Welcome to Project Lancer

Welcome to Project Lancer, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Project Lancer by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Join Now

Forgot your password? Not to worry just click on the link below.

Lost Password

Having Technical issues? Please contact the staff here at Project Lancer and let us know whats wrong.

admin@projectlancer.net

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Overheating

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 srender13

srender13

Lurker

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hello PL community, lately my car has been overheating when it's hot, and on long road trips. (Driving from Colorado Springs to Denver) Mostly, started happening after I installed my Intake (Injen CAI.) Checked all clamps, and connections on the intake, everything is good there. I'm thinking I need to replace my Thermostat, or take my car to the dealer and have them reconfigure the ECU? I'm kinda at a loss, has anyone else ran into this problem? Oh, when this happens I don't get any acceleration, and have the text "Slow Down" on my HUD thing.

Thanks for your time.

~srender13

#2 jRox

jRox

DRL Destroyer!

• Retired Admin
  • 6,872 posts
  • Car:09 Lancer RA
  • ROTM :Oct 2011

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

Remove the negative terminal from your battery for 15-20minutes. Then bolt it back in place. See how if that solves your problem. If not, remove your intake and have the dealer figure it out.

#3 lancer0220

lancer0220

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

I think thats the CVT transmission over heating not the engine, how many miles on your car, is your car indeed a CVT automatic ? What trim is your lancer (de es or gts) ?

#4 srender13

srender13

Lurker

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

I think thats the CVT transmission over heating not the engine, how many miles on your car, is your car indeed a CVT automatic ? What trim is your lancer (de es or gts) ?

Yes, CVT. 2008 GTS. Have 30k miles on it. Rounding up.

#5 DSTR0YTHERUNNER

DSTR0YTHERUNNER

I Am The Master Chief!

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Car:2009 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Lancer DE

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

hmm i would go with jrox on this one. put your stock intake back on, and go have your dealer check it out.. you should still be under warranty if im not mistaken. good luck getting that figured out.

btw, that is funny that the hud says "slow down" i have never heard of that before haha

http://i393.photobuc...anasig1.jpg" />

View My Progress Thread!

"If you want to play big, you gotta pay big!"

-Visual-

[X] Blacked Out Front Grille | [X] Tinted Tail Lights (VHT Nightshades) | [X] De-Badged | [X] 15% Window Tint | [X] White LED Strips Behind Grille

[X] White LED Eyelashes | [X] Jrox DRL Bypass | [X] HID 35w 6000k Lowbeams | [X] Red LED Strips Under Dashboard | [X] XXR 522 18x8.5 +30

[] Achilles ATR Sport 225/45/18 | [] EvoX OEM Window Visors | [] White LED Strips In Both Headlights | [] OEM Fog Lights | [] Sharkfin Antenna

[] Blacked Out Roof | [] Duckbill Trunk | [] ARS HL2 Front Lip | [] ARS HL Rear Lip | [] GTS Xtreme Sideskirts

-Performance-

[X] Injen Cold Air Intake | [X] K&N Air Filter | [X] Eibach Sportline Springs | [] Injen SES Exhaust | [] Port and Polish | [] RRM Headers | [] Tuned By Kings Perfomance

#6 lancer0220

lancer0220

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Yes, CVT. 2008 GTS. Have 30k miles on it. Rounding up.

when you installed the intake the only thing your messing with that has anything to do with the transmission is the CVT cooler. More details about the duration of your travels and the temperature which causes this message to appear might be helpful in understanding your problem. Also, How many times has this happened ?

Problem with taking it back to the dealer is most likely between the time that the "slow down" message appears and the time he goes to the dealer any DTC (if any) that would be set probably clears itself once the trans temperatures come back into range. So when you tell the dealer my car is saying "slow down" they will probably assume you are doing something you shouldn't and they most likely will not be able to replicate the problem....since according to the OP this only happens on long trips or in extremely hot temperatures...

thinking about it again...the dealership will probably tell you some BS that you should follow the "severe maintenance" schedule and tell you that you must do a CVT transmission drain/refill in order to prevent the transmission from overheating again. It could be a fluke or if it has occurred more than a few times it could be a sign that you do need to do a transmission fluid drain/refill...

I know on two separate road trips in hot temperatures on the way to Houston (2-3 hr trip) I got warnings while driving at 75mph that I needed to service my TPMS (not just the low tire pressure warning but the warning to service the system) , I immediately pulled over assuming two or more tires were too low, upon inspection everything was a-ok and I never saw the warning again. On my drive to California (which is much longer) I never saw the warning, and 40k miles later (currently at 59k miles)I have yet to see the warning again.

#7 Jerky

Jerky

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Car:09 gts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

its my understanding that when installing the injen cold air, onto a cvt car, there is a mounting bracket that comes with the intake to reposition the tranny cooler. im not 100% on this, but either moving it or not moving it might have something to do with it not getting enough air to cool it down.

#8 srender13

srender13

Lurker

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

Right on, will give the advice a shot! Thanks for the quick, and informative responses. Gonna try replacing the thermostat anyway, seeing as how I already got it. If it's a no go, I will take out the intake and take it to the dealer.

#9 Poncho

Poncho

Elite

• Super Moderator
  • 2,872 posts
  • Car:His&Hers RA
  • ROTM :September 2011, September 2012, September 2013

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

hey i see ur in the springs where about? and whats your car look like?

Yeah Buddy est. 2010

#10 Poncho

Poncho

Elite

• Super Moderator
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

maybe i can help you i just put the CAI in my car...not problems yet lol

Yeah Buddy est. 2010

#11 Bladed

Bladed

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Car:2008 Lancer GTS CVT

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Double check the transmission cooler. It's definitely not the engine overheating since it doesn't say "slow down" when the engine is hot, only when the transmission is. And seeing how the transmission cooler is the only thing you touched when putting in the CAI, it's probably loose, restricted, or broken or something.
[X] Injen CAI 2.0L , [X] Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust , [X]Mishimoto Evo X Radiator , [X] Mishimoto Evo X silicone hose kit (blue) ,[X] High flow Water Pump
[ ] Alutec RPW Crank Pulley , [ ] Headers (RPW or DC Sports) , [ ] RPW ECU Reflash Tune
[X] VLED Super Bright White Dome and License Plats Lights, [X] White Cold Cathode tubes in footwells, [X] PlastiDip Blacked out front bumper
[ ] TSW Nurburgring RF 18x8 Matte Gunmetal Rims

#12 srender13

srender13

Lurker

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:52 PM

hey i see ur in the springs where about? and whats your car look like?

South springs, Hancock and Delta. Car is TB, Exhaust and Intake is all I have. Still pretty much stock.

#13 Poncho

Poncho

Elite

• Super Moderator
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

sweet i know where thats at...you can see my pics i drive a WW 09 GTS blacked out front with injen CAI and GREDDY T-IC exhaust...idk if i've seen u around...im on Ft. Carson so...

Yeah Buddy est. 2010

#14 srender13

srender13

Lurker

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

sweet i know where thats at...you can see my pics i drive a WW 09 GTS blacked out front with injen CAI and GREDDY T-IC exhaust...idk if i've seen u around...im on Ft. Carson so...

Right on, need to meet up some time.

#15 Poncho

Poncho

Elite

• Super Moderator
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

for sure i can try to help u out with whatever problem your having with ur CAI or what not...whenever and where ever im always off and have free time in the evenings and go out on the weekends and chill with ppl at the shell across from chapel hills mall on the corner of N. Academy and briargate... u got FB?

Yeah Buddy est. 2010

#16 lancer0220

lancer0220

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Double check the transmission cooler. It's definitely not the engine overheating since it doesn't say "slow down" when the engine is hot, only when the transmission is. And seeing how the transmission cooler is the only thing you touched when putting in the CAI, it's probably loose, restricted, or broken or something.

exactly like i said its most likely something to do with what he did during the injen CAI installation.

OP, if you do put back to stock and go to the dealer make sure you also put the tranny cooler back to its original spot, carefully match up the lines on the bolts as close
as possible otherwise they will know you messed with your transmission cooler and may come up with some clever claim that you messed with it
lost some fluid and now your overheating...

#17 srender13

srender13

Lurker

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

exactly like i said its most likely something to do with what he did during the injen CAI installation.

OP, if you do put back to stock and go to the dealer make sure you also put the tranny cooler back to its original spot, carefully match up the lines on the bolts as close
as possible otherwise they will know you messed with your transmission cooler and may come up with some clever claim that you messed with it
lost some fluid and now your overheating...

Thanks for the advice, gonna check that first, as soon as I have some free time.

#18 Angeal

Angeal

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Car:LANCER VRX TURBO

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

recommend getting a tactrix open-port 2.0 and using evoscan to diagnose the problem. with these you can easily diagnose, log and sometimes fix problems you may come across. not bad for under $200 and you can find vid tutorials all over the web.
the dealer will charge you a diagnosis fee which alone is almost half this price and its probably a problem you can fix yourself.
http://www.tactrix.c...chk=1&Itemid=53
http://www.evoscan.com/

#19 matchstick

matchstick

• Supporting Member
  • 771 posts
  • Car:2008 Lancer GTS Aqua

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

OK, The Slow Down msg, is ONLY for the CVT Tranny overheating, that is a fact. It is NOT the engine coolant overheating, so replacing the thermostat is the wrong solution and a waste of money.

The Injen CAI DOES comes with a bracket to relocate the CVT cooler so it get's proper airflow... and the fact that it happened after the CAI install should tell you that is the problem.
VTEC - Sometimes you need a catchy word to let the world know your car doesn't make power until 5000 RPM.
Posted Image

#20 Xterminater

Xterminater

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

My mistake about creating a new thread on this topic so I will simply copy n paste over here bc I did not see a clear solution to this issue yet :(

Hello all PL members and experts!

I have an 09 lancer es and I just changed it's cvt fluid last year at the mitsubishi dealer but today when driving on the highway for an hr at 75mph, i get a warning light to tell me to slow down!

I then look up what that means and it means my fluid is too hot. So the car as a safety precaution, slows down and then eventually went 0, like I couldn't accelerate at all, to prevent overheat. I then read more and they said i should put a intercooler in to help with that heating issue if it doesn't have one. Oh and by the way the temperature today was at 90 Fahrenheit, and I didn't abuse the car at all. All I have is a k&n intake filter with a short ram intake pipe from RRM v2.

Is there a way to fix this permanently, or should I just take this back to the original Mitsubishi dealer who put in the tranny fluid so they can see wtf they effed up at.

And how effective and cost will it be to install a intercooler.

Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users