 3-Point Strut Tower Bar | RPW Stage 2BR Flash Tune

#2 jRox

jRox

DRL Destroyer!

• Retired Admin
  • 6,874 posts
  • Car:09 Lancer RA
  • ROTM :Oct 2011

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

Had the RRM Pulley in my GTS. IMHO, the difference was minimal. Personally I'd stick with the stock pulley as it does have the harmonic damper.

Although, many people run it with no problems.

#3 chetman7

chetman7

Elite

• Supporting Member
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

I've been running the pulley for over 2 years....no problems what so ever

#4 furyschild

furyschild

Elite

• Banned
  • 1,161 posts
  • Car:2008 Lancer Gts WW

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

A pulley with out the dampner can cause damage , micro-vibrations of the crank can cause bearing damage internally , not a immediate failure but over time it progressively worsen and lead to pre-mature failure .

A better option is Alutec Light-Weight Balanced Crank Pulley .
Offers the weight savings and balancing features .
Cost is more , but benefit is worth it .
2008 Wicked White Lancer Gts , Evo X hood , Ralliart rear bumper and exhaust , K&N filter , 215/45/18 Pirreli P-Zero Neros , Tinted glass 5% rear , moleskins , 3-d Eyelids,Mitsubishi seat towels ,Alutec Lightweight Balanced Crank Pulley , RalliArt Intake Duct , RalliArt pedal covers , Leather center console armrest , 2011 Evo X 8000k HID Projector Headlights, more to be done ....

http://9glancers.com/

#5 HatrixMouse

HatrixMouse

• Lifetime Member
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

I've gotten an e-mail response back from RRM, and here's what they said:

IT does not have the dampner but it is not needed because the engine has balance shafts. Old time mechanics are used to seeing dampner. It is not a problem We have NEVER HAD A FAILURE REPORTED TO US. never.
Not even a remote issue due to this part. Thanks RRM

Now, do we believe what they say and continue installing it, or assume they just want money?

| EXTERIOR | Varrstoen 2.2.2 18x8.5 w/ BFGoodrich GeForce T/A 245/40 | 3M 30% Tint Around | Blackout Front Bumper | Blackout OEM Projector Headlights /w DDM Tuning 35w 6k HIDs | LED Tail Lights Smoked2" Perrin Short Antenna | RallyArmor UR Mudflaps | OEM Evo X Hood | Scorpion Motorsports V-Lip | INTERIOR | LED Glow Red LED Footwell Kit | Red Painted Dash Trim | AEM UEGO Wideband | GlowShift  Oil Pressure Gauge | RexSpeed Evo X 'A' Pillar Double Gauge Pod | Ralliart Aluminum Pedals | PERFORMANCE | Injen 2.4L SRI Intake | Tsudo N1 Catback Racing Exhaust | Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs | RRM 2.4L Crankshaft Pulley | TWM Short Shifter Kit | TWM Shifter Base Bushings | RRM 3-Point Strut Tower Bar | RPW Stage 2BR Flash Tune

#6 furyschild

furyschild

Elite

• Banned
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

I've gotten an e-mail response back from RRM, and here's what they said:

Now, do we believe what they say and continue installing it, or assume they just want money?

Maybe they should read the Mitsubishi factory service manual ,
because the 4B10/11/12 series of engines do indeed have a harmonic balancer in the crank pulley
Section 11A page 10 .
So guess Mitsubishi is one not being truthful ?
According to RRM guess not .

As far as no one reporting it to them , try to get thru to them on phone , their customer service sucks.
2008 Wicked White Lancer Gts , Evo X hood , Ralliart rear bumper and exhaust , K&N filter , 215/45/18 Pirreli P-Zero Neros , Tinted glass 5% rear , moleskins , 3-d Eyelids,Mitsubishi seat towels ,Alutec Lightweight Balanced Crank Pulley , RalliArt Intake Duct , RalliArt pedal covers , Leather center console armrest , 2011 Evo X 8000k HID Projector Headlights, more to be done ....

#7 lancer0220

lancer0220

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

dont install it, gains are minimal if any and its not worth it as it could cause damage in the long run.

#8 HatrixMouse

HatrixMouse

• Lifetime Member
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

So, I've responded to their email with:

Thank you for that information. Upon doing a little research on my own, I came across the Mitsubishi Service Manual for the 4B11/4B12 engines, and it states on Section 11A page 10, that the engine's crankshaft pulley has a harmonic balancer within them. I would like to know your thoughts/opinions on this matter, because I would feel uneasy replacing a part that doesn't have original manufacturer specifications, for fear it would damage my engine, thus voiding its warranty.

Thank you

Let's see what they say next! (Ooh, this is exciting, and they probably are extremely annoyed with me already.)

#9 jRox

jRox

DRL Destroyer!

• Retired Admin
  • 6,874 posts
  • Car:09 Lancer RA
  • ROTM :Oct 2011

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

IT does not have the dampner but it is not needed because the engine has balance shafts. Old time mechanics are used to seeing dampner. It is not a problem We have NEVER HAD A FAILURE REPORTED TO US. never.
Not even a remote issue due to this part. Thanks RRM

I'm actually confused by this. If they've had no issues with the pulley, why did they come out with a second version?

#10 furyschild

furyschild

Elite

• Banned
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

So, I've responded to their email with:

Let's see what they say next! (Ooh, this is exciting, and they probably are extremely annoyed with me already.)

Just get the Alutec lightweight balancer pulley , Its balanced and weighted already . [attachment=715:Alutec_Crank_Pul_4c0246640b605_90x90.jpg]

#11 tcheek

tcheek

Lurker

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Car:08 GTS Electric Blue

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

i just read about another persons rrm pulley failing, which makes the list that i have heard of over 5. I am not by any means ever going to look into their pulley as i have heard nothing but bad about it. Also in my one experience with RRM, they suck. They never responded to my email and it took a couple months to get my part. Just my 2 cents

#12 HatrixMouse

HatrixMouse

• Lifetime Member
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

Just get the Alutec lightweight balancer pulley , Its balanced and weighted already . [attachment=715:Alutec_Crank_Pul_4c0246640b605_90x90.jpg]

Well, the sad part is, I've already gotten the RRM pulley, and now need to sell it before I get the Alutec one. :S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users